Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Trigger 29er 1...Kind of

Posted this over in the 29er section but figured it belonged over here also:

Finally finished my build of my Cannondale Trigger 1 that I swapped the bike over to XX1 with XO Trail brakes, put some proper trail wheels with some very sweet Michelin tubeless tires, Reverb post and some Syntace Vector bars. So not to much of this bike is left from the original except the XL frame and bada$$ Lefty MAX fork. As it sits it is 28 lbs so figure a touch over 29 lbs with my pedals.

Very excited to get this out on the trails and see what the bike and components are like. I have been riding a Rumblefish Pro for the past 3+ years in combination with my single speeds so certainly intrigued to see how it stacks up against the RF as a rugged trail bike. Also looking forward to taking less heat from my friends that I ride and race with from Cannondale for not riding the local company!

Put the XX1 on it to see what all of the hubbub is about and needed to put some XO Trail brakes to keep it all matchy. I am sure the drivetrain will be great but do have concerns with braking since I have been riding latest generation the XT/ XTR and they set the bar very, very high.

I will be using this bike for typical trail rides and hope to dabble in some enduro racing on it this upcoming season. Based upon ride quality and over all speed of the bike maybe even use it in technical XC races like the Bearscat 50 down in New Jersey.

If the trails melt a bit or firm up for the weekend then I am hoping to put it through its paces and dial in the suspension. If I do I will certainly get a proper ride report written up.

If you are local to southern CT and want to stop by and take a look at this beast it is sitting on the floor at Bethel Cycle in Bethel CT. If you are bigger guy or gal and ride an XL frame then you might be able to sweet talk me into taking it for a spin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trigger 29er 1...Kind of-trigger-3.jpg  

Trigger 29er 1...Kind of-trigger-2.jpg  

Trigger 29er 1...Kind of-trigger-1.jpg  

Trigger 29er 1...Kind of-trigger-4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Beautiful machine..!

Just curious why you are running a chain guide with XX1.?

You could lose a bit more weight by ditching the guide

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yeah, I know it is a bit redundant but for now I want the added security I guess. If I feel confident I can loose it down the road I will remove it and scale down the entire e*thirteen device to just the bash plate to shed some grams.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    No worries, I was just wondering if all the hype about XX1 is true.. not dropping the chain and all that... as I just bought an XX1 groupset for my Rize...!

Look forward to reading your ride report about the bike and the new Super Max..

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    excellent bike,whats the length of the stem, it looks pretty short for a Lefty equipped bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks, it is a 60mm. They say a 50mm would work but I do not think I need nor want to go much shorter for my position on the bike.

mtbr member
    Looks great... Would love to try one of these to see how they compare to my Jekyll Custom build.

mtbr member
    Great bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chick0 View Post
    Looks great... Would love to try one of these to see how they compare to my Jekyll Custom build.
    Should be pretty interesting, i would like to try 26" version,finally short stemed lefty

Although it has pretty steep HA

mtbr member
    Beautiful ride!! Excellent choices too!
    Let us know what you think about the XX1, and your move to XO from XTR.

Enjoy!!

don't stop
    Mar 2009
    Awesome, thanks for this. What hub did you use? Hope?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yup, I used a Hope. I always loved their performance, durabilty and cost and the fact that they had an XX1 option solidified the deal.

don't stop
    Mar 2009
    This is pretty much what I plan to do with my Trigger when it comes it, although not entirely decided what wheels I'll go with yet. I was hoping it would come in under 30 lbs, so I'm very pleased to hear you are at 28 without pedals.

Why did you swap the stock bar?

I like your setup of the shock remote under the bar and the dropper remote on the top, both on the left side. I was wondering if the shock remote would work flipped like that, but I see it does.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Good eye, yup with the 1X set-up the levers both fit nicely on the left side, not sure that would be the same for the Hilo dropper than came stock on the bike though.

As far as wheels the Crest rims are a horrible spec, guessing it was to just save weight but certainly would not keep up with this bike as far as durability. I am thinking of doing some carbon rims but need to get motivated to spend more money. I rode the Easton Haven carbon wheels last season and was blown away, to bad it can not be 32h. Maybe some ENVE's.

Sub 31lbs seems pretty good for this bike, happy to be at 29 or so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Good job!

I left mine pretty much stock. Exception is a single ring and eThirteen chain guide. Bike rides so good. Perfect complement to my Scalpel 29er Carbon 1. Only question is when will I ever ride the Scalpel again? The Trigger climbs good and has monster traction on technical New England climbs. Rock gardens and technical down hills are a breeze. Only down side is I have to re route some trails to create more challenging lines.
    Hands down my favorite bike to date and I have owned and ridden some sweet rides. S-C Tallboy LT, Rumblefish 2011-2013 (2013 is finally really good but no Super Lefty), Rize Carbon 1, SJ 29er carbon, SF 100 carbon and alloy and the list goes on. My only complaint is the bike didn't come with a remote lever for the dropper post. Thankfully Bethel Cycles excellent customer service hooked me up though and no I can drop the seat in style.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Finally got the bike out on some crispy snow covered trails today and just like I was suspecting it is a very sweet bike. The bike and new Lefty fork are super precise and much more stout and accurate steering than any FS 29er I have been on. I would certainly say I need to take a bit of time and effort to dial in the suspension but it was pretty close today, maybe set up a bit firm.

The fork is unreal in comparison to the 32 Fox fork I have been riding with pretty much no deflection. Going through rock gardens at speed is a whole new world on this, point, pedal and go. The handling characteristics make for a really agile feeling bike even though it such a large bike, the torsional stiffness plays a huge a bike role in this. Body english is directed to the tires better than just about any bike I have ridden even with the 130mm travel. It is very efficient and when the rear shock is flip to the short travel it really makes it go. I certainly believe that it could be race d in certain events, perfect for a enduro bike and marathon bike on super technical trails.

The Lefty MAX would be a great upgrade to a lot of bike with it stiffness and solid suspension performance. Certainly not a lot of bells and whistles like a Fox fork but I am more a set forget it guy. I hope to put one on my Ventana SS and add 10mm of travel and loads of stiffness and steering precision. Maybe the only drawback of this fork as an upgrade would be it will really create some serious imbalance between front end and rear end stiffness on many bikes. I also am not 100% sure that many bikes are structurally sound enough to handle the added leverage at the head tube this brings to the table, that being said I am certainly not an engineer.

I am very excited that I got this bike and very motivated to get some good rides on it on dry trails even though the snow was pretty fun and grippy today. Hopefully going to take advantage of a few of my friends over at CSG for proper fork and shock set-up and get that dialed in since they know a whole lot more than I do, great perk of being in Bethel CT. After my ride today I certainly would say that this is a better bike than the Trek Rumblefish bikes that I have had. As much fun and as good as those bike are the Trigger with the Lefty MAX raises the bar for a burly trail bike, very robust and perfect for tight and technical New England trails.

PS, The XX1 is really nice and user friendly perfect fit for a bike like this. The XO Trails brakes are not Shimano's that is for sure. Forgot how noisy they are when they are wet but expect them to get better over time, plenty of stopping power but would say I prefer the feel of XT's or XTR's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Another believer! The bike is amazing. I played around on my IF singlespeed today. Thomson bar, stem and Whitebrothers LOOP 15qr fork, pro built Flow rimmed wheel. FLEXY! Ruined for life once accustomed to stiffness of a Lefty. My Carbon Scalpel 29er 1 is just as stiff as my Trigger. You are right about the responsiveness to body input, I'm clearing trough trail sections with ease and seek harder lines.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by soulcraft29er View Post
    Another believer! The bike is amazing. I played around on my IF singlespeed today. Thomson bar, stem and Whitebrothers LOOP 15qr fork, pro built Flow rimmed wheel. FLEXY! Ruined for life once accustomed to stiffness of a Lefty. My Carbon Scalpel 29er 1 is just as stiff as my Trigger. You are right about the responsiveness to body input, I'm clearing trough trail sections with ease and seek harder lines.
    Did you stick with the OE Crests on yours?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yes I did. I also have a set of Flow wheels but so far I see no reason to switch. I'm actually going to try a set of Tricons that I have. Initially I thought Crest wheels was a bad choice but perhaps the product manager knew what he was doing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by soulcraft29er View Post
    Yes I did. I also have a set of Flow wheels but so far I see no reason to switch. I'm actually going to try a set of Tricons that I have. Initially I thought Crest wheels was a bad choice but perhaps the product manager knew what he was doing.

I'm still waiting for my Trigger but I'm up the air about the wheels. Part of me wants to keep the OE wheels and see what happens and the other part thinks I should just get some Flow EX with Hope rear and Cannondale front hub. We'll see.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I would say for sure the Flow's are better choice for this bike for the simple fact that the rim is not only stiffer and stronger but the wider profile gives better tire volume. The wider stiffer rim is more important to me than the durabily honestly. And weight savings of the Crest rims I do not car that much about.

I think if I want to lighten up the rims I would do carbon to insure that they are stiff and wide. Loved my Haven carbons I rode last season but would need to figure out a 24h solution for the front hub, pretty easy to do but not sure I am that motivated right now to do so. The new i9 enduro wheels look sweet as another option I suppose.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Now that I have about 5 good tough ride on this bike it is really good! Did a ride with 3500 feet of climbing in a little less than 3 hours on some burly trails in Ninham NY and the bike was nearly perfect for it. Maybe a touch heavy, but right now I am a little chubby as well, but with the "attitude adjust" flipped to short travel it climbs really well. I use that lever all the time and it really allows this bike ot keep up with more XC oriented bikes than you would think when the pace is high.
    The thing is point and shoot, certainly opens the door to some bigger drops and steeping rollers than I have done in the past. The stiffness of the chasis really makes this bike more nimble than the geometry table would lead you to believe, maybe a little to much hype these days with geo and super short stays and relax headtubes. This bike is a great balance not to short and not to shallow.All I want to do is keep trying harder lines at more speed, this bike actually has lead me to my first pair of knee pads that I have ever bought.
    If you are looking for a bike to take the most aggressive lines, ride fast and smash into stuff with confidence then this a awesome choice!!

don't stop
    Mar 2009
    What chainring did you go with for the XX1 crank? 32T?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Pictured with a 32t but I am running a 36t, with the 42 rear cog it make it possible. If I was running a single on a 10s 11-36 cassette then probably run a 32 or 34t.

don't stop
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for your thoughts.. I've only ordered the default 32T for now with my XX1 kit. Previously, I was using a 26-36 on a 2x9 with 11-34 at back. It worked well, and I can ride everything around here in the 36 (no monster climbs, but some short punchy ones along an escarpment) but the 26 saves the legs for when it counts. But that is on a 26er, so being my first 29er, although there is now a 42 at back, I'm thinking probably a 34 up front is plenty, and most likely a 32 will work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast