mtbr member

Trigger 29er1 Alloy Cranks

I have an aluminum Trigger 29er1. I'd like to put a RaceFace Turbine Cinch crankset on it, however I'm not sure if it will work. This bike seems to have a bb30 long spindle crank, whatever that means. I have learned that a standard GXP style direct mount chainring is what is needed on this, not a BB30 version. What cranksets have people on these bikes successfully? If you use an XX1 crank do you need the 168mm qfactor version? Any wisdom out there? I emailed Race Face and am waiting to hear back.

Never trust a fart
    You can use the Cinch crankset. Just need to utilize an adapter so you can thread in the Race Face Cinch cups.

http://www.raceface.com/comp/inst/BBchart-x2.pdf

Praxis BB30 adapter.

https://praxiscycles.com/conversion-bb/

mtbr member
    Provided the spindle length is correct you shouldn't need any adapters since the frame is BB30 and the cinch spindle is 30mm. I'm just curious if the spindle is long enough to work on this bike. I have large feet so having the crank arms as far from the chainstays as they are one this bike is nice.

Never trust a fart
    Even though the Cinch spindle is 30mm, it's the bearing interface that is different.

If you look at the link I provided from Race Face, they even say a threaded BB30 adapter is needed.

Here is another article on the Cinch.

Review: Race Face?s New Turbine Cinch Crankset | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

mtbr member
    I understand what is needed to put a turbine crank in this frame, my question is how long is the spindle? The Trigger 29er use a longer spindle bb30 crank. If I wanted to use a turbine crank is the spindle long enough. Say I wanted to use a SRAM crank like XX1, would I use the longer 168q factor?

mtbr member
    I found a good deal on a new take off Turbine Cinch. I'm going to order the race face spacer kit for BB330 and see if it will work. There are no adapters bottom brackets need for a BB30 setup.

Never trust a fart
    Quote Originally Posted by ALS650L View Post
    I understand what is needed to put a turbine crank in this frame, my question is how long is the spindle? The Trigger 29er use a longer spindle bb30 crank. If I wanted to use a turbine crank is the spindle long enough. Say I wanted to use a SRAM crank like XX1, would I use the longer 168q factor?

Q factor is build into the arm of the crank, not the spindle length.

BB30 spindle lengths are pretty much all the same. You use spacers to take up the slack. Even on the Sram cranks, you removed the adjuster on the crank to work in some BB30 frames to get the length required.

I found the BB30 spacer kit you are referencing. That should work fine.

Race Face

mtbr member
    I don't know that that spacer kit will be right, I'm going to put the crank in the frame and center it between the chain stays and measure the gap and see what I need. Race Face offers a number of spacer kits. Currently I have one spacer on the drive side measuring about 16mm and none on the non-drive side, that's how the bike was built with the oe SRAM crank.

Take a look at this picture and you will see the different spindles on SRAm cranks I've been referring to, I have the longer version.
    http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/023...g?v=1419303074

I should be getting the Turbine crank Monday, I'll post what I figure out.

Never trust a fart
    Interesting. Never seen 2 different spindle lengths before for BB30 cranks.

mtbr member
    Just an update, the Turbine Cinch crank works in the Trigger frame with the Race Face suggested BB30 spacer kit. It is a longer spindle than the OEM crank.