mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Thoughts on Cannondale Trail SL 29er 4

http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng...rail-SL-29er-4

i just tested one and I liked it. It was on sale for $879. It looks like MSRP looks to be $1059. So I don't know if the store miss marked it or what but it seems to be a good deal.

How does this compare to other 29er bikes in this $900 price range as far as bang for the buck?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Other than the brakes being a little weak, that is a great price & a lot of bike for the money. Snag it up & enjoy!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm looking at the 29er 4 as well, just online for now, I was noticing the price online is 799.00 - is the one your looking at different that 2011 online? Just wondering because I may need to drop down to the 3 simply for budget reasons.
    Love my Elsworth Joker and Burton snowboards!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Logi
    I'm looking at the 29er 4 as well, just online for now, I was noticing the price online is 799.00 - is the one your looking at different that 2011 online? Just wondering because I may need to drop down to the 3 simply for budget reasons.

The 2010 and 2011 look the same to me. I don't know if the components are the same. I know the MSRP on the 2010 is a bit lower. The sales guy at REI said it was a 2011 but I don't know why they would have it labeled clearance.

I tested the following 29ers:
    Specialized Hardrock disc
    Raleigh Talus 29er
    Cannondale 29er 4
    Specialized Rockhopper 29er
    Trek Gary Fisher Cobia 29er
    Felt Nine Trail 29er

As far as overall feel and geometry, the Felt Nine Trail and the Cannondale felt the best. The Felt rode like the Cannondale for me but the Cannondale has better components. I ended up going with the Felt because I was able to buy it for $560. The Cannondale was a bit out of my budget.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

What about the components?

I'm looking at this as well.

I do love Cannondales, but this has the Alivio components and the RST Deuce Forks.

Is it worth the extra $200 to get the Fisher Cobia which has SRAM and RockShox?