mtbr member

Two questions about Crossmax whls...

Why can't I find Crosmax XL's for my lefty equipt Jekyll?
    And if they do not exist, would SL's hold up to an aggressive 200 pound Northeastern(US) trail rider like myself?
    Thanks,
    Brian

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Don't worry about the SLs, they are tough as nail.

EDR
    I deleted my post, just realized this was a lefty question (i know nothing about that, lol)

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Twon
    Don't worry about the SLs, they are tough as nail.
    I'm worried about the drops I always seem to encounter. My Jekyll is both my XC rig and my shuttle bike combined. If anyone else has additional input, I'd love to hear from you.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    If you are a line picker, you should be fine, if you are a huck off a cliff and hope type, they will serve you well, but you will not like the repair bill when they do crap out. I have had these since the became available for Lefty, and have had to true them once or twice in 4+ years. 180lbs, fast, light, aggressive, not nutty though, also in the Northeast, so I know your rocks and roots. Mavic now has the buyer protection plan, I would recommend it for the extra $80 ish bucks, well worth it in your case. Rims run about $200, and a full complement of spokes are needed for any rebuild, at $3 each, you get the idea. With the program, it's free, if I remember correctly, or dirt cheap. Ride on!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I don't know if I'm supposed to, but I often drop 3' to flat with my Scalpel w/ crossmax and I never had to true them. I weight 185 lbs btw.

So far this season, I had to change the bearing on both wheels, replace the ratchet and spacer on the back wheel. They do need alot of maintenance, but their structure is very strong.

mtbr member

Excellent info...

The XL's I had on my Santa Cruz took a great deal of abuse with little mantainance. Great wheelset. I was hoping to find a set for my Jekyll 1000. It sounds like if I buy the SL's I may just have to alter my style a bit.
    Not really a big deal. I'm no spring chicken, so this would be a great reason to start slowing down.
    Also, I just wanted to mention, I would never own anything but a Cannondale. I've had a lot of bikes, and still kept coming back to them. It is great to see them thriving, and I love the direction they are going. Thanks again for the help.
    Brian

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Crossmax XL for Lefty DOES exist!!!!!

In holland there is a company that makes BLACK leftty hubs of great quality (it is a company that makes custom parts for the BeOne Downhill team also. Their hub is also lighter that the mavic one) and they mount them im Mavic crossmaxx XL wheels. They sell them through a shop in holland:

More info and pictues (sexy) on:

http://www.akkermans2wielers.nl/wink...a6310f61b7b196

Price here is about 669 EURO for completre set
    Front wheel only 339.5 EURO
    HUB only 149 EURO

excl shipping....

I have spoken!

SmO
    Last edited by SmOScalpel; 10-14-2005 at 05:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SmOScalpel
    In holland there is a company that makes BLACK leftty hubs of great quality (it is a company that makes custom parts for the BeOne Downhill team also. Their hub is also lighter that the mavic one) and they mount them im Mavic crossmaxx XL wheels. They sell them through a shop in holland:

More info and pictues (sexy) on:

http://www.akkermans2wielers.nl/wink...a6310f61b7b196

Price here is about 669 EURO for completre set
    Front wheel only 339.5 EURO
    HUB only 149 EURO

excl shipping....

I have spoken!

SmO
    Nice wheel, but I little too expensive for my taste

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Made in Spain .You excuse me I do not speak very well, alone groins I speak Spanish

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Stupid question.
    If I were to invest in Mavic Cmx SL's for my P600, current Mavic 117's with stock tires, what weight savings do i realistcally expect? Do I keep things like the cassette?
    People toss around so many #'s...
    Tony

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CdaleTony
    Stupid question.
    If I were to invest in Mavic Cmx SL's for my P600, current Mavic 117's with stock tires, what weight savings do i realistcally expect? Do I keep things like the cassette?
    People toss around so many #'s...
    Tony
    Well, I won't toss numbers around, cause I have none at my fingertips right now, but.....They will be much stiffer, you'll notice it cornering in particular. They also spin up much faster, so acceleration will be improved. I run mine with standard non UST tires with Stan's in them, this combo is just unbeatable. I love mine! Need numbers, I can get them for you today, but I thought a heartfelt endorsement was in order= Also, the cassette you have is very heavy, but it's at the middle of the mass, so it mostly contributes to curbside weight.

Are you talking to me?

Come on, Tony.

If you buy a set of XL's, you know you NEED an upper end cassette to mount on it.
    gfy

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    If you buy a set of XL's, you know you NEED an upper end cassette to mount on it.
    sounds like Ti all the way then? The wife's not happy I bought another bike.I got a good deal on it from a nice guy locally...Then I found out he advert'ed on MTBR so I played dumb about the site since I didnt see is ad here..I have no idea why....I dunno.He seemed to knwo more about bikes than me, but thats not too hard..
    ..Ive been calling LBS and emailing people about said bike to make sure is my size or ridable..Ultimately I will have to ride it to see...Ha If I have to sell it the wife will never let me live it down! At least I know one guy who will take it for sure so I havent risked alot ...
    I sent Mendon a pic of it and he thought it looked super clean...Of course my CDT moniker remains intact !
    CDT

shiny side up

Cdale Tony, this is Tony with a Cdale...

I have wanted to use that line for a while now, but to somewhat answer your question. I have a prophet 2000 with the Mavic 819 rims with the cdale Fire Ti hubs (they have worked for me) and just upgraded to some Crossmax SL(s) I got off ebay. I was really hoping to save some weight from my current setup, but really didn't notice much when I had them both all apart. Granted I don't have a (grams) scale but with the old scientific one in one hand, one in the other - I could not tell any difference between the two. This was front compared to front and rear compared to rear - without rotors, tires, cassette, etc... everything removed, just wheel vs. wheel. I thought I could tell a slight difference in the front, the SL being slightly lighter, but the rears felt very much the same. I was a little dissapointed in this. However once on the bike, as Mendon said above I could tell the wheels were much stiffer around corners - made the bike feel more solid. And maybe it was the hundreds of dollars I just forked out, but I think they made me faster!
    Tony

Members who have read this thread: 0