mtbr member
    May 2008

Tubeless with Reynolds 29er carbons and racing ralphs

For my first time going tubeless, I'm trying with the setup that came on my scalpel.

I got the tube pulled, put in the valve, set it up, and tried to pump it, but the beads don't seat (the tires/wheels are both tubeless ready, already have rim tape, etc). My LBS guys said to pump it up and seat the beads first, then put the slime in via an injector rather than just pour it into the tube right away.

I'm using a floor pump which didn't work, then my little car air compressor (the no tank kind). Valve stem was pulled. I think that I'm just not getting enough airflow to seat the tire? I don't have a compressor, but I do have co2 cartridges that I can try, haven't done that yet. It seems that the air is just not pushing the beads out on the tire well enough. Is there a trick to get them out on the edge so when I pump there is more of a chance they hold enough air to start seating?

I'm hoping to get this set up this week as I've got a race on the 11th and want to play with pressures a bit prior to that and see what I like.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    (I'm assuming your using your stock tires) Ive never had an easy time setting up Schwalble tires Tubeless. Your going to need to use a compressor. This was the case with my Enve's. I also have a a set of Reynolds for my Scalpel and had hoped they would be easier. For comparison sake, Specialized tires are breeze to setup. Co2 and done

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Are there any tricks to getting the tires to be almost seated prior to pumping? I tried putting an inner tube around the outside of the tread and pinching/pulling the sidewalls out towards the rim edge but that didn't seem to do it, at least with a floor pump.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Try using a tire lever to pull the tire to the rim edge first. I don't have any luck with floor pump on any tubeless ready tire, only true USTs. If you don't have a compressor. a CO2 cartridge should work. Also make sure you wet the tire bead with some soapy water, that helps a lot sealing up the air when you inflat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It's not easy with a floor pump. But it should be possible.

- Put an inner tube in the tire, pump it up until the tire "pops" into the rim bead.
    - Take out the air, remove the inner tube. Make sure one side of the tire is still seating in the rim bead.

This should make it a bit easier. I've always had problems with new tires though.... If you can find a compressor it'll really make it a lot easier.

mtbr member
    Never had a problem using a floor pump to set up Racing Ralphs or Specialized 2Bliss tires. I keep the beads in the center of the rim and then just pump and the pressure will expand the tires out and pop into place. Maybe try some soapy water to help seal any large air leaks. The soapy water also helps to snap the tire into the rim and avoid any tire wobbles.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm going to give it another shot, maybe tonight. I've had the tires tubed and riding them for a while so they've got the right shape. I will try to get the tube out without losing one of the beads, that should help. Does putting the slime in right away help it to seal better as well? I'll try the floor pump first but blast a co2 in there if I have to.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll try to update if I have luck or not.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by t51rmkiv View Post
    (I'm assuming your using your stock tires) Ive never had an easy time setting up Schwalble tires Tubeless. Your going to need to use a compressor. This was the case with my Enve's. I also have a a set of Reynolds for my Scalpel and had hoped they would be easier. For comparison sake, Specialized tires are breeze to setup. Co2 and done

Hello I also have reynolds tubeless wheels with my scalpel , they have come running tubes, is the yellow rim tape that comes fitted the sealing tape for tubeless? And also which tubeless valve stems are you running ? Your help would be most appriciated ,

Regards

Andy

mtbr member
    Save the hassle and use a compressor to seat the bead and if you pull the valve core out it goes that much faster...then add sealant. One thing that needs to be mentioned here is CO2 dries up sealant, it's alright to get you home but should be removed from the tire after the ride if your running sealant...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    They are pretaped for tubeless. You need to use longer stems. I havnt setup the Reynolds tubless yet but like the Enve's, they require a longer then standard stem. I plan on using the NO-Tubes stems with valve extender.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My bike came with a set of stems so I'm not sure I can tell you which ones to use.

Didn't get back to them last night, went for a ride instead. Maybe tonight I'll putz with it.

zenkem, thanks for the info on the co2 drying the sealant, if I end up using co2 to seat the bead I'll let it out and then refill with pump air.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Got them all set tonight. What I did differently tonight was put the slime in right away and just seated the beads with the co2. Pumped with a floor pump the rest of the way to 40psi to seat the beads, then let them sit and get shape. Now I've let the air out and refilled back up with the floor pump. No leaks, looks to be holding fine, and should be nice. Can't wait to try the bike out with it.

Now, what pressures should I start with? 25-30psi somewhere?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    That depends on your weight. I weigh 68 kgs, and ride with around 20F/22R PSI. RaRa 2.1s.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've gone on a couple rides now, feels good. I'm 210#, riding about 30psi so far.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Tubeless with Reynolds 29er carbons and racing ralphs

To update, I'm running about 26-27 front and 29-30 rear on any trails that have rocks where I may hit the rims with lower pressures. Trails I know for sure are smooth ill run 2-3psi lower.