mtbr member
    Oct 2007

UK Cannondale Warranty Problems

About 5 years ago I had a friend who worked for Cannondale in the UK. At the time he was a sales manager and as such offered me the chance to buy an ex-demo F2000SL (CAAD5) bike at a reduced price (at te time such bikes were never returned back to Holland but were sold off by the sales person responsible). This offer coincided with me getting a large bonus at work, so I took the opertunity as I knew that they didn't come around very often. This bike was a really nice bike and I was very happy indeed with it until about a year later the frame snapped at the rear dropout (disk brake side). Apparently, after speaking to my friend, this appeared to be a common fault so my friend arranged from me to get a warranty replacement. After about a month I was sent a shiny new F3000SL frame (they didn't have any 2000SL frames in the factory).
    Since getting my new frame I haven't ridden it much due to illness, injury and lack of money for new parts. About a year ago I finally got this bike up and running until in May this year I snapped the frame again (same place as last time). Unfortunatly my friend no longer works for Cannondale so I was unable to ask his help so instead I e-mailed Servicedesk Europe. After 2 weeks I hadn't heard anything so I phone up Cannondale Europe in Holland to speak to somebody. I was told that because I hadn't bought my bike through a dealer and I didn't have proof of purchase I wasn't entitled to a new frame dispite having a serial number for the frame (which I thought they might have a record of). The person I spoke to suggested that I e-mailed them with all of the details and he would pass it to the correct people to see if there was anything that they could suggest. After a number of weeks and several e-mails (sent by me - no responses ever recieved) I finally got a reply which said as far as they were concerned the bike was second hand as Cannondale don't sell directly to the public and as I didn't get it from a dealer I was not entitled to a warranty replacement. It was suggested to me that I got in touch with my friend to ask him if he could send them any information which may help. I did this and my friend very kindly sent an e-mail to them saying what his position within the company was, who he worked with at the time and how I came to get the bike. Since then I have e-mailed regularly to both Europe and UK e-mail addresses and phoned (a number in Holland which is all they will give me!) but have been passed around. When I send e-mails they are never returned and whenever I am told I will recieve a phone call I never do. Today after a lot of communication with teh person in Europe I have been told that as far as they are concerned I am still not eligable for a warranty replacement, however he did say that he would try one further thing and get back to me.
    Has anybody else had a problem like this? Has anybody got any suggestions as to what I can do next?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    You need to be the original owner and have the sales receipt and warranty card. That's it. Too bad you cant find the warranty card. Sounds like you are probably out of luck.

Good news is that if you have a couple hundred dollars(or less) to spend you can find a Furio or Optimo frame which use the same geometry, bb diameter, seat tube diameter as the CAAD5.You would not need to purchase any new parts.

The newer Caffeine uses a larger seat tube, I believe.

LA CHÈVRE
    I would at least try to pursue the 'one further thing' the guy told you about and never got back to you...

And you should break your text into paragraphs, makes it easier to read. Maybe the Dutch have a hard time reading to your emails.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :