mtbr member

Travelling/Shipping with a Lefty

I was thinking about taking my Cannondale Flash 29er on a trip.

Is the best choice a good travel case? Or is retrieving a Cannondale bike box from the LBS adequate?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The travel case will offer the best crush resistance compared to cardboard. However, I wouldn't be afraid to use a Cannondale box (they are top quality) but they are shorter/fatter than most bike boxes, so rear wheel removal is usually required (which usually makes for trickier packaging) But then again, it would be required with a travel case, no?

dnk
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I was travelling and also have shipped my Rush with Lefty , frame size L in Thule bike box 699 RoundTrip. It all packed well, I had to remove derailleur from the hanger, the stem+bars and pedals and saddle with seatpost.
    This hardbox has also a set of small rollers, so you can easily tow it around like any other big luggage.
    It also survived airtravel quite well.

LA CHÈVRE
    A few tips:

- A hardshell case is better. A friend has worked at an airport where they load/unload planes, he told me to never use cardboards, they are really not gentle with our stuff and wont stop themselves to stack heavy things over it. I also know a guy who was travelling to the Tour of California with a prototype SuperSix a few years back, he used a bike specific cardbox and the bike arrived crushed (although the box had been opened during transit but since he wasn't there, it wasn't repacked correctly). Plus, flying companies do have damage warranties but if your bike wasn't packed very well, they will blame you and not re-imburse you. A case is expensive, if you plan on doing trips often, they're worth it, if not, you can rent them from most bike shops.

- Take the rear derailleur off, it's even better if you leave it on the hanger and take the hanger off the frame. It's also good to put a spacer in the dropouts so the frame can't be crushed from the sides. You can use an old hub or spacers made just for that, I have used threaded rods with spacers and bolts with earflaps (sorry, don't know how they're called) to serve the same purpose.

- Place things to minimize rubbing or use padding between parts not to scratch parts. A few key words: rags, elastics, tape...

- What else? No loose parts in the case, even a small bolt can do damage loose in a big box. I put all the allen keys needed to re-assemble the bike wrapped ina small rag, stuffed in a water bottle in a bottle cage.

- Apparently it's not neccessary but I do it anyway: release some air from the tires and shocks...

- No Co2 cartridges.

- Mark the seatpost height, handlebar angle with tapes to quickly put them back perfectly right...

Anything else? I have done it a few times and never had any problems so if you have more questions, go ahead and ask.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :