mtbr member
    Sep 2008

thoughts on my in process rize carbon 2 build/price

im pee-ing myself: what do you think of my upgrades/ their credits back to me--
    Cannondale Rize 2 Carbon - custom
    Make
    Model
    MSRP
    Price
    Frame
    Cannondale Rize 2
    $4,406.78
    Fork
    Lefty Max Carb RLC
    included
    Paint
    included
    Headset
    included
    included
    Wheels
    Industry Nine
    Stans Arch Rims/ I9 lefty QR
    $946.97
    Wheel Credit
    $(381.94)
    Tires
    Schwalbe
    Nobby – nic 2.25
    $-
    $125.81
    Tire Credit
    $(54.84)
    Components
    Group
    $-
    Rear Der SRAM
    x.9 mid cage
    $-
    Front Der Shimano
    LX
    $-
    Controls SRAM
    X.0 Grip[ Twist
    $-
    Crank 172.5 39/53
    XT – Shimano
    $-
    BB Incld
    $-
    Chain SRAM
    PC971
    $-
    $-
    Cassette SRAM 11-32
    PG990
    $-
    $-
    Calipers Magura
    Marta SL
    $515.38
    BRAKE CREDIT
    $(360.29)
    Bars
    FSA XC281
    $-
    Stem
    Cdale XC3
    $-
    Seat Post
    incld
    $-
    Aero Brk Levers None Needed
    $-
    Pedals
    Crank Bros
    Candy SL – Blu
    $92.31
    SADDLE
    WTB
    Rocket V SLT – BLK
    $145.16
    Saddle credit
    $(42.67)
    Build
    Cyclepath Pro Build
    $200.00
    Build Credit (frameset and components from Cyclepath)
    $(200.00)
    Subtotal
    $-
    $5,392.67
    Sales Tax
    $471.86
    TOTAL
    $5,864.52
    Tradein
    $-
    Deposit
    $-
    Balance
    $5,864.52

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm considering something similar and I'm jealous . I like my current custom set up on my Prophet, but just getting a rize frame and lefty isn't going to be too much less than a rize 2 carbon. I was just going to sell the parts myself.

Have you had any ride time with the avid elixirs?
    I think that what comes on the 2009s. I had a set of Magura Marta's but sold them. They couldn't stand the heat I was giving them (with 200/180 set up). I went with a set of Formula K18 (180/180 setup)which manage the heat better and the pads (sintered) last way longer. I have been on a set of Avid juicy 7s on the Rize 3 and was happy with them. I have heard the elixirs are better.

Pedals and saddle are a personal choice IMHO. I like Time ATACS and Spec Format SL 130.

Tire choice
    I will be trying a Nobby Nic next as soon as my GEAX Barro mountain 2.3 goes down. Those Rendez things are not too good.

Toss the bars too.
    A nice Easton monkey lite XC would be lighter and easier on the arms. I could not believe the difference between that bar and my monkey lite when I switched. Cost me $110, save me 100 gr and felt way better riding.

Are those I9/ Stans Arch Rims ust?
    I know the Mavic crosstrails are. I think I remember something about I9 coming up with their own branded rim that is UST. You are also going to wait for those I9 wheels, but they are "purdy"

Doesnt the Rize 2 come with an SRAM x.0 rear derailer? Not the x.9 in the OP

I like twisties too, x.0 are a good choice.

Anyway, again, I'm jealous of you getting your new toy. I'm still saving my pennies for my set up.
    Last edited by ziscwg; 03-12-2009 at 09:47 AM.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

LA CHÈVRE
    Sounds great but... you should make your post more readable, too many details we don't need and too many lines that make it harder to digest, just list it in a more simple way, one line per component like:

Frame: Cannondale Rize 2
    Fork: Lefty Max Caron RLC
    Headset: Cannondale SI

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

rize carbon 2 update

GOOD POINT! THAT WAS TOTALLY UNREADABLE--SO HERES A BETTER FORMAT:
    great obs already: I definately want to replace the seat post/handlebar but am totally at critical mass/gf about to dump me price-wise so ill do it ina few months---ALSO i love time atac carbons so why arent i getting them???? ill call and change it (have never used the candy sl's) also I should be sure they know I want the brakes to be 180/160--its tru the bike comes with x-0 rear der: but i wanted mid-cage, 11-32 pg990 cassette, and x-0 twisters so we just made that deal-- I think the x-9 should be fine--do you think the credit backs/final price cool?? thanx

base bike: Cannondale Rize 2 ==$4,406.78
    Fork: Lefty Max Carb RLC
    Wheels: Industry Nine Stans Arch Rims/ I9 lefty QR==$946.97
    Wheel Credit
    $(381.94)

Tires: Schwalbe Nobby – nic 2.25==$125.81
    Tire Credit
    $(54.84)

Rear Der: SRAM x.9 mid cage

Front Der Shimano LX

Controls: SRAM X.0 Grip Twist

Crank 175 39/53 XT – Shimano

Chain SRAM PC971

Cassette SRAM 11-32: PG990

Calipers: Magura Marta SL: $515.38
    BRAKE CREDIT
    $(360.29)

Bars FSA XC281

Stem Cdale XC3

Seat Post incld

Pedals: Crank Bros Candy SL – Blu $92.31

SADDLE WTB Rocket V SLT – BLK $145.16
    Saddle credit
    $(42.67)

Build
    Cyclepath Pro Build
    $200.00
    Build Credit (frameset and components from Cyclepath)
    $(200.00)
    Subtotal
    $-
    $5,392.67
    Sales Tax
    $471.86
    TOTAL
    $5,864.52
    Tradein
    $-
    Deposit
    $-
    Balance
    $5,864.52

LA CHÈVRE
    Haaaa, looks like a great build, I'm just not sure about the crankset gearing... 39/53? Is that a Dura-Ace road crankset you're going to use instead of a XT?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I tried the CB Candies and was not happy with them. I couldnt get out fast enough. That is never an issue with the ATACs. The Carbon/Ti spindle ATACs are even lighter by 70 gr or so, but cost you $200 more

Also, there is plenty of time to upgrade. So, keep the GF happy, it's better in the long run.

LA CHÈVRE
    I didn't like the Candies either, I think a platform is pretty useless on clipless pedals with sufficiently stiff soled shoes, no platform means easier clip-ins and outs, less chance of mud and snow getting in the way... I love Eggbeaters.

I also prefer Shimano chains and cassettes personally, chains seem to be stronger and last longer and cassettes have better weight/price ratios...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ya ha--39/53?? it also originally said 172.5mm, which i didnt want (175) but he said its a typo--so the 39/53 probably also--i liked my da/xtr chain on my kona, ill prob use this one up n switch

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Hi adiokyo,

i don´t get it, why .x9midcage instead of .x0 normalsize??
    What type of rider are you? For me it looks like a nice setup, but a little bit "motley" (you understand me?).

Greetings Max

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    im starting to get a complex about my x-9 rear!!!! I like x-0 better but i wanted to hassle them about switching out triggers for twisters, trading to a nicer cassette 990 that is 11-32 rather than 11-34 WITH the med cage for theoretically quicker/crispier shifts ala my 10,000 hours of thread hunting on mtbr--if i dont like it, ill switch it n ill letcha know after riding if im on to something--just came off 2008 xt 11-34 w/dual control--

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by adiokyro
    im starting to get a complex about my x-9 rear!!!! I like x-0 better but i wanted to hassle them about switching out triggers for twisters, trading to a nicer cassette 990 that is 11-32 rather than 11-34 WITH the med cage for theoretically quicker/crispier shifts ala my 10,000 hours of thread hunting on mtbr--if i dont like it, ill switch it n ill letcha know after riding if im on to something--just came off 2008 xt 11-34 w/dual control--
    IMHO go for the x.0 rear derailer, cost $200. (buying it after the intial bike purch)
    Cost of an x.9, $80.
    x.0 grippies are about $80.

So take the triggers, get the grippies and put them on yourself. Sell the triggers for $50 or so. Net 30 cost to you plus your time. You have a lighter x.0 rear drive train.

About that 11-32 990............It's going to wear out anyway, you could replace it then. Are you OK with an 11-32? The gears do have a tighter ratio that can throw you off climbing on your fav trails. I like Shim m770 XT 11-32 with an SRAM 991 cross step chain. I just seems to work best for me with a long cage RD. (when I feel I have money to burn, I will go for the shimano xtr m970 11-32.)

Anyway, it is your bike and you get it the way you want it. We're just some guys on the internet giving our opinion. You have to ride the thing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    checked on this whole debaucle and he said that he did, in fact order me an x-0--ill see how it goes with the 11-32/twisties/mid-cage and post my thoughts--and pics wen i pick it up

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I like Rendez tires for NorCal condiitions run them at 30PSI goddamn as they are horrible at 40PSI!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac
    I like Rendez tires for NorCal condiitions run them at 30PSI goddamn as they are horrible at 40PSI!!
    When would you run something tubeless at 40 psi???????????

Well, I can think of one reason, if you climb on the road to get to the dirt. Then, running 40 until you hit dirt could be helpful.

By the way, I'm still jealous of the orig poster. If you need someone to give you an honest ride evaluation of your build, I will gladly do a 6 month eval for free. I'll even pay return shipping.....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Mine aren't tubeless, but there are a lot of people who just pump their tires up hard and wonder why they have no grip