mtbr member
    Sep 2011

New question here. Trail SL4 for an upgrade?

i currently have a GT Aggressor 3.0, its my first real bike, but i tend to break it a lot. for example, i brought it to the shop and got everything fixed and tuned, next day i broke things. everything was maintained i just ride it hard. would a cannondale trail sl4 be a good upgrade? sturdy, reliable, and better all around? I could also get a GT Pure for the same price, im new to bikes dont know a lot about em? any opinions

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If you can pick up an sl3 or sl2, they have better components. They sell at a nice discount if you can pick up a 2011
    2011 Cannondale Trail SL3
    2012 Santa Cruz Tallboy DXC

mtbr member
    picked up a 2012sl5 29er mid last month ride as much as I can. On a break from work so I have been on it 6 days a week. I dog the hell out of it its my first real bike. Have not broken anything yet. Was looking at a talon2, hardrock, in the end cdale felt lighter and smoother. Give it a test ride you just might fall in love with it.
    Fat birds cant fly
    But they can jump rocks and roots ; )

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nice Congrats!!! My girl just picked up a Sl4 29er aswell in lime green haha, what color did you get?
    2011 Cannondale Trail SL3
    2012 Santa Cruz Tallboy DXC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThierryR. View Post
    If you can pick up an sl3 or sl2, they have better components. They sell at a nice discount if you can pick up a 2011
    Yeah, I picked up a 2011 SL 2 new for 700. I'm loving it! Cant beat those components at that price.

mtbr member
    Mine is blue changed the grips and pedals blue. Going to redo the cable housing blue and white. Put a rock shox tora on it for my birthday at the end of the month. My gf got a 26 green she loves it to we are going purple and green on hers. I am upgradeing parts when skill and money go up ; )
    Fat birds cant fly

mtbr member
    O I also changed the front tire wanted something with a bit more bite. Put a captain 2.0 inthe front only about 40 miles with the tire but digging it so far.
    Fat birds cant fly

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCannon View Post
    Yeah, I picked up a 2011 SL 2 new for 700. I'm loving it! Cant beat those components at that price.
    Where did you get it for $700? I'm looking at maybe purchasing one and they're running at a little over $1000.

mtbr member
    I got mine from a local shop here is Texas call Bonzai Cycle Werx. I'm pretty sure they do not ship though. When I asked the owner why they were selling them for so cheap, he told me that Cannondale was the one driving the price drops. They are trying to get rid of their remaining stock of 2011 models. So if you have a local dealer at least now you know you should be able to haggle with them with a little confidence. They also had the SL 3 marked down to $570. The Rockshox, Deore, and Shimano brakes were worth the extra 130 for the SL 2 though in my opinion. Hope you can get a deal. Good luck.

Purulento
    Aug 2009
    @BlueCannon

Do you know the exact weight of the SL2? I got one couple weeks ago and I'm loving it.

mtbr member
    Yeah I actually had them weigh it for me at the shop. Without the pedals, my medium sized SL 2 was 27lbs 14oz.