mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Three quick Rush questions

Hi all

Can someone answer me the following about the Rush (2008):

1. Does it use an E-type front mech or a regular band on type?
    2. What's the difference between an Fox RP3 and and Fox RPL (apart from a lockout!)
    3. I've heard that regular Fox equipped Rushs are quite a bit taller at the front than Lefty equipped models? Does this effect climbing or handling adversely?

Thanks

mad aussie
    1. Rush uses top swing bottom pull band type front derailleur

2. RP23 has three settings of pro pedal which can be turned on or off. Number 3 isnt a lockout but its pretty firm, and at 140lb I can barely make it move. RPL has fixed pro pedal which can cant be turned off.

3. The Fox 120 equipped Rush has a slightly slacker head angle by 1 degree and a slightly higher bottom bracket. It is a little more front end light going up, requires more weight shift forwards to climb, but is more stable going down and the higher bottom bracket is actually nice in rocky pedalling sections. I actually really liked the Rush Carbon 3Z I tried as a trail bike.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks Kevin. That's going to be pretty slack then, it's already 69 degrees. Hmm...I was hoping that it would be really good climber. Maybe a slightly shorter fork is the answer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I rode a Rush 4 and a Rush 5z and they both felt the same to me. They were both just 20-min test rides, however. Still didn't notice any change in handling.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    That's great news. I'd heard that the Fox RL forks were some 30mm (1 & 1/8th inch) taller than the Lefty and thought that might have a significant bearing.

I read some reviews and they didn't seem to complain though, and still thought the bike flew uphill, so your experience seems to back this up. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    yeah no prob. If you want a really nice, plush front end, get the fox. I loved it. Too much maintenance for the lefty, and it really didn't feel very nice at all, even after the shop set it up for me. Personally, I'm getting an '08 4 and then immediately selling the lefty to get a F120 or maybe something else.

Huge Tracts of Land
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylax42
    yeah no prob. If you want a really nice, plush front end, get the fox. I loved it. Too much maintenance for the lefty, and it really didn't feel very nice at all, even after the shop set it up for me. Personally, I'm getting an '08 4 and then immediately selling the lefty to get a F120 or maybe something else.
    a lefty too much maintenance?

maybe once a year i take it to my LBS for a cheap service, once a month I may check the psi, never had an issue with any of them

Haven MTB Park
    1997 F2000
    2004 F4000 SL
    2007 Carbon Rush 1 Team

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtbrat
    a lefty too much maintenance?

maybe once a year i take it to my LBS for a cheap service, once a month I may check the psi, never had an issue with any of them

Yep, and... never rely on a shop to set a fork for you, how can they know how you like it? You may start from there but fine tuning suspensions is always better when it stays between you, your trails and your bike!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    i talked to the guys at two local cannondale dealers and they both said that when it came down to maintenance, the leftys tend to need alot more tlc, and the suggested planned maintenance for them is much more frequent than a regular fork. no doubt they work for alot of people, but there are definitely shortcomings.

mad aussie
    If you want a fox plush front end with Lefty stiffness then the Fox RLC Lefty is supposedly the answer, as the Carbon SL has a little platform built into the damper for bob control at the expense of total plushness. It only comes on the Carbon 1, and is crazy expensive aftermarket!
    Although I like my Carbon SL it is still more maintenance intensive, I usually have to reset the bearings (although it only takes 5 minutes) every 10-15 hours, and I usually relube the bearings once a month or after riding in bad conditions (which I try to avoid for the sake of the trails). I will take that for nearly a pound off the front end of the bike which is nice to have at the end of a 100 miles or a 24 hour race.
    If you want plushness and will trade off some front end weight and a little stiffness then the Fox 120 will fit the need nicely. It does change the character of the Rush that I rode to more all mountain/trail rather than marathon/XC which if it suits your riding style better then go for it.

Kevin

mtbr member
    I test-rode both forks on C-Dales. I really liked the Lefty (stiff, and plush), but I couldn't tell much difference in terms of overall front-end height. Both forks seemed like "the cat's meow" to me. I prefer the Fox only because I don't care to buy the attachment for my roof rack to carry the Lefty, AND because if my fork screws up, I can go to nearly any dealer to have it serviced; not just a C-Dale dealer for the Lefty (not a big deal, though). I don't think you could go wrong with either fork, as they both performed extremely well. Just my .02

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I just did my first ride on my new, upgraded 5z.. and all I can say is this is an amazing bike. Coming from a 23.5lb cannondale hardtail with 70mm up front, I didn't notice that my climbing suffered much at all. My rush is 25.5lbs and I could feel the extra 2lbs but its not enough to make a big difference.

Downhill and flat sections however, this bike is much faster and more stable than the hardtail.. just no comparison at all.

I haven't had a chance to ride a lefty offroad, but the f120 is a great fork. I think someone above said the fox is heavier, but its actually lighter than the entry level lefty. You could give it a little more sag if you think its too high in the front, but I don't.

mtbr member
    Nice ride mcoine. I need one of those, BAD!

mtbr member
    I see the wheels and cranks are upgraded. What kind of hubs you got there? Are the brakes upgraded too? Assuming I buy one (and I want to), I'll have to upgrade as stuff breaks/ wears out. I'm thinking the hubs will go first...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Took a test ride and the Fox forks/geometry seems absolutely fine. Seems you can't help riding fast on this bike, cool!

The only other thing that I found was the slack head angle really makes the bike stable. It will be interesting to see how it performs in tight switchbacks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by go-pirates
    I see the wheels and cranks are upgraded. What kind of hubs you got there? Are the brakes upgraded too? Assuming I buy one (and I want to), I'll have to upgrade as stuff breaks/ wears out. I'm thinking the hubs will go first...
    These are the specs..

Frame Rush SL, 110 mm
    Fork FOX, F120 RL
    Rear Shock FOX Float RP2
    Rims Dt Swiss x4.2 disc
    Hubs Hope Pro2
    Spokes DT Competition
    Tires Kenda blue groove
    Pedals Eggbeater Sl
    Crank Fsa Carbon Team Issue
    Chain Shimano 9-speed
    Rear Cogs xt 11-34
    Bottom Bracket FSA
    Front Derailleur Shimano LX
    Rear Derailleur Sram X-9
    Shifters Gripshift XO
    Handlebars Answer Protaper
    Stem Cannondale XC3 1 1/8", 31.8 mm
    Headset Cannondale Orbit Z 1.5"
    Brakeset Avid Ultimate
    Saddle Selle Italia Flite Trans Am
    Seat Post Cannondale C3 2014, Alloy
    Weight* 25.5 lbs

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I swapped my 110mm lefty DLR2 for a 130mm Max. This gives pretty much the same angles as with the fox 120 fork.

I much prefer it - the bike had too much of a forward weight bias for my liking withe the DLR2.
    I ride quite steep technical rocky terrain though. If you ride more fast rolling country, then the bike definitely climbs better with the shorter fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hi,

Please could someone tell me if all the Alloy Rush framed bikes use the same frame but with different shocks? Also the same question for the Carbon frame bikes, or are their different grades of alloy tubing etc?

If I buy a low spec Rush bike, can I upgrade it to the same spec as a high spec Rush bike quite easily?

thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    All the Alu Rush frames are the same (they are all Rush SL). Only the colours and shocks have changed between the models.

Landlocked Sailor
    Jan 2008

weight change

So I just bought a 2008 5z, and am already checking out the upgrades made to some Rush's on here (maybe too soon, I know). What would be the easiest/cheapest way to reduce some weight on the bike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by skiNavy
    So I just bought a 2008 5z, and am already checking out the upgrades made to some Rush's on here (maybe too soon, I know). What would be the easiest/cheapest way to reduce some weight on the bike?

Wheels, including cassette and tires. Mine dropped about 1.75lbs doing just that.