Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trail SL2 talk

mtbr member

Trail SL2 talk

So I side by side rode the sl2 and trek Cobia. This is because I have decided I wanted an air shock and upgraded components. I had ridden bit desperately and was sure that I was going to choose the Cobia. Side by side, I thought the sl2 was smoother and I felt I had more power with it. The sl2 is $1199 and the Cobia is $1129. Identical components nearly, except Cobia has the 100m fork.
    1)lbs isn't coming off price...only 2013's are available..how's that price for a 2013?
    2)will I regret not having 80mm if I am mostly xc?
    3)lbs said can't run tubeless on this wheelset...anyone go tubeless off of stock wheels?
    4)any Clyde's riding 2013 sl2 with feedback?

mtbr member

Trail SL2 talk

I should also mention that sl2 was 2.5 pounds lighter than the Cobia.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I got the SL4 version of this bike, and I love it. I gave $900 for mine and if I remember right I think my LBS was offering the SL2 at 1200. so I think your right on par with the price. I weigh it at 220 and haven't had any problems out of my 4 yet, Which is the same frame as the sl2 ( only have about 50 miles so far though ) One thing to look at... does trek come with a lifetime warranty like the cdale?

mtbr member

Trail SL2 talk

Quote Originally Posted by J Hartman View Post
    I got the SL4 version of this bike, and I love it. I gave $900 for mine and if I remember right I think my LBS was offering the SL2 at 1200. so I think your right on par with the price. I weigh it at 220 and haven't had any problems out of my 4 yet, Which is the same frame as the sl2 ( only have about 50 miles so far though ) One thing to look at... does trek come with a lifetime warranty like the cdale?
    Good point on the warranty....no it doesn't. The % of frame issues I would imagine are small...but good insurance no doubt. I love that beefed up frame (1.5 inch) and I have to think it helped me feel that it was smoother due to that.

Just A Mountain Biker.

Trail SL2 talk

I paid right at 1k for my 2012, but that was as they were making room for 13's, so I think price is ok.

I had no luck converting to tubeless, but honestly I didn't try very hard as it gave me an excuse to upgrade. I'm sure I could have made it work, but it would have been ghetto.

80mm works fine for me, I ride in rocky AZ and don't miss the extra 20mm. Can always change it though.

I love the bike, smooth as silk and fast. I also test rode a lot, even a Flash which was more expensive, and still chose the Trail SL2.

YMMV of course.
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

mtbr member

Trail SL2 talk

Anyone able to get the stock wheels converted to tubeless via stans kit?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I don't see why using the Stans Kit would give you any issues to convert to tubeless. I decided to upgrade my wheels to Stan's, but my buddy used the kit on a stock set-up with out issue. Its a great system.
    Treks do come with a lifetime warranty on the frame...it even says it on their website.
    I think it comes down to the fit between the two...you can't change geometry as easy as you can upgrade components. I have a Trek and C'dale in my garage, luv them both.

mtbr member

Trail SL2 talk

Quote Originally Posted by buSSalo View Post
    I don't see why using the Stans Kit would give you any issues to convert to tubeless. I decided to upgrade my wheels to Stan's, but my buddy used the kit on a stock set-up with out issue. Its a great system.
    Treks do come with a lifetime warranty on the frame...it even says it on their website.
    I think it comes down to the fit between the two...you can't change geometry as easy as you can upgrade components. I have a Trek and C'dale in my garage, luv them both.
    Lbs said they couldn't do stans on the stock wheels that came with sl2.
    I'm looking for someone who has

linkwvu
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by salscott View Post
    So I side by side rode the sl2 and trek Cobia. This is because I have decided I wanted an air shock and upgraded components. I had ridden bit desperately and was sure that I was going to choose the Cobia. Side by side, I thought the sl2 was smoother and I felt I had more power with it. The sl2 is $1199 and the Cobia is $1129. Identical components nearly, except Cobia has the 100m fork.
    1)lbs isn't coming off price...only 2013's are available..how's that price for a 2013?
    2)will I regret not having 80mm if I am mostly xc?
    3)lbs said can't run tubeless on this wheelset...anyone go tubeless off of stock wheels?
    4)any Clyde's riding 2013 sl2 with feedback?
    I've had my 2013 SL2 since October and have had no problems at all and I am very happy with the choice I made. To address your points....

1. Seems like a fair price to me
    2. Shouldn't be a problem for you (just make sure they correctly set your sag at the LBS), though I plan to put a 100mm on it eventually just to slack the geo a tad
    3. Haven't tried, heard it's do-able though
    4. I am 6'1" and 184lbs, I ride pretty fast and go airborne every chance I get. Thing is solid as a rock and pretty forgiving for a Alum HT

FYI, I have changed quite a bit on this bike already but not because of any problems just because I have an upgrading/personalization addiction

mtbr member

Trail SL2 talk

Quote Originally Posted by LinkWVUin FL View Post

FYI, I have changed quite a bit on this bike already but not because of any problems just because I have an upgrading/personalization addiction
    Thanks...there are worse addictions.

mtbr member

Trail SL2 talk

Trail SL2 talk-imageuploadedbytapatalk1360366190.917838.jpg

So I got my 2013 sl2 today. I love the way it rides and had to go put 10 miles on it. Sorry for those in the northeast, I worked up a pretty good sweat.

linkwvu
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by salscott View Post

So I got my 2013 sl2 today. I love the way it rides and had to go put 10 miles on it. Sorry for those in the northeast, I worked up a pretty good sweat.
    Very nice man, like the black. I went with the blue
    Trail SL2 talk-phpvwrsznpm.jpg

mtbr member

Trail SL2 talk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phpVwrsZnPM.jpg 
Views:	3408 
Size:	437.5 KB 
ID:	770002
    I thought long and hard about the blue...it's sharp. The frame has very clean lines and the frame is the reason I chose it over the Cobia.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have a 2013 SL2 on order, cannondale isnt shipping them again until 2nd week in april. Could have walked out with the black, but i wanted the blue.

Its Gonna be a long wait..

1199.00 Is what i Paid and thats what they are going for

First bike purchase since i was a teen, 15 years ago so i am super excited

First mtnbike, first 29er, first Cannondale

mtbr member

Trail SL2 talk

Quote Originally Posted by jangles View Post
    I have a 2013 SL2 on order, cannondale isnt shipping them again until 2nd week in april. Could have walked out with the black, but i wanted the blue.

Its Gonna be a long wait..

1199.00 Is what i Paid and thats what they are going for

First bike purchase since i was a teen, 15 years ago so i am super excited

First mtnbike, first 29er, first Cannondale
    It's a great bike, and I paid the full 1199 also. I don't regret it at all...I just need to get better on the trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Glad you like it, cant wait to get on it and ride.

The wait gives me time to pick up the things ill need, a helmet, cage and bottle, and maybe a pair of gloves.

Looking at the cannondale quick helmet to go along side with it.

I really fell in love with bike at the lbs

We dont have many techincal trails here in cleveland, but we have a hell of a metroparks system.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phpVwrsZnPM.jpg 
Views:	3408 
Size:	437.5 KB 
ID:	770002
    Great pic, I ordered the Sl2 but really wanted the Sl1 but it wasn't available for order any time soon.

Just wondering what kind of tires you are running and what size, I am thinking about going to at least 2.2 if not higher since I'm a solid Clyde.

Anyone have any experience with clearance and max tire size for the Trail sl?

linkwvu
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fireman1867 View Post
    Great pic, I ordered the Sl2 but really wanted the Sl1 but it wasn't available for order any time soon.

Just wondering what kind of tires you are running and what size, I am thinking about going to at least 2.2 if not higher since I'm a solid Clyde.

Anyone have any experience with clearance and max tire size for the Trail sl?
    Thanks man, I am running Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 front and rear. Great tire and would recommend to anyone! I would say they run at a true 2.25" width and I have plenty of room to spare. Should be able to run a little larger if I wanted.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the reply 2.25 it is!

Haven't ridden a modern(pre 2002) MTB so I am interested in how to dial in the fork, I have been looking online for tips, I pick the bike up this week and I'll see how it goes.

I didn't love the SRAM shifters when I tested the bike but the LBS said I would get used to it.

linkwvu
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fireman1867 View Post
    Thanks for the reply 2.25 it is!

Haven't ridden a modern(pre 2002) MTB so I am interested in how to dial in the fork, I have been looking online for tips, I pick the bike up this week and I'll see how it goes.

I didn't love the SRAM shifters when I tested the bike but the LBS said I would get used to it.
    Just be sure to have the LBS set your sag before you leave the shop, then after that you can adjust the rebound to your preference by turning the knob at the bottom of the right side (if you are standing over the bike) fork leg. I've changed out the X5 shifters with the X9 shifters and love them so far. I really like the thumb-thumb action of the SRAM shifters and it didn't take long at all to get accustomed to them. They allow you to keep a finger on the brake all the times. Let me know if you have anymore questions... Hope you enjoy the bike! Be sure to post some pics once you get her dirty!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am considering this bike. I am almost 5' 11" with a 34" inseam. Just wondering about the sizes you guys have and how tall you are? Just looking for some additional feedback. Lbs says i am "between sizes". Thanks!

linkwvu
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatfun1 View Post
    I am considering this bike. I am almost 5' 11" with a 34" inseam. Just wondering about the sizes you guys have and how tall you are? Just looking for some additional feedback. Lbs says i am "between sizes". Thanks!
    I am 6'1" with a 33" inseam and got the large.... For your height I would say you are near the upper end of a medium but with a 34" inseam you won't have any stand over clearance issues on a large. I would recommend riding both and going with which ever is more comfortable.

mtbr member

Trail SL2 talk

I'm 6ft 34 inseam and large is perfect....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am 5'11 as well and around 240 pds, LBS fitted me with the large frame, go and try Out the different sizes, you will know which one feels right. Good luck

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Maybe you guys can give me some opinions here. I currently have a 2011 Flash F3 alloy with the headshok. It is a large and is probably a shade too big for me. I am considering a 2012 SL2 but it's going to cost me a few hundred extra out of pocket. I picked the flash up for $500 basically in new condition.

The question is.... stick with the flash and just get a shorter stem, or go with the smaller sl2? I am not sold on the headshok as I'd prefer a standard fork OEM for later upgrade purposes. Otherwise, I'm thrilled with the bike.

The stock length is only about 20mm or so different between large and medium.

My post count is too low for a new post, so I'm trying to piggyback lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast