Thread: Touch Up Paint?

mtbr member

Touch Up Paint?

So I picked up my Judge this weekend, and noticed a small bit where paint had been left off (see image below). Question - does anyone know if C'dale sells touch up paint? Am thinking this would be good to have for scratches as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Sorry about raising an old post but was going to ask the same question. Cannnondale offer touch up paint http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/tech/kitlist.html
    BUT here's the rub I can only find it for model years '97-2000! Anybody know if the colours a still the same or whether its just not offered on newer models? If not any reason not to use something from an auto accessory store which will presumably have been made for steel not aluminium?

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    Call your dealer. They exist for paint colors from the last 3 or 4 years or so. Maybe even older if it is a long running color like patriot blue. The website is probably just not up to date.

a.k.a.-Cranial Disharmony
    Don't waste your time. Cannondale's touch up paint is garbage. I've made the mistake 4 times (yea, my bad) and everytime it's dry as a bone and wrong tone.
    "Life sucks, get a fu*king helmet, okay?" - Dennis Leary

Ridin' dirty!
    Just get some flat black Rust-Oleum paint or go to your local hobby store to pick up some modeling paint (like Testors)....
    I mixed my own shades for my old Delta V with those and it turned out flawlessly!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    For touch ups, I just use nail polish. Cheap, effective, and comes in any color and texture imaginable.

Just make sure and take your wife, girlfriend, sister, etc. to go buy it with you. Women are better at remembering/matching colors.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Touchup stick from automotive accessory dealer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for your info guys.
    Cdalemaniac your Delta V' just beautiful but a tad more than I had in mind cover a bit of cable rub!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyPete
    For touch ups, I just use nail polish. Cheap, effective, and comes in any color and texture imaginable.

Just make sure and take your wife, girlfriend, sister, etc. to go buy it with you. Women are better at remembering/matching colors.
    Ditto!!! I was able to match my smoky clear coat by mixing clear polish with some black polish.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker921
    Thanks for your info guys.
    Cdalemaniac your Delta V' just beautiful but a tad more than I had in mind cover a bit of cable rub!
    Thanks....it's been my baby for a long time...I completely rebuilt it with new vintage parts (Really hard to come by) and now it's boxed up and in storage.
    It never saw a trail after the rebuilt.
    I keep it for sentimental value.
    Was my first cannondale.... love the delta v frame. All the other HT's I had after that were either Killer or delta V's...
    That's why I like my Prophet so much...something about that beefy looking frame....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

got the dhr...
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    That's why I like my Prophet so much...something about that beefy looking frame....
    Thats what made me have love-at-first sight of a prophet. Then it became a habit to look at prophets at night. Eventually, christmas time came around, and my prophet (the mach 5.5) came over for a visit. Now, she lives with me. I try to ride her every day. LOL

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Funny that you bring this up. I have an area where the chain rubbed against my BBQ black frame. Anyone know if nail polish comes in the matte black (BBQ)? I have a simple 2008 Cannondale F5.

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    Some flat black rustoleum would do the trick. Just mask off the chainstay with masking tape so you don't get over-spray everywhere.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bad ronald
    Some flat black rustoleum would do the trick. Just mask off the chainstay with masking tape so you don't get over-spray everywhere.
    Problem is that it is behind the chainring. my chain slipped and got caught there and ground off some paint. Not sure how I'd spray without hitting all parts of the area.

dh1
    mtbr member
    You can actually buy BBQ grill paint at the hardware store. If it's in a hard to reach spot, spray it onto a paper plate until you have some pooling, dip in a brush and dab it onto your frame.

You should install some sort of chainstay protection. Chainsuck is not uncommon and at best it makes a blemish on your frame. At worst it can ruin your frame. Some guys use an old inner tube, some guys use an old road tire, some guys use tennis grips or road bike handlebar grips. Some even use electrical tape (although this can get gooey and messy). Search the forums for chainstay protector and make your own.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dh1
    You can actually buy BBQ grill paint at the hardware store. If it's in a hard to reach spot, spray it onto a paper plate until you have some pooling, dip in a brush and dab it onto your frame.

You should install some sort of chainstay protection. Chainsuck is not uncommon and at best it makes a blemish on your frame. At worst it can ruin your frame. Some guys use an old inner tube, some guys use an old road tire, some guys use tennis grips or road bike handlebar grips. Some even use electrical tape (although this can get gooey and messy). Search the forums for chainstay protector and make your own.

Very helpful stuff. Will check out the chain stay. Problem is the area it is scratched is very tight to the chain ring. If it gets too thick of a protector, then it would interfere with the chain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Cannondale uses PPG paint codes (same as automotive) You should be able to get the paint code somehow (ownersmanual/ phonecal?) and just go to a car parts store.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JDG1317
    Cannondale uses PPG paint codes (same as automotive) You should be able to get the paint code somehow (ownersmanual/ phonecal?) and just go to a car parts store.
    I used the rustoleum matte black and it isn't exactly lined up with the color of the frame. The good news is that my areas of paint are not noticeable so most people won't catch the change in pain. Ultimately, if my main area of the frame gets dinged up, I will give Cannondale or my bike shop a call to get the PPG color code.