mtbr member

Trigger down tube protection?

I am constantly kicking up softball sized rocks and they are hitting my lower down tube. Just a few nicks so far but eventually this will take it's toll. Got any ideas for protection? My old Trek Superfly had a very nice rubber protector that was glued in place at the factory. I am hoping for some thing like that.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I think that's for the 26" version....judging by the pivot clearance locations on that protector. I don't know if it'll work on the 29er.

I need to do something too, mine's getting beat up as well. Several good dings and dents and scrapes. I'm thinking of sourcing a piece of thick adhesive vinyl from a local graphics shop and sticking it on there. Definetly have to cut around the cable clamp areas....not a big deal.

mtbr member
    Carbon or Alu 29er's ?

AMYGOS - Trigger 29 pouces alu

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I can swear by this product. No brand specific but it kicks butt. Learned on MTBR.com and bought it off Amazon

Helicopter tape
    -Protective film/tape
    -Transparent
    -Light
    -Does not fade
    -Used it for the chain stays too.

Since day 1 of owning the bike, I have the tape on. It protects the downtube and chain stay. 3+ years on the same bike and not a single knick/chip of paint.

The chainstay part, that is a diff story. Chain flapping at it, no problem. I took a hard spill on a boulder which nearly dislocated my arm.

mtbr member
    How thick is the helicopter tape?

I have very nice guard for both down tube and chain stays on my carbon Epic.
    Downtube is a thick vinyl-like strip (around 2mm or so) which seems great at shieding the down tube from rocks and chainstays have Specialized's integrated rubber/plastic guard which looks great, is very durable and doesn't move about unlike conventional neoprene chainstay guards.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thickness varies, I just copied something from a random product on amazon

Thickness: 19.2 mils (carrier, adhesive, liner) 14.5 mils (carrier, adhesive) 12 mils (carrier)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Helicopter tape here too!! I ordered 3M stuff of eBay and covered the bike in it..... there is a bit of a knack to applying in but once you have this then it really is brilliant. I have done, downtube, top tube & stays and its saved the paint a few times!

Try an easy flat bit first as 3 way curves are tricky to get right first time!

1. Clean bike
    2. Cut to shape
    3. Spray frame with water
    4. Wet Hands
    5. Remove backing & spray adhesive side with water
    6. apply at one end and work along the strip removing bubbles as you go
    7. Get out the wife's hairdryer and heat up working any bubbles out and make sure edges are fully stuck down.
    8. Stand back an admire your work.

(if edges dont stick, leave it 10 mins and try again with the hairdryer)

(gcappy, apply this to the new 9:zero:7 before you build the thing up! )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    Helicopter tape here too!! I ordered 3M stuff of eBay and covered the bike in it..... there is a bit of a knack to applying in but once you have this then it really is brilliant. I have done, downtube, top tube & stays and its saved the paint a few times!

Try an easy flat bit first as 3 way curves are tricky to get right first time!

1. Clean bike
    2. Cut to shape
    3. Spray frame with water
    4. Wet Hands
    5. Remove backing & spray adhesive side with water
    6. apply at one end and work along the strip removing bubbles as you go
    7. Get out the wife's hairdryer and heat up working any bubbles out and make sure edges are fully stuck down.
    8. Stand back an admire your work.

(if edges dont stick, leave it 10 mins and try again with the hairdryer)

(gcappy, apply this to the new 9:zero:7 before you build the thing up! )
    This stuff looks good for the paint protection but what about actual dents from the rocks?

mtbr member
    I doubt it would help against rocks...
    What would be the best against rocks is some form of fiberglass downtube protector.

It's weird how there doesn't seem to be such product available. It's not that hard or expensive to make oval shaped down tube protector out of fiberglass and then just drill couple of holes to fix it either on top of the cable guides to protect both cables and the frame (my favourite) or between cables and frame.

Also, something like this might work well:
    Lizard Skins Downtube Protector Carbon Leather Adhesive Down Tube | eBay

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hellari View Post
    I doubt it would help against rocks...
    What would be the best against rocks is some form of fiberglass downtube protector.

It's weird how there doesn't seem to be such product available. It's not that hard or expensive to make oval shaped down tube protector out of fiberglass and then just drill couple of holes to fix it either on top of the cable guides to protect both cables and the frame (my favourite) or between cables and frame.

Also, something like this might work well:
    Lizard Skins Downtube Protector Carbon Leather Adhesive Down Tube | eBay
    Yeah, Cannondale has them listed on their web site for the 26 carbon Trigger but nothing for the aluminum 29er. I shot them an email about it but I don't think any thing will come of it. This Lizard Skin looks like the best alternative so far. I will do a little more research before deciding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    This stuff: Shelter Bike Frame Protection

I got a roll of it and have it on various parts of the bike that suffer in a crash.

It's harder to apply as it's very tacky, but it provides real protection. It's more noticeable then thin 3M film. It's close to impossible to apply it flawlessly the way you can apply the 3M film, so you will almost for sure end up with some air bubbles and creases in spots. Despite the drawbacks, I'd still choose it over all the other options.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I bought a downtube fender at the LBS ... very inexpensive, made of plastic, uses a couple of large o-rings to wrap in place. Stops water, mud, rocks, branches, small children or whatever else you are running over from hitting the bike. Doesn't look that bad and best of all, works well.

mtbr member
    skiracing,Calais, you guy's got any pics of your product installed?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Here you go.

First pic shows the thickness well. On the left side I got some regular 3M film to protect against cable rub, on the right side is the Shelter stuff.Trigger down tube protection?-dsc_5710.jpg

Here is the downtube. It could have looked neater, I already had thin film on the downtube prior to installing Shelter. I put on the shelter stuff on top, but should have taken off the other stuff first.
    Trigger down tube protection?-dsc_5712.jpg

Last pic shows something that happens a lot with the Shelter tape. It tends to get a bit of dirt get underneath the edges of it. It's not pealing any further so I'm not worried about it, but there is no way of cleaning it up.

Also, around the letter "O" are marking from making contact with a boulder in a fall. Without the tape I would have been guaranteed to have gouges on the frame.
    Trigger down tube protection?-dsc_5713.jpg

The stuff is amazing for protection as long as you are not overly concerned about the look. As I worked more with the tape, I got better at putting it on, but you still won't be able to have it look great. I would recommend 2 people so that one person does the attachment while the other person holds the loose end of the tape; it's heavy and sticky so working alone on it as I was resulted in it needing to be lifted a few times which then causes the outer edge to not stick as good.

If all you are thinking of protecting is the downtube, then I wouldn't even hesitate as it will be least noticeable in that area. It's also one of the easiest areas to apply it in as long as you take the cables off (don't get lazy).

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    skiracing,Calais, you guy's got any pics of your product installed?
    not a great pic but I can take a close up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trigger down tube protection?-jekyll1.jpg