YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Tune or Extralite hubs?

I'm going to have someone build up a set of wheels for my Flash 29'er and need to chhose hubs. I'm leaning towards these two brands; Extralite and Tune. Going to do 32 spoke wheels with Carbon rims, I'm not a weight weenier...

So far I'm thinkig the advantage of Extralite is straight pull spoke design with a radial pattern on the front wheel for strength versus German bearing quiality and reliability on the Tune, though I assume that both hubs are going to be relatively higher maintanence than most other brands.

So anybody out there especially on the other side of the Atlantic that can give me any insights, I would really appreciate it. I'm going to choose in the next 5 days between these.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

LA CHÈVRE
    I wouldn't expect more maintenance than other hubs. When you look at all the Lefty hubs, they're basically a metal cylinder with two cartridge bearings at each ends, same sizes, same spacing...

I like the Extralite design better, looks more different... but the Tune is available in colors... Weight is not far between both but eliflap would know best...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I think I'm going to go Extralite after all. I like the idea of radial on the right side of the lefty and straightpull. Plus I don't really care about colored hubs, black will do.

These are going in Edge Composite tubular 29'er rims.

I'm a tubular rider on the road and my thought is I'll just carry a cross tire taped to the seatpost in case of flats.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

FIRENZE rulez !!
    black hub is cool .

radial is super cool .

i guess you will be first to have a Extralite hubbed front 29er wheel

mtbr member
    Me too. Wanted an extra wheelset for my Flash. It was either Extralite or Tune.
    I ended up with Tune cannonball SL because I wanted matching rear hub (Tune Prince) plus I liked the new (Froggy) Green
    Cannondale: Team Scalpel, Flash Ultimate, Hooligan 9
    Lynskey Pro26 with custom Lefty head tube
    Santa Cruz Nomad carbon

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Did you happen to look at the new Project 321 hub? I'm having a Stans rim built on one now...

New Project 321 Lefty Hub!

Quality stuff....
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

YB1
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I did look at the 321 front hub. It looks good but I was looking for a matched front/rear set.
    Emory Kalahari Kruiser

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YB1
    I did look at the 321 front hub. It looks good but I was looking for a matched front/rear set.
    This will soon be an option!