Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006

Tire impressions anyone?

Looking at getting more of a racing tire for my Rush, thinking about going with Maxxis Monorail or Schwable Racing Ralph/ Fast Fred Combo. Anyone have any experience with these tires? Have a set of Oriflamme's and love them, but want something with a bit more tread. The trails around here are fairly hardpacked with some sandy sections, rooty, good bit of flat switchbacks so traction is prefered over weight.

Thanks
    Eskimo

LA CHÈVRE
    I'm really liking the 08 Racing Ralphs, I use them on both wheels and they roll fast but they are still very grippy and predictable, no bad surprises in a variety of conditions (hardpack, loose over hard, roots, rocks, dry, wet). They are probably my favorite do it all race type tires ever so far.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    Dan are you running them tubeless, tubed, stans conversion? I have the crossland wheelset so i can run them any way. Im familiar with Maxxis, and my shop is just now able to get Schwable and i've always been curious as to how they perform and hold up.

LA CHÈVRE
    I use the 2.1 UST versions. Weights were a bit more than claimed but still very light for true UST tires, one was in the 620 grams range, the other 640 something... I have heard they wear faster than most but it's too early to tell for me, I only have three rides on them.

mtbr member
    my two favorites are maxxis crossmarks and hutchinson python new generation i've tried the vredestein black panther with good results also.

the maxxis monorail that came stock on my bike sucked compared to the crossmark in my opinion but i don't know what type of terrain you ride on.

although i didn't like them my wife swears up on the kenda karma and smallblock 8's

LA CHÈVRE
    I liked the Crossmarks... before I tried the Racing Ralphs. They perform similarly on hardpack but the RR have a much bigger range of use where they perform great.

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    Ran Kendas on my old bike, hated them. Had Panaracers, great in mud but thats it, everyone else swear by them here. Have CrossMarks, LOVE them, but want a better all around, and a little bit lighter as well. Thanks for all the input!

Dan if you get a muddy ride in let me know how they hold up.

mtbr member
    I have a 2 sets on continental mountain kings and love them. I have the 2.2 supersonics and 2.4 UST's. The supersonics are more like a 2.1 but very light and have the best traction of any other tire I've tried. The supersonics were about 500gr each!!!!! The 2.4 UST's have the same great traction but are obviously heavier. The UST's were very easy to mount on my crosstrails and they have not lost pressure. The 2.4's corner a bit better and thats why they are on my prophet. The 2.2 supersonics are on my rush. I have great trust in these tires in the turns, off camber sections and any other trail conditions i've thrown them into.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by EskimoFriend
    Ran Kendas on my old bike, hated them. Had Panaracers, great in mud but thats it, everyone else swear by them here. Have CrossMarks, LOVE them, but want a better all around, and a little bit lighter as well. Thanks for all the input!

Dan if you get a muddy ride in let me know how they hold up.
    They were good yesterday on the Mont Sainte-Anne World Cup course. Some portions of the course in the open were almost dry but under the trees, it was quite greasy with lots of rocks and some roots, they impressed me, not once did I wish for other tires...
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 07-21-2008 at 11:09 AM.

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for all the input, i've pretty much made up my mind and going with the schwables. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    I recently went tubeless and run a crossmark back, and a larson TT front. I have only ridden the set-up 5 times, but I'm loving it so far. The larson helps in the cornering where the crossmark lacks. The crossmark out back provides fast acceleration and exceptional grip on most every surface that I have come across so far.

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    I absolutely love my Racing Ralphs!! Didnt go tubeless because they only had one tubless left at hawley so i went with the 2.25 evo's. what an awsome tire!!

mtbr member
    Update on my last post....its been a little wet around here lately, and the crossmark on the back sucks. Every turn I try to bank it into, it slides out. There is no grip on any wet surface (rocks or roots). I will be getting another Larson TT for the rear, or just going to the specialized Captain S-works 2Bliss.