Thread: Tuning a Lefty

mtbr member

Tuning a Lefty

I am not sure if this should go in the shock forums or not but being a lefty fork, I trust lefty users more. I am trying to figure out how to tune the rebound and such for my riding style? What am I supposed to feel for when I change it? some people say that once you find out how much rebound is good for you, they never have to touch it again even when climbing. I am new to both full suspension and lefty forks so I need some help. Thanks
    "hit hard, hit fast, hit often HOOAH!!!!"

Blog of mine: http://mtnsprts.blogspot.com

LA CHÈVRE
    When the rebound is too fast, you'll bounce around on the trail as the suspension will kick back after compression too quick. If it's too slow, on multiple hits (many successive bumps, rocks, roots...), the suspension wont have the time to come back up between each impact and will pack down... What you want is find the sweet spot between too fast and too slow. Does it make sense? Now, to do that, I'd start around the suggested rebound from the manual and then try it, adjust accordingly until you are happy.

Once I'm happy myself, I usually don't touch the rebound. Some like to change it depending on terrain or on long climbs but once I hop on my bike, I just go, pedal, have fun and forget about these things unless something annoys me...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member

Funny rebound story...

For the first six months I had my prophet, I had both the front and rear shock rebound dampening basically turned off (knob all the way to the fastest setting). I thought that regardless of what the setup guide told me, I would want the shock to return to it's original position as fast as possible.

Every time I went down steep, rough grades with speed, the front end of the bike would jump all around the place. I just thought I was a crappy rider

My friend then told me about how the rebound dampening works, and I set the knobs to what the manual tells you. OH MY GOD WHAT A DIFFERENCE LOL. I feel like such a goon for wasting 6 months of quality riding.

Anyway, rebound dampening is gooood

Like catnip for people
    I always change my rebound...

For general riding I always have my rebound on maximum + setting... Feels more plush.

If I'm riding a fast section with a lot of continuous impacts then you'd obviously want a slower rebound...

I remember having both front & rear on slow rebound and landing the bike after a jump felt like I was riding a rigid...