mtbr member
    May 2004

Took my Jekyll 2000 for granted.

I've had my Jekyll 2000 since 2001 and just recently picked up a Kona Stinky for freeride/DH duty. I took the Stinky on the trail and then got back on the Jekyll...let me tell you...it was nice to get back on the Jekyll. The Jekyll felt like a sports car after taking the Stinky on the trails, especially on the uphill portions. That thing may be stong and have twice the travel but the Jekyll sure was more plush over the small bumps and a world of difference in the climbs. Now I dont take my Jekyll for granted. I just put on a remote lock out and all is good. The Stinky will be saved for down hill duty and for those short ride when I still want a workout.

Anyone else out there with a Jekyll that has another ride for specific duties? I know the Jekyll can also decend quite well especially with the adjustability but I dont want to abuse it when I can easily take a chairlift up and abuse the Stinky, for which it was designed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I have a Jekyll 900 SL and I gotta tell you , unless you do a lot of techinical downhill, the Jeckyll is the only Mt.Bike you will need. I've had mine for over 3 years and gort rid of my other bikes (Super V 1000 SL and a Trek Hardtail). Its light, fast and durable.

I've gone through some decent technical drops and I hung there with the FS boys.

I dont get to techinical since I dont have a lot of front shock travel.

I love my Jeckyll, the Scalpel may be the only bike I would consider.

happy riding

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I agree. The Jekyll does pretty much everything especially climbing. For ski resort riding where it's mainly down hill and free riding, the Jekyll tends to be too light and gets thrown around more than my Stinky. This is the only disadvantage that I've found with light bikes. Because of it's 42 lb. weight and 2.5 tires, the stinky tracks much better and doesn't get knocked around as much. Also, the I get a much better work out with the Stinky...ie. climbs like a semi with a full load of lead weights. Other than that, my Jekyll is my favorite ride. I would get a Gemini also but I cant justify 2 $2500+ bikes. My wife would cut my balls of if I did that. The Stinky was bad enough at $1600.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan23
    I have a Jekyll 900 SL and I gotta tell you , unless you do a lot of techinical downhill, the Jeckyll is the only Mt.Bike you will need. I've had mine for over 3 years and gort rid of my other bikes (Super V 1000 SL and a Trek Hardtail). Its light, fast and durable.

I've gone through some decent technical drops and I hung there with the FS boys.

I dont get to techinical since I dont have a lot of front shock travel.

I love my Jeckyll, the Scalpel may be the only bike I would consider.

happy riding
    Did your 900 SL come with the original Coda Expert disk brakes? I'm wondering because I have a 900 SL and the brakes worked well for awhile but have become a problem recently/

Last season I swapped the Ultra DL with an RS Psylo just to add some travel. I liked the Ultra DL for fast xc but around here you need a bit more travel for most stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Edderd
    Did your 900 SL come with the original Coda Expert disk brakes? I'm wondering because I have a 900 SL and the brakes worked well for awhile but have become a problem recently/

Last season I swapped the Ultra DL with an RS Psylo just to add some travel. I liked the Ultra DL for fast xc but around here you need a bit more travel for most stuff.
    My 900 SL came with CODA EXPERT DISK brakes, I have yet to have any problems. Most people say its crappy etc but so far for me its been great. It was kinda mushy when I first got it but my bike mechanic bled them and they work fine.

regards