Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Tires for F4?

956 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  de8212 
#1 ·
My stock tires on my 2008 F4 are in need of being replaced. Anyone have any suggestions? Any good "bang for the buck" tires?

Also, while I'm at it I wouldn't mind replacing the presta valves with schrader. Would I just need to drill out the rim a bit? I don't want it to look terrible.

#2 ·
Presta and Schrader holes are different sizes so you'd have to drill.

Depending on what kind of riding you do rocket rons are good XC and light trail tires, then nobby nics being another step up the trail ladder. Snakeskin sidewalls are recommended if you're doing tubeless.

RR rear and NN front is a decent combo for most things. (I had a F series bike with that combo)

#3 ·
thanks. I normally do light trails, nothing too aggressive (rocks, etc.). I'll google them in a minute. Is there a certain series of eiter tire you recomend or just any by those brands?

I forgot to ask, my current size is 26 x 2. Would going 26 x 2.25 be an issue?

I did see these when I did a quick search at amazon earlier.

Link

I assume since the price is so low they probably aren't that good.

#7 ·
Big vote for Conti Mountain Kings here. Broad range of price options, as well as widths.

Far stickier rubber than a majority of the tires out there, particularly the cheapos. Hard rubber is great if you ride rock all day long, but for mixed riding, with dirt, roots, and rocks, softer gives much better grip for control during braking, cornering, etc. Yes, softer rubber wears out faster, but nothing worse than a 5 year old, barely worn down, hard compound tire that has just rounded off the edges of the knobs, less than no bite, but to look at them, you'd think, why would I replace it, the knob are still so big?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.