mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Trying to replace the bars on my Scalpel...

I'm just getting back into biking after a number of years off. So, my mechanic skills are almost nil.

I've got a Monkey Lite DH riser bar to replace the stock flat bars. My problem is the aluminum sleeve on the stock C'dale XC3 stem won't fit over the bends in the new bar. Spoke with a Bikeline mechanic the other week and he told me to spread the sleeve with a wedge or similar tool. I'm concerned the sleeve may become warped or misshapen and damage the carbon bars when I tighten it down.

Any recommendations out there? I'd rather not replace the stem yet until I get some serious saddle time and learn to ride this bike properly.

Thanx

mtbr member

I have a 2007 scalpel

and that stem takes a 31.8 mm bar if you don't want to use the handle bar shim. If you want to use your 25.4 mm riser bar with the current shim, I think it would be better to cut the shim in two pieces along the long direction and sand the cuts smooth. If you bend it beyond the yield point, you may not be able to get a circular profile. I think you can buy a two piece handle bar shim if you don't want to mess with the one that came with the bike.

I just went ahead and bought a 31.8 mm RaceFace next XC carbon riser bar for $80 USD from cambria bike. Works great with the SI stem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

That's what I was thinking too.

Thanks. I'll look into getting a two piece replacement shim first. Cutting second.