Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Icebiker

Trigger 29er First Ride Report

Don't know where to start, so much awesomeness, suffice it to say Cannondale nailed it with this bike. LOVE this thing, totally worth the wait (I ordered in August, got it two weeks ago, and only today got to take it for its maiden ride). The "reviews" forums don't have the Trigger 29 listed yet, so I figured I'd post up here.

How I decided on the Trigger 29'er 2:
    I ride the Northeast, typically on very technical trails with decent mix of climbing and descending. My main criterion were: 125-135mm travel, 34mm Fox fork, lifeftime frame warranty, low standover, 13.5" or so BB height. The warranty aspect was key, as I've cracked a few boutique frames before and had to re-up on my dime. That left Specialized, Giant, Trek/Fisher and a handful of others. I'd had three C'dales in the past, and all were excellent, no frame issues and the problems I did have (Headshok, what else? ) were taken care of with no fuss. The spec on the C'dale won me over vs the comparable models from the other large brands, particularly the Fox 34 and the DYAD shock.

Setting it up
    I'm 6' 3", 205 on the bathroom scale. Bought an XL. Cockpit was too short when I picked it up (stem too short, bars not high enough, and seat post (straight) couldn't get the saddle far back enough. LBS set me up with a layback post, longer stem and higher rise bars.

I set up the Fork @ 85 psi. For the rear DYAD, I ended up bumping the pressure to the next bracket up (for riders weighing 220). I set the rebound on both front and rear to a couple clicks from full fast. Both front and rear settings were on the money for my first ride. Beginners luck, I guess. You'll definitely need to make sure your LBS gives you the C'dale pump that comes with the bike. The rear shock pressures (+ and -) are 300-350 for my weight. And you'll want to make sure the pump's collar is screwed as tight onto the valve as possible when inflating, or your readings will be way off. It's an extra long collar, I assume to handle the extreme pressures.

The Ride
    In the 80mm mode, the bike has a nice firm but supple feel to it. No wallowing like some single pivot designs I've ridden/owned. Square edged hits are nicely muted, and acceleration is very good. I found myself riding 1 (occasionally 2) gears taller than on my previous bike on extended climbs in the granny.

The 130mm mode is extremely compliant, but controlled. No wallow, no dramatic articulation. Even in the bigger rocky sections, no pedal strike. When descending in 130mm mode, with the Fox 34 set at "descend" i found myself going MUCH faster downhill than I'm used to, and had to reign things in before I got in over my head. I'm not a speed freak by any stretch, but I was amazed at the feeling of control and composure this bike has.

Composed is probably the best adjective I can think of for the Trigger 29er. Between the thru-axles front and rear, the 34mm fork, the beefy frame and pivots, the bike fells like "one" unit, as opposed to a frame with a bunch of parts bolted on to it.

The Hans Dampfs were spectacular. My first ride was on a 20 degree day, with frozen rutted sections and a dusting of snow that hid the icy sections and coated the roots and rocks. Tricky to say the least. The HD's hooked up and cornered much better than the Nevegals and Rampages I'm used to (and I still consider those great tires).

The Maguras worked great...nice modulation, no squeal or howl. The X9 rear derailleur clutch feature was sweet. No slap, hard to imagine going back to a non-clutch mech.

Nits
    • -The bashguard and the 36T chainring (with chain on it) are the same diameter, causing the chain to be more exposed to logs/rocks than I'd like.
    • -My chicken legs would prefer a 30 or 32T instead of 36, which is a bit tall for me given the trails I ride.
    • -My XL came with a 350mm long seatpost, which was at max extension for me at my seat height before my LBS swamped in a 400mm layback. Anyone taller would have an issue. The L and XL should come with 400mm posts.
    • -Stem selection is not good right now. Either 5 degree or 20. This should improve over time if more manufacturers move toward the 1.5 steer tube size, but the likelihood of that is subject to debate I guess.
    • -The WTB volt saddle is a bit minimalist even for my skinny rear end. Going to give it a bit more time before I decide whether to replace with a slightly wider design.
    • -The remote lever gets in the way of the upper bolt for the brake/shifter perch, so it takes a bit of fiddling to get your shifter/brake/remote set up right.

I ordered this bike after considering Tallboy LT, SB-95, Evolve SST, Stumpy, El Cap and a few others. The lifetime warranty negated many of these choices, and the parts spec for the price also worked in the Trigger's favor...I would have had to spend about a G more on the boutique brands to get what I wanted. Having ordered it in August (before the Eurobike reveal), of course I couldn't test ride it, so 'twas a bit of a gamble. But as any gambler knows, sometimes you come out on top. This bike truly is tops.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm ordering a Trigger 29er 2. Your post makes me happy. Where do ride? I am in NJ and ride from Fairhill to Clayton.

Icebiker
    Quote Originally Posted by mrothmel View Post
    I'm ordering a Trigger 29er 2. Your post makes me happy. Where do ride? I am in NJ and ride from Fairhill to Clayton.
    Good call, and congrats! I am in northern NJ, so I typically ride Wawayanda, Ringwood, Jungle Habitat, Mahlon. I haven't ridden Clayton in years, but do find my way central or south from time to time (Allaire, Six Mile, etc). What shop are you buying your T29 from ? I went through Halters in Monmouth Junction. Awesome shop. Jason's the man. Post up when you get 'er.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Lbs

My local bike shop is Mt. Holly Bike Shop in Mt. Holly. They have been great. Working on my Rush 7 for four years. That's why I'm sticking with Cannondale. The Rush has logged lots of miles and keeps on going.

Trips for Kids Denver
    whoa, I thought the Trigger was 26" wheel only
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Great write up. How much does it weigh?

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelfunman View Post
    whoa, I thought the Trigger was 26" wheel only
    They first introduced the 26" Triggers, then a little later introduced the 29er with alloy frames. Eventually, there should also be some carbon 29ers...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Icebiker
    Quote Originally Posted by MC9.5 View Post
    Great write up. How much does it weigh?
    Thanks. It's 31 lbs not including Time ATAC pedals give or take 1/2 lb (my scale only goes in digital 1/2 lb increments).

mtbr member
    Awesome bike and a great review

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugeye View Post
    [*]-Stem selection is not good right now. Either 5 degree or 20. This should improve over time if more manufacturers move toward the 1.5 steer tube size, but the likelihood of that is subject to debate I guess.
    Do this bike come with a straight 1.5" steerer Fox 34? I thought it was a regular tapered Fox34. That's interesting.

mtbr member
    Trigger 29er First Ride Report-trigger1-001.jpg

Just picked up the Trigger 29 1 last week. Have to say I think it is the best long travel 29er I have had. Absolutely love the quick adjust from 130 to 80. Previously had a RIP 9, Ventana, Turner Sultan, Trek Rumblefish. This bike is on entire different level then any of those.

don't stop
    Mar 2009
    How does it compare to the RIP 9?

Sheesh, you've owned a lot of bikes...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by runbaileyrun View Post
    How does it compare to the RIP 9?

Sheesh, you've owned a lot of bikes...
    I know too many bikes. Always get bored with them after awhile. The stiffness of the frame is awesome, I have never had a bike with this little flex to it. Benefits ove r the RIP have been:

1. The ability to change the travel on the fly, it really climbs exceedingly well for a bike in this category. In the 80 mm it has absolutely zero pedal bob, even out of the saddle.

2. I cannot believe how smooth the Lefty MAX is. I hit 2 5ft drops this week and it was so effortless. The front end can through a rock garden at speed with no deflection. It is the first time in a long time I feel I got more then I paid for in a bike.

I did run my RIP with a 120mm fork then a 140mm fork. I definitely like it better with the 140mm and think it is a great bike, but no way I could go back to it after riding the Trigger.

Icebiker
    Savo: Yes, straight 1.5" steer tube...super stiff (but stem selection tough at moment).

Flucod: Congrats on your new bike! LBS suggested I spring for the Lefty but it was out of my range. Agree with all your comments. While of the bikes you list I've only had a pre-2012 Ventana (great stiffness and traction, but wallowy rear), I can also say that I've had experience with FSR bikes (e.g. Specialized 29'ers, Intense 26") and I much prefer the Trigger.

Here are some action shots from a ride we took last weekend.

mtbr member
    That place place looks fun and perfect for the bike. Still cannot believe how well the bike tracks.

I swapped out the stock stem for a TruVativ AKA in 100mm.

Did you keep the stock stem?

Icebiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    That place place looks fun and perfect for the bike. Still cannot believe how well the bike tracks.

I swapped out the stock stem for a TruVativ AKA in 100mm.

Did you keep the stock stem?
    I swapped the 80mm that came with it for a 100mm C'dale stem. Had to install 40mm risers to get the front end up a bit for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

got my new trigger 29er2

I swapped the 80mm that came with it for a 100mm C'dale stem. Had to install 40mm risers to get the front end up a bit for me.
    My LBS is putting my new Trigger 29er 2 together out of the box. The bike is beautiful. Small frame for my neandrathal build. I am very impressed that it seems to have smaller wheel base than other 29ers. Will finish build on Saturday and hope to do first ride on Sunday. I tell my wife she's my new girlfriend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Took my Trigger 29er 2 on its maiden voyage today. For those familiar with South Jersey we rode Camden County College. (I'm 53 years old, 54 in April). The most noticible improvement over the Rush 7 26er is the climbing. First, its lighter than the Rush. Second, with the big wheels I go right over obstacles like roots and logs that would have stopped the 26 inch Rush in its tracks. This bike destroys the myth that 29 ers don't climb as well as 26ers. This one climbs better. Also, unlike other 29ers I have tried, the Trigger 29er steers like a bike, not like a bus. Going through twistys and trees was a breeze. Coupled with the big wheels, went over roots at slow speeds around curves no problem. The bike is unstoppable. I did take down hills more agressively, although nothing in Camden County College that counts as a long descent. Plus, you guys have to remember, I'm 53, not 23. However, I am in good shape. That's why I appreciate the ease with which the bike takes you up hill.

On another note, set up of shock was a cinch with the instructions and the pump they give you. All in all, I am very happy. If the weather cooperates, we are doing Brandywine Park in DE next week. That area will be the rock garden test.

Icebiker
    Congrats on the new T29-2! Glad you enjoyed your first ride. Come up to Norther NJ sometime and I'd be happy to show you around. The pics above were from Wawayanda St park...lotsa rocks! perfect for this kind of bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Invitation to North Jersey

Congrats on the new T29-2! Glad you enjoyed your first ride. Come up to Norther NJ sometime and I'd be happy to show you around. The pics above were from Wawayanda St park...lotsa rocks! perfect for this kind of bike.
    Thanks for the invitation. Waywayanda looks like over a two hours from Mt. Holly. Maybe some place closer. I'm in Mt. Holly. Would not mind meeting in the middle somewhere between our locations.

Happy Trails

Trigger 29er First Ride Report

[QUOTE=mrothmel;10189329] (I'm 53 years old, 54 in April). All in all, I am very happy. /QUOTE]

Nice. Happy trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I weigh 165 pounds and am trying to get the air pressure on the front fork right on Trigger 29er 2. I was at 70 pounds and that is too low. I am going to try 90 pounds. Any opinions out there on the right pressure for front fork on Trigger 29er 2 (Fox Float 34 CTD)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrothmel View Post
    I weigh 165 pounds and am trying to get the air pressure on the front fork right on Trigger 29er 2. I was at 70 pounds and that is too low. I am going to try 90 pounds. Any opinions out there on the right pressure for front fork on Trigger 29er 2 (Fox Float 34 CTD)
    SAG should be between 25-30%. Start there. Typically FOX is about half your body weight for the front fork. I would use 80psi for a starting point,but really need to go with the SAG for accurate setting.

This link should help - Suspension fork sag adjustment

You should be aiming for 32mm of SAG.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    First major ride on the new bike. I'm going to name her "beer goggles" because the bike inspires confidence and makes you do what you normally would not do. We rode Brandywine Park in Wilmington DE. 583 feet of elevation gain. Climbed great. I descended faster than I ever have in my life. Lots of fun. The conditions were not the best, freezing temp, no sun 15 mph + winds; a bit muddy, just enough to make it more difficult. I appreciated the front lock out (climb mode) on the front fork as it let you stand up and peddle when you had to. More aggressive on the rock gardens than usual, but still walked some. I love the bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trigger1 001.jpg 
Views:	2763 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	768198

Just picked up the Trigger 29 1 last week. Have to say I think it is the best long travel 29er I have had. Absolutely love the quick adjust from 130 to 80. Previously had a RIP 9, Ventana, Turner Sultan, Trek Rumblefish. This bike is on entire different level then any of those.
    good to know. what size is that in the pic?

how did the crests feel? not flexy?

thx,
    Holiday

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast