Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet View Post
    I came into this conversation late and post #5 says he's selling his XL Trigger and post #14 says he's waiting for a new one. Very confusing!

Anyway, it sucks when you can't find a bike long enough and no XLs will fit. This is actually a pretty good sized XL - not like Ibis or a lot of the other makers. Even Specialized has gotten rid of their XXL 29er and Trek has reduced the size of their 23" 29ers. It's a no win for tall riders this year.
    Sorry for the confusion. I did not sell an xl trigger 29er and then buy another xl trigger 29er. I bought an XXL tallboy LTc and its a much better fit for my lanky build. The XXL Tallboy LTC's were just recently released.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by nuckingfuts2 View Post
    Sorry for the confusion. I did not sell an xl trigger 29er and then buy another xl trigger 29er. I bought an XXL tallboy LTc and its a much better fit for my lanky build. The XXL Tallboy LTC's were just recently released.
    I'm actually surprised the TB LT would be any longer than the Trigger seeing as the TT length is only 0.2" longer along with the fact that the ST angle is slacker....which as anyone who knows their geometry can tell you equates to a reduced TT as compared to a bike with a steeper ST angle......unless you don't care about saddle fore-aft position.

mtbr member
    I came into this conversation late and post #5 says he's selling his XL Trigger and post #14 says he's waiting for a new one. Very confusing!

Anyway, it sucks when you can't find a bike long enough and no XLs will fit. This is actually a pretty good sized XL - not like Ibis or a lot of the other makers. Even Specialized has gotten rid of their XXL 29er and Trek has reduced the size of their 23" 29ers. It's a no win for tall riders this year.
    So it's not just me! The posts show up out of order, if you look at when they were posted and not the number you'll see this, very confusing sometimes.

Still waiting for my Trigger

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm actually surprised the TB LT would be any longer than the Trigger seeing as the TT length is only 0.2" longer along with the fact that the ST angle is slacker....which as anyone who knows their geometry can tell you equates to a reduced TT as compared to a bike with a steeper ST angle......unless you don't care about saddle fore-aft position.
    Seat tube is 1 degree slacker on the LTC which equates to a larger cockpit, not shorter?? I think you have it backwards? There is way more room in the LTC cockpit then the trigger. I owned both and there is quite a difference. Granted the trigger had a 50mm stem and my LTC has a 65mm.

One other majaor differnce one is 27 pounds and the other is 32 pounds...........

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ALS650L View Post
    So it's not just me! The posts show up out of order, if you look at when they were posted and not the number you'll see this, very confusing sometimes.

Still waiting for my Trigger
    you guys have the "Display Mode" for the forum set to "Hybrid" instead of "Linear"

hybrid tries to follow the conversation, based on who quoted who and such, like following sub-conversations.

Linear mode puts everything in the order that it was posted basedonly on date/time.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by nuckingfuts2 View Post
    Seat tube is 1 degree slacker on the LTC which equates to a larger cockpit, not shorter?? I think you have it backwards? There is way more room in the LTC cockpit then the trigger. I owned both and there is quite a difference. Granted the trigger had a 50mm stem and my LTC has a 65mm.

One other majaor differnce one is 27 pounds and the other is 32 pounds...........
    Yea, weight is a major difference.

I understand about geometry NF - I teach it. What I am refering to is that to get the same saddle position with a slacker seat tube, you have to move the saddle forward so in effect you loose TT length. For instance, on my Tallboy, because the ST is so slack, I have to use a straight seat post and I have the saddle a little forward in the seat post clamp to get my saddle in the correct position in relation to the BB for optimal power. If saddle fore/aft isn't a concern of yours, you could have always used a set back post and/or put the saddle back in the clamp on the Trigger and gotten the same effect as the slack seattube angle of the TB LT. Looking at the numbers, the Trigger 29 has one of the longest production cockpits for 2013. Keep in mind that I am not talking about TT length which is meaningless without considering ST angle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yea, weight is a major difference.

I understand about geometry NF - I teach it. What I am refering to is that to get the same saddle position with a slacker seat tube, you have to move the saddle forward so in effect you loose TT length. For instance, on my Tallboy, because the ST is so slack, I have to use a straight seat post and I have the saddle a little forward in the seat post clamp to get my saddle in the correct position in relation to the BB for optimal power. If saddle fore/aft isn't a concern of yours, you could have always used a set back post and/or put the saddle back in the clamp on the Trigger and gotten the same effect as the slack seattube angle of the TB LT. Looking at the numbers, the Trigger 29 has one of the longest production cockpits for 2013. Keep in mind that I am not talking about TT length which is meaningless without considering ST angle.
    Got it. I misunderstood your comment about fore aft on the seat. The whole reason I jumped on the trigger 29 1 was because of the 25.7" TT, which is very long, but as you say you need to look at more than the TT angle.

Also, I wanted a slacker HT angle so I put the Cane Creek Angleset on the TB LTc and slacked the bike out to 68.5. All and all I just find the total package of lighter weight, Slacker HT angle, bigger cockpit (yes, I get your point) and 10mm more travel up front(fox 34 140mm) make for a better allround bike for me. I certainly could have made the Trigger work, but running a 80-90mm stem on trail bike with a HT angle of 69.5 degrees didn't appeal to me. Not to mention the headtube is .6" shorter on the TB Ltc then the Trigger 29er. I run zero spacers under the stem. My bar height on the TB Ltc is a hair lower then the trigger and i am running 10mm more travel up front with the fox. I totally see your point, but with the trigger I just wasnt loving it.....
    Last edited by nuckingfuts2; 01-11-2013 at 01:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm thinking of buying a trigger 29er. Let me know your thoughts. Looks like a great bike. Sunday should be a great day to ride.

Icebiker

Trigger 2 is in!!

I just picked mine up yesterday, so haven't had any trail time yet. I have set it up for my weight now (shock and fork) and have fine tuned the cockpit position. What I can tell you so far is:

1) for the XL I bought (I'm 6' 3", 34" inseam, and proportionally long trunk) I found the stem (80mm) 20mm too short, bars (minimal rise) 30mm too low, and seat post (350mm) was 50mm too short (the 350 was at the max extension for where I wanted the saddle). In addition the seat post didn't give me enought saddle set back. Keep this in mind given the discussion above about cockpit. Be sure to have your LBS help you with swapping stuff out. My LBS swapped out the post for a layback 400mm, a 100 mm stem and a 40mm riser bar (currently white, going to pick up a black one).

2) Compared to my prior FS 29er (Ventana El Rey) it feels WAY more relaxed, which is what I was looking for for the technical east coast trails I ride.

3) It was SUPER easy to set up the shock and fork, and the rebound adjust is easy to read and reach.

4) Standover clearance is insane! perfect for tech rides.

5) It is so freakin sexy!!! Looks much better in person, too

6) 32lbs with Time ATAC pedals

I'll report back after my first ride.

D_K
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    That is a sweet bike! But these weights are not making sense to me. I'm not even sure where all the extra weight is in these bikes but how does a Trigger 1 and Trigger 2 weigh the same? Does the dropper post offset what is saved with the Lefty?

I'm really considering the Trigger for my next bike. But man, I can't decide between the 1 and 2. If Cannondale just would have made the Trigger 2 with the Lefty, I would be happy.

don't stop
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by D_K View Post
    That is a sweet bike! But these weights are not making sense to me. I'm not even sure where all the extra weight is in these bikes but how does a Trigger 1 and Trigger 2 weigh the same? Does the dropper post offset what is saved with the Lefty?
    My guess is it is entirely due to the dropper post. The difference in spec build between the 1 and 2, aside from the lefty, is pretty small both in weight and quality. One thing in fact, the i23 rims should have been on the Trigger 29er 1.

Ditch the dropper post and get some lighter tires run tubeless, switch to 1x10, and take out 3 disc rotor bolts front and rear and you'd get the weight down a little closer to 29 lbs I'd bet, maybe a touch lower.

But if you bought a Trigger 29er, you certainly didn't do so for the weight. In which case, keep the dropper, and rock those awesome tires (still go 1x10 though). An extra pound or two unsprung weight for 180 lb trail rider with a hydration pack and gear means nothing.

don't stop
    Mar 2009
    Speaking of tires - you guys who have your Trigger's, can you comment if those Hans Dampf are the softer (gripper) TrailStar or the harder (faster) PaceStar models?

D_K
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by runbaileyrun View Post
    An extra pound or two unsprung weight for 180 lb trail rider with a hydration pack and gear means nothing.
    I can only hope that I weigh that much with all of my gear on. For being a 6'1" guy that hits the gym all the time, I can barely keep my weight over 150lbs.

Getting back on subject, let's hear some more ride reports!

Icebiker
    Quote Originally Posted by runbaileyrun View Post
    Speaking of tires - you guys who have your Trigger's, can you comment if those Hans Dampf are the softer (gripper) TrailStar or the harder (faster) PaceStar models?
    That's a good question. I checked mine. The front is a TrailStar, and the rear is a PaceStar. Not sure if that's intentional, but there you have it. I guess if you had to split them, makes sense to have the grippier one in the front for better cornering control.

don't stop
    Mar 2009
    Interesting. Almost sounds like that was thought out in advance by Cannondale. I'd run them that way too, for better tracking up front, and better durability/wear in the rear (even the Pace Star line Hans Dampf is exceptional for traction).

mtbr member
    I'm still waiting for my Trigger 1. I've never run a dropper post. I'm going to try it, if I'm not into it it's a good place to loose some weight. I wasn't really concerned about weight either, if I was I would have waited for the carbon one coming out next year supposedly. I am concerned they seem to be coming with crests, that's gonna be an issue for me at 200lbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Trigger 29er

Bugeye:

I'm 5'4: with a 27" inseam. I like the trigger 29er because standover and top tube length similar to Rush 7 that I currently ride. Looking forward to hear how it performs in action.

mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2