Prophet converted!

Time to rebuild Lefty max FFD?

I have an 07 Prophet with a Lefty Max FFD. The bike has very little ride time on it (probably around 20-30 hours).

I've noticed that the Lefty has started making a strange sound when I quickly decompress the shock. It sounds like it is sucking air bubbles when the fork returns to the decompressed state. I'm guessing the fluid chamber has air in it, but i'm not sure how or why this would happen.

I also put the bike on a car bike-rack for the first time, and when parked the car, I noticed some red fluid had blown out from around the top cap (near the rebound knob).

What do you guys think could be causing these two problems? Summer time is here and I cant ride until I get this fixed
    07 Prophet 5

mtbr member
    is your foam filter dirty ? it sits under the rubber shock boot right behind the small air holes. also have you reset the shock? Not sure about the fluid around the top cap. my lefty has red grease around the internals. could some have gotten hot and came up from the cap?

karl

mtbr member

FFD details

While we're on the subject...

I ride a 2005 Jekyll with Lefty max 140,

does anyone know how can I tell whether I need to refill oil and where in the fork do I add it,

what kind of oil etc...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    As stated above, clean that foam filter and reoil it. Make sure all the little holes are clear. They are hard to spot if you dont know where they are. Or, if it's covered with dirt.

As for spurting that red oil,
    It's possible some shock oil got into the spring chamber and thinned things out. I had that happen to me before mine needed a rebuild. I stored my bike upside down.

If you are not sure, send it to Craig at MendonCycleSmith.com. He'll fix it up real nice at a good price
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member

maybe I've got a different fork

what foam filter?

maybe I've got a different fork..or maybe I didn't disassemble the fork far enough.

I see two small holes under the smaller rubber boot. are these the holes you're reffering to?

I've looked at the manual for the FFD, but it seems mine is an older gen max FFD 140.

mine doesn't have the split ring under the cap etc...

Prophet converted!
    Okay, I cleaned the air filter and cycled the bearings, but the shock still sounds like it has bubbles in the fluid. When the shock is rebounding is when it makes the sound. I also noticed that if I adjust the rebound knob, the fork will make the noise for a longer (or shorter) period of time.

If I change the oil, will this problem go away, or is this a more serious problem?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    07 Prophet 5

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by matangr
    what foam filter?mine doesn't have the split ring under the cap etc...
    Air filter boot it above the main boot.

No split rings means it's a 130, not a 140.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Prophet converted!
    Can anyone help me with this problem?
    07 Prophet 5

Quote Originally Posted by F3caffeine
    I also noticed that if I adjust the rebound knob, the fork will make the noise for a longer (or shorter) period of time.

If I change the oil, will this problem go away, or is this a more serious problem?
    That's because by rebounding faster, or slower, it has more time to make the noise....

If you do it properly, and get a nice complete bleed, likely it'll take care of the issue, yes.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member

thanks

thanks Mendon.

Can you tell me where to find a manual for it?

I can't find it on the C-Dale site or on Google...

Quote Originally Posted by matangr
    thanks Mendon.

Can you tell me where to find a manual for it?

I can't find it on the C-Dale site or on Google...
    They don't offer anything beyond the manual that comes with the bike.

They also don't make the service ones available to the public, cause Johhny I. Liketools would likely try to DIY and maim themselves, then sue Cannondale....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member

Too bad

Thanks Craig.

Too bad there's no info. services are expen$ive over here and I'd like to be able to perform basic things like oil changes etc.
    I handled a spring replacement and bearing reset fairly easily, so I'm not completely clueless, but I guess C-Dale can't take the risk of over DIY.

Guess I'll wait for a pic thread on oil change etc for a similar fork, or use that time to put in extra shifts for the cash to upgrade...

Thanks again.

Prophet converted!
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    That's because by rebounding faster, or slower, it has more time to make the noise....

If you do it properly, and get a nice complete bleed, likely it'll take care of the issue, yes.
    Thanks Mendon. The manual talks about changing the fluid, but I dont see anything about bleeding the system. What's the procedure for doing this? Or should I take it to the LBS and let them do it? I'd prefer to do it myself, but I dont know where to begin.
    07 Prophet 5

Quote Originally Posted by F3caffeine
    Thanks Mendon. The manual talks about changing the fluid, but I dont see anything about bleeding the system. What's the procedure for doing this? Or should I take it to the LBS and let them do it? I'd prefer to do it myself, but I dont know where to begin.
    The bleeding is just an integral part of the oil change.

There's multiple threads in the inclusive tech thread sticky at the top of the page.

They cover the whole process, you just need to extrapolate out the oil change process from all the other info

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com