Cannondale Snob

Tire Spoons on the HeadWrench suck

I have tubeless WTB Weirwolves on Mavic Crossmax wheels. I was using the tire spoons from the HeadWrench to fix a flat (put a tube in ) and broke one of the spoons trying to remount the wheel. Someone else broke the other spoon right after I did ("oops, sorry dude"). The plastic has a hole drilled through it, and the rubber grip has a small nub that pushes into this hole to help hold it in place. BOTH spoons broke right through that hole.

Someone with el' cheapo tire spoons came by and they did the trick with much less effort and no breakage

A stiffer, or somehow plastic, with a textured grip instead of the rubber, and no holes to promote breakage, would be a nice change for these spoons. Maybe an aluminum spine with plastic edges to make it stiff and strong while not marring the rim?
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

LA CHÈVRE
    You should learn to mount and unmount tires by hand, you wont break useless levers and you'll have less risk to damage your rims and tire's beads (most UST tire and rim manufacturers ask not to use levers). As a bonus, you'll look like a stud!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    I wouldn't imagine that a compact multi-tool would have very heavy duty tire levers on them. Sort of like the chain tool on most every multi tool.

It sucks to have something not work when you're out on the trail. Glad to hear you had a Good Samaritan come along. That's good Trail Karma.

Cannondale Snob
    A few "studs" were onhand the first time my rear tire got a hole in it and had to have the tube installed. They b*tched and moaned about how hard it was to get the tire back on, and had to resort to tire spoons then, too. Maybe the tire has to be broken in some? I pushed it about 4 miles last time and it didn't seem quite so stiff.

I wouldn't imagine that a $40+ multi-tool would have worthless tire spoons...

Cannondale Snob
    Kudos to University Bicycles in Tampa, FL. They exchanged the entire Headwrench for a new one!

I made sure to buy some stuff while I was in the store, and will try to keep doing business with them despite living about an hour away. Good customer service gets rewarded with repeat business.