Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Smile Trigger 29er 1 in the house!

I just received my 2013 Trigger 29er 1 from Bethel Cycle in Bethel CT. It weighs 32 lbs out of the box with inner tubes for an XL. I'm not worried about the weight since my Scalpel 29er is sub 24 with Enve wheels. The Trigger is going to be my play bike. The new Super Lefty looks cool and as an added bonus it has XT shifters, as opposed to spec on Cannondale web page. I was hoping to ride in the AM but it is snowing like crazy here.
    If you live in the area Sean's Trigger is also in the shop and they have Trigger 29er 2 on the floor.
    If by some miracle I can sneak a ride in I will post some first impressions. Also, keep an eye on Bethel Cycles Facebook page since I'm sure Sean will be riding his pretty soon. Should be a good comparison since we both have many miles on SF100, Rumblefish and Scalpel 29er.

mtbr member
    Photos or it didn't happen.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal View Post
    photos or it didn't happen.
    my thoughts exactly!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Bikes are pictured on Bethel Cycles Facebook page. I'm going hiking,riding in 4" of wet, heavy nasty snow. Not much of a test ride but better than nuttin'. Bike built up nice and I kept it all stock for now. I have a chain guard coming from eThirteen and I will convert it to 1x10. My plan was to change out the wheels BUT the Lefty hub on the Super Lefty is wider so rotor will not align with a regular Lefty wheel. Not a huge deal since the rotor can be spaced out with washers and longer screws. It would be cleaner if Cannondale offered a spacer kit.
    The driveway test felt good so I'm pretty excited to get it out on the trail. Yes, I will post a picture later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    As expected, miserable conditions to MTB. So this is by no means a proper test. Trigger 29er out of the box fits me well and I felt comfortable. Pretty easy switch since I regularly ride a an XL Scalpel 29er. Stiffness of the Trigger and Lefty Max is great, just like the Scalpel.
    I set up the bike according to the Cannondale iphone app and bike felt good. Obviously in proper conditions I have to play around with pressures and rebound. Again, this not being an appropriate test my initial impression is: stiffer and quicker accelerating than a Rumblefish, not as smooth though. This is probably all subject to tuning but I also had a few unexpected pedal strikes. To nit pick, a remote lever for dropper post was not included and it would have been nice with an O ring on Lefty to measure sag and travel used.
    Unfortunately I'm traveling for a while so bike will have to wait. However, I'm excited and I feel confident I will love this bike. While I'm a way Scott at Bethel Cycle promises to take care of the Trigger for me. Sorry about no pictures, can't get iPhone pictures to load.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by soulcraft29er View Post
    As expected, miserable conditions to MTB. So this is by no means a proper test. Trigger 29er out of the box fits me well and I felt comfortable. Pretty easy switch since I regularly ride a an XL Scalpel 29er. Stiffness of the Trigger and Lefty Max is great, just like the Scalpel.
    I set up the bike according to the Cannondale iphone app and bike felt good. Obviously in proper conditions I have to play around with pressures and rebound. Again, this not being an appropriate test my initial impression is: stiffer and quicker accelerating than a Rumblefish, not as smooth though. This is probably all subject to tuning but I also had a few unexpected pedal strikes. To nit pick, a remote lever for dropper post was not included and it would have been nice with an O ring on Lefty to measure sag and travel used.
    Unfortunately I'm traveling for a while so bike will have to wait. However, I'm excited and I feel confident I will love this bike. While I'm a way Scott at Bethel Cycle promises to take care of the Trigger for me. Sorry about no pictures, can't get iPhone pictures to load.
    Did it come with Crests or Arches?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Crest Rims with XT rear hub. Lefty wide flange front hub They also included tubeless valves. Hans Dampf tires sealed up easily with just a floor pump.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Crest Rims with XT rear hub. Lefty wide flange front hub They also included tubeless valves. Hans Dampf tires sealed up easily with just a floor pump.
    To improve the plushness of the dyad shock go two levels down in pressure below your weight as per the user manual. This is what Mark Weir does on his jykall. Try that and let us know how it handles.

Ted

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thank you Tedd. I will try. Lots of snow so it may be a while.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thank you Tedd. I will try. Lots of snow so it may be a while.
    MyXL trigger 29er 1 shows up tomorrow, but we also have lots of snow here in Colorado. I will post my impressions once I get a chance to ride it, but I also suspect it will be a few weeks.

What is your height and weight and what psi are you running in the front fork? Also what psi in the rear shock?

Ted

don't stop
    Mar 2009
    Are those tires that came on it the pace star 'evolution' line (the better,$$er ones)?

Sucks about the lack of dropper remote. This does confirm almost every other photo I've seen of the bike without one however.

Is that weight with pedals?

RBR

mtbr member
    I wonder if this means mine will be here soon. I ordered an XL and was told December 28th...

Still disappointed it has Crests.

mtbr member
    Rules of the internet.
    and no, I am not missing the other half of my fork....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I agree that a bike like this should have Flow rims, not Crest. I use a Flow wheel set on my Scalpel 29er for everyday beating and like them.

The bike weighed 32lbs with pedals and tubes. My plan is to go 1x10 and tubeless, will weigh it again when done.

I am 6'2" and 180 lbs. I set the bike up according to Cannondales iPad app. Super Max Lefty 67 psi, Dyad 340pos and 286neg. I usually set up my bikes with recommended sag but didn't do so this time. I will do that for my next ride, when the snow melts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yes, I didn't change tires. 32 lbs with pedals and NO remote (bummer)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I agree that a bike like this should have Flow rims, not Crest. I use a Flow wheel set on my Scalpel 29er for everyday beating and like them.

The bike weighed 32lbs with pedals and tubes. My plan is to go 1x10 and tubeless, will weigh it again when done.

I am 6'2" and 180 lbs. I set the bike up according to Cannondales iPad app. Super Max Lefty 67 psi, Dyad 340pos and 286neg. I usually set up my bikes with recommended sag but didn't do so this time. I will do that for my next ride, when the snow melts.
    Thanks for the info. I am 6'4" 180 so our setup should be the same. Once I get my bike I will work on the setup and let you know what I find. I am really sensitive to a the correct setup.

I would drop the front pressure and also speed up the rebound and see if it feels more plush. The DYAD will take some tinkering to get right, but I would set it up as if you were a 165-170 pounds and see how it feels.

I agree, the crests were a bad idea for a AM bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Soulcraft,
    Cannondale has an alternate brake adapter that is made to work with a standard lefty hub. If you get one of those you don't have to deal with ugly rotor spacing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks. That's awesome, putting on my Flow wheels or maybe play around with my Enve wheel set and see how bike feels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Here are pics of my XL.

XL 2013 Cannondale Trigger 29er 1 just built never ridden - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

I have owned for less than 24 hours and it is just too small for me. Total bummer, because this is a sick bike!!

Icebiker

My Trigger 2 is in

I ordered in Aug, and my LBS called today to say the bike arrived and is prepped and ready to go.

One word of caution for those also awaiting their Triggers: When giving the bike the once-over, my LBS noticed that the rear brake housing was too short, Says it's still rideable but wants to be on the safe side, so is securing a replacement from C'dale. .

I'll post up pics when I've picked it up next week.

Delirious Tuck
    Soulcraft, I'm in Fairfield County area as well and have early Feb delivery for my Trigger 1 (although was told end of Jan). Should be an interesting rig though the lack of remote is a bit of a PITA.

My money is the Crests don't last proper tech/stuntery (i.e. Wilton Woods & Millers Pond), I'm guessing I re-lace to flows within first 10 rides.

Your shock should take some time to break-in, unless you take it on a proper DH run or two, it should be about 2-5 rides before its properly bedded in.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by nuckingfuts2 View Post
    MyXL trigger 29er 1 shows up tomorrow, but we also have lots of snow here in Colorado. I will post my impressions once I get a chance to ride it, but I also suspect it will be a few weeks.

What is your height and weight and what psi are you running in the front fork? Also what psi in the rear shock?

Ted
    I don't get it. You sold an XL Trigger because it is too small to buy another XL Trigger. I must have something wrong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet View Post
    I don't get it. You sold an XL Trigger because it is too small to buy another XL Trigger. I must have something wrong.
    He sold it last week, I believe. I don't think he's saying he bought another one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks, I'm ready to get out and play. Just need the snow to melt.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    He sold it last week, I believe. I don't think he's saying he bought another one.
    I came into this conversation late and post #5 says he's selling his XL Trigger and post #14 says he's waiting for a new one. Very confusing!

Anyway, it sucks when you can't find a bike long enough and no XLs will fit. This is actually a pretty good sized XL - not like Ibis or a lot of the other makers. Even Specialized has gotten rid of their XXL 29er and Trek has reduced the size of their 23" 29ers. It's a no win for tall riders this year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast