Thread: Tires

mtbr member

Tires

I'm getting my wheelset tomorrow and wondered if I should run UST or not. The wheels are ZTR olympic rims (~347) with a lefty hub up front and a Dirty Flea rear. Which tires are you guys and girls running on your tubeless set-up? I will also be running Stans sealant goop too.

Any help is appreciated!

~AMillmtb

Will post pics when I get the wheels. Cant wait to get em out on the trail, but all we've had here in PA is rain .

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    of the few i've tried i've enjoyed Continental Vertical Pro UST 2.3. i tried the new Nevegal 2.35 UST, but even on a Prophet it seems like a huge tire. and some kind of Serac XC 2.1, but haven't had much time on them.

try w/o Stans goop first, if your environment doesn't give you holes there's no need for it. i'm at almost two years and no flats, just a couple burps on bad landings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have a Rush and I have had excellent results with the Maxxis tires running them for 2000+ miles with 1 flat that sealant didnt cure. I would definitely recommend using the Stans Sealant if you have any kind of thorns or potential punctures.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately I live in Western PA where almost every bush has some sort of thorn, so I need the sealant. JDP, on your rush do you have the Crossmark's?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I had Continental verticals 2.3 on my Rus, they felt a bit slow, so I changed for LarsenTT (2.0). Finaly found the right combination for me with Maxxis ignitor 2.1 on the back and Continental Vertical 2.3 in front. I tound all this tires to get flats rearly, my Nobby nics on my Rize get flast all the time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    amill, I am using crossmarks on both of my rushes and I have been very happy with the performance but occasionally i will catch the front sliding out in the thick dusty sections. So I bought some Larsen TT LUST tires yesterday to try out soon if the trails will dry up after all the rain we finally got here in S Texas.

mtbr member
    Any non ust maxxis works good with the sealant, kenda tires work good too. The important thing is a non ust tire with a strong bead. Converting your non ust tires to tubeless put's more stress on the beads. I also recommend no more than 30 - 35 lbs of air pressure. I never go above 30 lbs anymore. The non ust maxxis monorail is great and I also am a big fan of the non ust crossmark.

mtbr member
    Anyone have experence with the Specialized Captian 2bliss? We have those at the shop I work at. How do you guys like the Maxxis Larson TT's? I think I may be swayed toward these because they are a true UST tire and not made by an evil bike company, the big obnoxious S. I have heard generally good things about the larsons and they look like the tread pattern is aggressive enough to handle the disgusting wet and mud that is here in Western PA. How do the Larson's handle in the wet and muddy, I got a lot of wet roots too, and occationaly a lot of rock. This is the wettest summer so far and need a good tire for the wet and nasty.

I also finished the back wheel today and its 776g, lighter than I thought it would be...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

maxxis

I put a set of maxxis larsen tt's on my rush last weekend and I was very impressed. Rolling resistance didn't feel any different to me that the crossmarks. But what I did notice is that the larsen tires felt much smoother and softer. Maybe the rubber compound is softer plus there's more separation in tread pattern. The grip felt better also.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    Anyone have experence with the Specialized Captian 2bliss? We have those at the shop I work at. How do you guys like the Maxxis Larson TT's? I think I may be swayed toward these because they are a true UST tire and not made by an evil bike company, the big obnoxious S. I have heard generally good things about the larsons and they look like the tread pattern is aggressive enough to handle the disgusting wet and mud that is here in Western PA. How do the Larson's handle in the wet and muddy, I got a lot of wet roots too, and occationaly a lot of rock. This is the wettest summer so far and need a good tire for the wet and nasty.

I also finished the back wheel today and its 776g, lighter than I thought it would be...
    I have ran the Spec Captain 2bliss on the front and back. Roll well and grips well. I like it better on the back. If you run it up front, keep in under 35 lbs.

I have run the Eskar 2.3 up front. I like almost everthing about it. However, the lack of a transition knobbie from top to side is an issue for me. I have had a few crashes when it washed, then gripped when I hit the full side knobbie. I'm currently running an Kenda Negeval 2.35 UST on the front. It's kind of heavy (added 300gr of rotational weight), but seems to grip well so far. I should have oppted for the 2.1 negeval. It's closer to the Eskar weight.

I have run the Fast trak LK on the back. It's light, but grip is not great in the softer stuff.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.