Thread: Tires

mtbr member

Tires

Ok so I am new to the sport..I have a stock Rush..just posted my first pic of the bike (see post a pic thread).

I am inpressed with the bike, much better than wifes trk 4300 or my old HR, but I am getting flats like crazy.

I want/need new tires. I am not try to spend over $125 for 2 tires. I am getting flats from like thorns from bushes and briars.

Suggestions please.

I want to keep tubes.

thanks

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If you have ust rims, use ust tires with a little stans sealant. Or, you can use tubeless ready with sealant like Spec 2Bliss tires.

With regular rims you can get Spec Armadillo type tires. The armadillo version is availible in many of Spec tires.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

got the dhr...
    you could try slime.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That's right, they make a slime tube that may work for you.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    "I want to keep tubes."

I've been using Stan's in regular tubes on some of our bikes. Since the valve cores aren't removable, I cut a tiny hole in the tube, inject a few ounces of Stan's Sealant, then patch the tube (in theory it would patch itself, just being thorough).

Seems kinda weird to willfully poke a hole in a perfectly good tube, but it's worked great so far (except in one case where I used an old patch kit, and the glue was no good and patch failed)

(I posted about this in the Tires MTBR forum a while back, and there's a bunch of other info there on the subject)
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    thanks guys..this was a great first post/response.

mtbr member
    Why do you want to keep tubes? Even if you have non ust rims, you can get some of stans rim strips (something like $20 ea) and begin using tubeless tires with stans in them. You will get less flats and the bonus is you get the ride of a tubeless tire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have about 2K miles on my Rush using the Mavic Crossmax UST wheels with Maxxis LUST Crossmarks and I have had two flats! After the first flat I put some Stan's Sealant and didn't have another flat until a year later only because the tire was cut and I couldn't wait long enough for stans to seal.

I am picking up some Maxxis Larsen TT LUST tires this week to see if the slightly more aggressive tread with help in the dust down here in S. Texas, well, it was just dust until the rain came last week that we desparately needed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    seriously reconsider ditching the tubes. Aside from that, try using thicker (even DH) tubes, or running harder pressures (if you are pinch-flatting versus punctures). If you are getting punctures, try slime or some latex-y substance to put in your tubes. Tires will depend on terrain and riding style as well. Continental Mountain Kings and the Hutchinson Toro are some good all-rounders.

mtbr member
    I would go tubeless but if it is best then I would do it. I was hoping for an alternative to dropping $350 on a set of rims and tires or $250 convertin the stock tubed tired to tubeless. Do those prices seem correct?

sugestions?

remember...I am new to the sport. names & brands do not help me (YET), descriptions and explanations work better (for now).

thanks all,

T

mtbr member
    I ride on incredibly rocky terrain in south western VA and was pinch flatting every other ride for the past month. Yesterday I picked up a set of Specialized Chunder Pros (last years model still on sale on specialized.com under tires and special). I can run less pressure (with tubes) then I could with my old tires and still have not pinched flatted in the 50 miles I have on them. I would highly suggest the Chunders, but then again I do not have problems with thorns and other object piercing the tube. Good luck.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I would also like to understand your attachment to the conventional bicycle tube. Your complaints of getting frequent flats is a common tale and is something often solved with the help of Stan's NoTubes Tire Sealant and a tubeless setup.

For starters, you get the pleasure of running lower tire pressure which is only going to give you increased traction; meaning a gain in control of your bike, allowing you to charge harder and more confidently. Also, should something attempt to puncture your tire on the trail, the Stan's is there to plug the hole, so long as it's up to a 1/4".

Riders of all interests and skill sets have happily adopted UST and Tubeless technology for years; there is nothing questionable about it...it is the way to go!

As for tires...the usual questions apply: where do you ride, how is the dirt, what's your riding style like, etc. I like the Rush as a XC-Trail bike, thus a mid-width, lightweight tire with sufficient cornering knobs sounds most ideal. I have had great success with Mike Sinyard's tires, and the Satisfaction Guarantee that comes with each pair! They aren't too expensive, considering what you get and compared to the competition. For a Rush, I'd grab a set of S-Works Captain's...they are a wide 2.0. They roll extremely efficiently and corner decently; it is a tire that benefits from lower tire pressure. The Captain's come in two forms, Captain Control and S-Works Captain; the S-Works is simply lighter and 2Bliss, meaning it works with most, if not all, tubeless setups.

I have a set of S-Works Eskar 2.3 tires on my Prophet MX; setup with Stan's these tires hook-up every time! I usually run them anywhere between 35-45 psi. I don't think one can have high expectations in terms of rolling resistance on higher volume tires like these, however these aren't bad; hey are pretty lightweight, weighing under 700 grams. As for handling and cornering, I don't think I have found a tire better! I came off a set of Maxxis High-Rollers and, short of a WTB Timberwolf DH tire, I haven't found a tire that grips and corners better!

I spend most of my MTB time on my Prophet MX, thus I ride my S-Works Eskars a lot, however I have had the opportunity to ride the S-Works Captain's on several occasions. For a XC tire, I think they do pretty well; they are certainly fast and corner well enough for hard XC riding; I never lost confidence in these tires. The front tired did however, occasionally slip out in hard, fast corners; I never went down but certainly had to change my line. I think it is save to say a tire of this nature will have its limit; I think it was simply me exceeding that limit more than it being an inadequate tire.

Try them, you've got nothing to loose...Satisfaction is Guaranteed!