All Lefty's, all the time Moderator

Trigger DYAD, overly compression damped?

Anyone else finding this, or is it just me, being spoiled by the super plushness of Rock Shox rear shocks?

I've played with this 6 ways from Sunday.

Inside of a 10/15 PSI range, I go from rubbery, overdamped, hyper progressive yuck, to feels okay, but I whack pedals constantly cause it's so soft.

Tried just pos changes, then added in neg changes to increase plushness.

Currently at 165+ 130-, I weigh 165 ish, say 170 ish with gear. 150+ 120-, wayyyy too soft

Currently, not impressed.

In other news, with the VR removed from the SuperMax and ~100psi? F'ing kick a$$.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

P.S. trying really hard to like this thing, the travel switch is great, perhaps I just hate Fox products as much as I thought I did originally.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member

Re: Trigger DYAD, overly compression damped?

The ratio between positive and negative needs to be absolutely spot on. I think the radio is 1.8... I'll ask a mate of mine to chime in with details. You need to go 2-3 levels down on the suggested pressures for your weight. It's an awesome bike, don't give up!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal View Post
    The ratio between positive and negative needs to be absolutely spot on. I think the radio is 1.8... I'll ask a mate of mine to chime in with details. You need to go 2-3 levels down on the suggested pressures for your weight. It's an awesome bike, don't give up!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    On that note, Fox was answering questions on Pinkbike and I asked them about relative pressures of positive and negative air on the Dyad. Read in the comments here: Ask Us Anything: Fox Factory - Pinkbike

Here is the exchange:

flag Three5 (Jul 8, 2013 at 10:50)
    I ride a Cannondale Jekyll with the FOX Dyad RT2 rear shock. I love the performance and the feel, but after less than a year of riding the shaft would not close down completely, it wouldn't sit flush. I took it into my local bike shop, where I bought the bike, and they sent it in under warranty, as it comes with a one year warranty. I thought that was rad and you guys were pretty prompt about getting it fixed and sent back. I have been out a couple of time since and the problem is coming back a little. The shaft is not closing all the way when in a rest position with no weight on the bike. The shock seems to work great and I can not notice anything wrong when I ride, but I wanted to know if this is or can cause a problem? They are not cheap to replace and I didn't want it to cause any issues. Thanks for your help!
    + 1
    flag DMal (Jul 8, 2013 at 12:11)
    Mine does this too and I read a thread (on mtbr I think?) that this standard behaviour. My guess is that the negative air spring pre-sags the shock without any rider weight on it. But I'd be interested to hear what the Fox guys have to say.
    + 2
    flag FOX-Factory (Jul 8, 2013 at 12:16)
    It shouldn't cause any problems, but it can be an indication of a problem. To test it try releasing all pressure from the negative air chamber and see of the shaft fully compresses. If it does then pump the negative pressure side until the rubber bumper just starts to lift away. If it doesn't return with the negative pressure fully removed it should be evaluated for warranty or service by an authorized service center.
    + 1
    flag Three5 (Jul 8, 2013 at 12:55)
    When I release the negative pressure it does fully compress, so it sounds like this is normal, which is good news. Thanks for the response.
    + 1
    flag DMal (Jul 8, 2013 at 14:10)
    Thanks, guys at Fox.

On the topic of the Dyad, can the negative air spring be used to fine-tune the suspension characteristics, or should it always be set as you described in your reply? What are the performance effects of higher and lower negative air with the same positive air setting?
    + 3
    flag FOX-Factory (Jul 8, 2013 at 15:11)
    It can be used for fine tuning but gets a bit complicated to explain. Basically the negative air has its biggest contribution early in the shock stroke. A smaller pressure difference between positive and negative air will make the shock ride softer in the beginning of the stroke, but will require a higher positive pressure to get the correct sag position. A wider pressure difference can get the same sag position with lower positive pressure. It will feel firmer in the initial stroke but allow the shock to bottom a bit easier. If you set pressure as described in the reply above the shock should perform pretty well. If positive and negative pressures get too close to each other the shaft will extend until the force balances and you essentially lose a bit of overall travel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I played with positive and negative pressures to see how it works. With air only in the positive chamber, I was pretty much unable to compress the shock. Keeping positive air the same and adding air to the negative chamber made the shock easier to compress at the top of its stroke.

Maybe try adding more air to the negative chamber.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Currently at 165+ 130-, I weigh 165 ish, say 170 ish with gear. 150+ 120-, wayyyy too soft

Currently, not impressed.
    Is it just me or do those pressures you're running seem way too low. If you weigh about 170, shouldn't you be around 261+ 220- ?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by russmu66 View Post
    Is it just me or do those pressures you're running seem way too low. If you weigh about 170, shouldn't you be around 261+ 220- ?

Cheers
    Sorry, my mistake, 1s should be 2s

The problem I run into is, there doesn't seem to be a sweet spot where the thing becomes nice and linear. It's either wallowy and overly soft, or, too progressive.

Sounds like I should leave + alone and just play with - instead of both in tandem.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    First off.....there's a lot of confusion on this shock.
    You can't use the set up Jeckyl or Trigger 26 guys use because there's a completely different pull ratio from the linkage.
    AND!!!...A LOT of forum confusion comes from Euro riders who are using the Bar settings from the manual ( which are wrong!)

And I have 2 Cannondale pumps that seem to have a 10 psi gauge difference between them. I picked the higher or the 2 (which seems to be cmore consstant with another pump I have) and use that

That said....I'm about the same weight as you and I'm using the recommended PSI pressure from the manual with good results.( actually, I run 10 more psi...285/255 according to my pump)
    Like you...I didn't like it at first and took a while to find the sweet spot.

Now tell me about that vr ( volume reducer?) . The fork is super nice , but I only use about 4 1/4 inches of travel....and if I lower the pressure...it gets a little too divey.

Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Now tell me about that vr ( volume reducer?) . The fork is super nice , but I only use about 4 1/4 inches of travel....and if I lower the pressure...it gets a little too divey.
    Thanks, still more playing to do, it seems.

As for the VR? I should have stated, this is not recommended by Cannondale.

That said, I run all my other Leftys (29er and Fat) without the VR, so it seemed a good way to get the feeling I was after, out of the SuperMax as well.

For me? Much better, more linear, less ramp up at the end.

The concern is bottoming out too often, causing damage. So heed that concern.

All that said, the fork is designed with some bottoming out expected, so it's more of a "don't be whackin' that thing off the bottom 10 times a ride" thing.

With about 10 psi more after it's removal, I got the feeling I was after, and to be honest, the feeling I'm looking for, and not finding, in the back.....

I bottom out my other forks, (and I expect this one too) every couple rides, once, on a drop when I would expect it to hit max travel.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com