mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Which Trail SL 29'ER

I am about to purchase my first bike in years. I am going to get a Cannondale Trail SL 29'ER. I plan on getting the XL frame since I am 6'8" 330 lbs but I can't decide between the SL 29'ER 4 ($800), SL 29'ER 3 ($1000), or the SL 29'ER 2 ($1150). What is the difference and is the additional expense worth the price? Are the prices that I was quoted reasonable?
    Last edited by mstgkillr; 10-25-2011 at 02:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I was told that I might need to upgrade the rims to support my weight, any suggestions? Also, I heard the pedals are not very good, any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Anyone?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My trail sl 3 just arrived 2 hours ago. Pedals look pretty cheap tbh. Don't know about the rims yet, but will be interested to find out! Bike looks great

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nwobhm View Post
    My trail sl 3 just arrived 2 hours ago. Pedals look pretty cheap tbh. Don't know about the rims yet, but will be interested to find out! Bike looks great
    What made you decide to go with the SL3? Could I ask how much you paid for it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi NW,

I can't help with the C-Dale specific questions but for the strength and wheel questions, you will want to check in at the Clydesdale subforum which has a wealth of info for us larger guys.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mstgkillr View Post
    What made you decide to go with the SL3? Could I ask how much you paid for it?
    Just went by my budget and what came up on-line after reading reviews. Spent 800.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hate to talk you away from C'dale, but you may want to look at a steel frame. Wheelset on the 4 is different than the 2 & 3, I'd check weight limits there. I'd think with your jumbo size, you might be able to find some crazy good deals on closeouts somewhere. I am guessing you could find a lot of bike for 1k. Shop around if you are in a large enough area, or look on-line & factor in $50-$75 to have a shop build it up for you, of course you'd be loosing out on all the perks of going with a local shop & supporting the local riding seen. However, you are a BIG dude & want a bike that will last for you, I'd say that is cause to at least explore your options.

Just Ride
    All 3 of these bikes have the same frame, which from what I can tell on my SL 4 is pretty damn solid! Dunno much about the SL 3. Didn't look into it much, but it's spec'd between the SL 2 and 4.

The SL 2 has an air fork. Which will probably be better in your case. The pedals are garbage, so you'll need to replace those ASAP. Maybe your LBS will upgrade your pedals at no additional charge? Never hurts to ask. Also the SL2 has hydro brakes. Which is nice but not necessary IMO as the mechanical disc brakes of the SL 4 work just fine. Though I'm sure I'll upgrade to hydro at some point.

The rest of the specs on each bike are irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. None of the shifters, cranks, cassettes, chain are any where near top of the line. But for budget conscious consumers like myself, they all work just fine!

The trail line seems to be a decent beginner platform. Whichever you end up with you can ride as is, with different pedals, or you can upgrade over time. Of course keep your options open and get whatever has the best fit. Unless your done shopping around and have settled on a trail SL model?
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've been on my SL2 for a few months now and have no complaints. The bike shop I went to had a SL4 rental that I tried out first as well. I ended up with the SL2, 1. because that's what they had in stock and ready to go, and 2. because I wanted the hydraulic brakes. There is a massive difference in brake feel and controllability between the hydraulics on the SL2 and the cable disc brakes on the SL4.

Eventually I'm going to upgrade the rear derailleur & shifter as that seems to be about the only weak point. It works--standing up, sitting down, uphill, downhill--but it can lag a little bit at times and skip gears, etc. I'm having to mess with it every few rides to keep it tuned properly.

But yeah, I beat the F out of my bike and it's bombproof. No complaints. I upgraded to Spinergy Xyclone wheels w/Stans Tubeless conversion, and then SPD pedals. That's it. In size L, weighs ~28lbs (with the original wheels).

To be totally honest, I didn't do much research on SL2 vs. SL3 vs SL4.. I bought what they had available. I also paid $999 for my SL2, assembled and ready to go. Outstanding bike for the money. They says it's a "beginner bike".. I ride quite a bit (road & mountain) and I've had $4000 Stumpjumpers and Trek EX mountain bikes in the past. I bought the Trail SL as a cheap way to try a 29er. Had I spent $3000 on a top aluminum 29er, it's hard to say if I'd even notice the difference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hi all,

Some help please, I have a 29er TRAIL SL2, I want replace the wheels, but I don't know what tipe of hub I need order, the factory hubs are Formula DC-20 fornt and DC-22 rear, I am planning keep the original brakes and cassette (SRAM X5 10 speeds), BTW what stage quick release skewer I must use?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixR34 View Post
    I've been on my SL2 for a few months now and have no complaints. The bike shop I went to had a SL4 rental that I tried out first as well. I ended up with the SL2, 1. because that's what they had in stock and ready to go, and 2. because I wanted the hydraulic brakes. There is a massive difference in brake feel and controllability between the hydraulics on the SL2 and the cable disc brakes on the SL4.

Eventually I'm going to upgrade the rear derailleur & shifter as that seems to be about the only weak point. It works--standing up, sitting down, uphill, downhill--but it can lag a little bit at times and skip gears, etc. I'm having to mess with it every few rides to keep it tuned properly.

But yeah, I beat the F out of my bike and it's bombproof. No complaints. I upgraded to Spinergy Xyclone wheels w/Stans Tubeless conversion, and then SPD pedals. That's it. In size L, weighs ~28lbs (with the original wheels).

To be totally honest, I didn't do much research on SL2 vs. SL3 vs SL4.. I bought what they had available. I also paid $999 for my SL2, assembled and ready to go. Outstanding bike for the money. They says it's a "beginner bike".. I ride quite a bit (road & mountain) and I've had $4000 Stumpjumpers and Trek EX mountain bikes in the past. I bought the Trail SL as a cheap way to try a 29er. Had I spent $3000 on a top aluminum 29er, it's hard to say if I'd even notice the difference.
    I'm thinking of upgrading my wheelset, too. How are you liking the Spinergy wheels? How easy was it to do the Stan's conversion?
    2013 Santa Cruz Solo C
    2013 Santa Cruz Chameleon 650b SS
    2012 Giant Defy (Roadie)