Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

For those that were curious about the '08 F7

Most of the threads that I've seen on the F7 are that no one knows that much about them. In my limited way I figured I would share mine (I'm a bit of a novice biker, as I just started back up after 20 years and this was a good bike for my wallet)

Frame -CO2 Alloy
    Fork -RST Gila Pro T8, 100 mm
    Headset -Slim Stack A-Head
    Hubs -Formula OV31/32
    Spokes -Stainless Steel
    Tires -CST Caballero, 26 x 2.1
    Crankset -Shimano FC-M311
    Bottom Bracket -FSA TH-7420ST
    Chain -KMC 8-speed
    Front Derailleur -Shimano FD-M311
    Rear Derailleur -Shimano Alivio
    Shifters -Shimano ST-EF50
    Handlebars -ZOOM, 20 mm rise
    Stem -Cannondale XC3
    Brake Levers -Shimano ST-EF50
    Brakes -Tektro 836 V-Brake
    Pedals -Wellgo alloy platform
    Saddle -Cannondale XC
    Seat Post -Kalloy SP-359

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    It looks ok to me, can you post a larger pic of the complete bike please?
    Thx

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    How's this?

mtbr member
    Nice ride, man. Diggin' those colors and the "f7" decal.

Looks like the welding is a little different on these. And a regular 1 1/8 headtube. Makes sense.

Now you just need to get it dirty!

LA CHÈVRE
    Very nice color! Enjoy it!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyPete
    Nice ride, man. Diggin' those colors and the "f7" decal.

Looks like the welding is a little different on these. And a regular 1 1/8 headtube. Makes sense.

Now you just need to get it dirty!
    Gotten dirty already... Unfortunately now I've had 2 ingrown nails removed on weds and my feet are too tender for my shoes...hhe, gonna try sunday.. Overall I'm pretty happy with it. I did get the xtra large frame though. The large wasn't quite big enough for me (6'1 with 34" inseam)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Very nice color! Enjoy it!

Thanx

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    It looks better than the regular Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc. as I expected. The 1 1/8 headtube makes sense as SP said but too bad this frames doesn't accept a Fatty or Lefty, is this the begining of the end?

mtbr member
    Look, Cannondale decals .
    Last edited by az1jeff; 07-30-2007 at 09:13 PM.

Like catnip for people
    Quote Originally Posted by jiar577
    is this the begining of the end?
    Yes... it is.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Well, you can get a 1-1/8th adapter to handle a lefty. Don't know how well it works though

7hz
    Old newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by az1jeff
    Look, Cannondale decals .
    Hey, that's unfair!

It has Cannondale grips as well!

mtbr member

I tried to tell everyone- deaf eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyPete
    Coming from a shop that sells these and have had them in stock for a while... Somewhere in that 'other' thread is a description, alas everyone was more concerned about China's Socio/politcal status. Despite the fact that there's a nice black and white sticker on the bottom of the frames saying 'Made in Taiwan'.

Anyway, they're coming out in a range of really nice finishes- might take a few pics and post them for you all.

NB: the F6 is the bike with the larger HT to accept Lefties (although spec'd with a RS Dart 3).

But good buy- you're getting a nice light frame that you can build up on

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hey, for me it's a good bike for a novice. It's comfortable, drivetrain is smooth, and I can always get an adapter if I really wanna ride lefty (though I would go to a full suspension frame 1st)...

Cannondale Snob
    Nice TJ
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    just got mine yesterday!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The only thing I changed on mine was the pedals to a set of shimano clipless.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Looks like more of a legit bike than most low end offerings from the other guys. It doesnt have a short, high rise stem and fugly looks of some other cheapies.

Funny how its spec'd with the same seat/grips/tires as my Rush 4, which runs about 6x as much as the F7...they really skimped on those parts for the Rush.

mtbr member

Not saving that much.

2007 Cannondale F5 disc - $579 Made in the USA.
    2008 Cannondale F7 disc - $500 Made overseas.
    2008 Cannondale F7 rim brakes - $400 Made overseas.

A $79 dollar savings for a bike spec'd closely, that is manufactured in the USA vs. one that is manufactured in China/Taiwan. Spend the extra $79(disc)/$179(rim). No preaching, it’s simple math. $80 bucks and you can support America.

jeff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

A $79 dollar savings for a bike spec'd closely, that is manufactured in the USA vs. one that is manufactured in China/Taiwan. Spend the extra $79(disc)/$179(rim). No preaching, it’s simple math. $80 bucks and you can support America.

jeff.
    Guess you didn't notice the rest of the asian stuff attached to the f5/f6/f7/caffiene, every other bike made. To be honest, I would support American made products more if America still took pride in their products. Between major us manufacturers looking to cut corners and the unions raping the corps forcing them to cut even more corners in order to just keep up..well.. my opinion anyway. (And I live in the steel town of pittsburgh where unions put most of the steel mills outta business. )

mtbr member

focus

Quote Originally Posted by rlith
    Guess you didn't notice the rest of the asian stuff attached to the f5/f6/f7/caffiene, )
    You guessed wrong. This thread pertains to Cannondale, the bicycle frame manufacture and where they are made. Cannondale. Not it’s components. Get it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Only the frame???

Then why is Cannondale so keen on promoting its concept of System Integration; the total is more then the sum of its parts?

mtbr member

What's your point?

Quote Originally Posted by Jowan
    Then why is Cannondale so keen on promoting its concept of System Integration; the total is more then the sum of its parts?
    Your point isn't clear. .

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004

jeff.
    f4 thru f7 are all asian manufactured. The f4 gets bedford assembly because it is Headshok.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad ronald
    f4 thru f7 are all asian manufactured. The f4 gets bedford assembly because it is Headshok.
    No, you're wrong. Here's the '07 F5, made in USA, no headshok:

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    I didn't see you were comparing the '08 range against an '07. Either way, there are more reasons than the transparent ones as to why making low end models off shore made sense. Not to mention you are still supporting Americans. The bedford plant benefits from being able to make higher end bikes without the distraction of making lower end bikes. From what I know there has been no RIF and I am sure selling more bikes to more people will only offer more opportunities for the people at the plant and HQ.

mtbr member
    That's what's available right now and what the consumer can choose from. I'm saying for less than $200, and in some cases less than $100, they can get the one from the USA.

From what I know there has been no RIF and I am sure selling more bikes to more people will only offer more opportunities for the people at the plant and HQ.
    Corporations have been using this excuse for decades, right before they close it down. Now I’m not a Cannondale employee that works directly in manufacturing, but it’s a safe bet that Cannondale off shoring bikes doesn't sit well in the ‘ol job security department if you know what I mean. Would you??

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

I preordered this before it came out. Literally the first person in Oklahoma to have the bike... Here's my reviews...

The bike was shipped with bent handle bars, i was not happy.
    The shocks are nice, the frame and seat are nice, the tires and rims are great as well. The disc brakes are excellent, however the components I feel are lacking. I've yet to even take it mildly off road, and the shifter already has been replaced. Shifting gears for me was about a 70 percent chance that the chain would come off either on the large chainring or the small, no difference.

For dropping 550 bucks i would expect more from Cannondale. I feel like i paid more for the name than for the quaility of the bike.

I'll update my review, as understandably, mine could've had malfunctions with parts or in shipping.

mtbr member
    so what are the tawain bikes made of? just says CAAD. are they caffeines? and has anybody ridden these hard yet? also, these bikes ARE aimed at the lower end scale to compete with the treks and specialized made over seas. most of the shops around me have stopped carrying cannondale for that reason, they dont sell. its hard to have a bike shop and make money, alone just selling bikes. walmarts have really hurt lower end bike sales. i bet most people would go spend 300 bucks on a walmart schwinn over taking the time and going to a LBS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Well, this bike is meant to compete on a price vs quality level with other entry level bikes.

According to the techs over at Cannondale whom I've talked to a few times. The actual frame material is the same as the american models. 6061 aluminum alloy. The same formula is used on both the american and the asian made ones. The asian ones are manufactured at their plant to the AMERICAN specifications. The only difference is the cost of the materials.

They do use a less expensive cassette, shifter/brake setup and fork than the f6 but overall its still pound for pound the same quality.

Personally I've been beating the hell out of this bike, including a few good 5 and 6 ft straight down ledge drops on some of the back trails I've been doing. No problems yet. Shifting is smooth (surprising with the alivio apparently) and overall I've been pretty happy with it. Frame sizing is still good with their womens, small, medium, large and xtra large frames (I have the XL)

The frame also has a lifetime warranty on it, so baring getting impaled on a crossmember, I don't have any probs is I crack the frame in a few years. I'll get a new one, and then upgrade the frame/fork. Again, it's a good bike. Much better for the money (380.00) than other bikes in that range (trek, specialized) and offers a superior product at less price and weight. JMO anyway.

mtbr member
    The asian ones are manufactured at their plant to the AMERICAN specifications. The only difference is the cost of the materials.

. . . and the fact that the job of building the frame is now in the hands of the Chinese vs.an American.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    . . . and the fact that the job of building the frame is now in the hands of the Chinese vs.an American.
    So what? Just because someone is foreign doesn't mean they can't do as well as Americans. In fact that is why so much electronics manufacturing is done overseas. America can't compete because of the unions. I believe in a fair wage for the worker as much as the next guy, the problem that most unions in America have, is that most unions are nothing but legal extortionists.

Cut down to a FAIR wage not an exorbitant one and ill defend the union man to his death. Feel free to buy American, but unfortunately you will suffer the quality because the manufacturer had to pay the unions ridiculous concessions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    what? i just bought my fiance a F7, i thought they were made in the U.S thats why i got her a cannodale, that kinda peevs me off. Looks like i should have got another jamis

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    wow i just checked and sure enough it says made in taiwan. i just bought the bike for her today i wonder if they would take it bake. I would rather buy somthing made in america

mtbr member
    So what? Just because someone is foreign doesn't mean they can't do as well as Americans. In fact that is why so much electronics manufacturing is done overseas. .
    So what?? Anybody that doesn't see the problem of a job that was done here (USA), and argues in favor of the foreign competition, is either A. not an American, or B. a vested interest in outsourcing.

I do not agree that the frames manufactured here vs. there are the same in consistent quality. I worked for a huge fortune 500 manufacture. I saw first hand the difference in quality. I know what the working conditions are there vs. here. It’s night and day. And those differences WILL translate to poor quality. That’s my opinion, and it’s mine. Throw rocks at me all you want, but there’s a reason all wal-mart’s bikes are made in Taiwan and China. They’re cheaply made, in every sense of the word cheap.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jamis63tb
    wow i just checked and sure enough it says made in taiwan. i just bought the bike for her today i wonder if they would take it bake. I would rather buy somthing made in america
    Actually I think the F6 was made in Taiwan as well. Besides, it's a well made bike. Just because it was made in Taiwan shouldn't matter. Are you gonna return all your equipment (Shimano stuff) because it was made there?

mtbr member
    Actually I think the F6 was made in Taiwan as well. Besides, it's a well made bike. Just because it was made in Taiwan shouldn't matter. Are you gonna return all your equipment (Shimano stuff) because it was made there?

Yep, made in Taiwan. What may shock you more, Malaysia is where all the Shimano love happens (bar some DA and XTR parts). Could people please learn that Taiwan is not China (although your government would like you to believe that it is- so they can keep their trade deal).

I can vouch for the claim that quality control is not as high. Each F6 I build, I have to pull apart the Headset because there are metal shavings all inside (this is common amongst cheap bikes, they save money in assembly). However, the frames made in Taiwan are not all the same. That would be like saying 'all *insert country here* made cars are great'. Different factories/production lines means differing quality. The Scott and Avanti bikes that I build above the $1500 AUD price need very little work in assembly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgilpin
    ... Shifting gears for me was about a 70 percent chance that the chain would come off either on the large chainring or the small, no difference...
    My son's new F6 was doing the same thing on our first ride. Stopped by the shop afterwards, they tweaked something on the front derailleur and it's fine now.

There was also quite a bit of chain slap.. I though maybe the chain needed a few links removed, but the acid test of putting the chain on largest gears said otherwise.
    Put a lizard skin on, nice and quiet now. (not really sure, but I'm thinkin maybe the lower end deraileurs don't "pull back" as hard, so more chain slap on the lower end ones?)

Just to confirm what the others have indicated, his F6 has a Made in Taiwan sticker on it.
    I think it's kinda funny that they slap extra Cannondale decals on it - it's really over kill. Like the the thing has complex and thinks it has to convince the world it's a "real" Cannondale. (sure rides like it is!)
    '15 Cannondale Trigger 27.5 Carbon 2
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It matters to me if i can by somthing american made i will not buy it just because its american made but also because all those things made in taiwan, china etc have to be shipped here and that just adds to are co2 emmisions, we need to do anything possible even it seems that little to help our planet

mtbr member
    It matters to me if i can by somthing american made i will not buy it just because its american made but also because all those things made in taiwan, china etc have to be shipped here and that just adds to are co2 emmisions, we need to do anything possible even it seems that little to help our planet
    I know you said it matters to you to buy American. And I agree with you about the added pollution of all that shipping of imports. But why is the unproven theory of “global warming” the priority in how you use your buying power? Why not let something real, like using that buying power to support your own country be your priority before you save the whole planet? Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Where do you think your Jamis is made?

Also, I don't understand the idea that the Taiwan-made Cannondales are somehow taking something away from American workers. This is not a case of existing production moving overseas. This is Cannondale simply broadening their market. Now instead of people buying a $400 Trek, Giant, or Jamis, they can buy a $400 Cannondale. Then when those buyers decide to move up to a higher end bike, they will already have some brand loyalty to Cannondale.

LA CHÈVRE
    I know you said it matters to you to buy American. And I agree with you about the added pollution of all that shipping of imports. But why is the unproven theory of “global warming” the priority in how you use your buying power? Why not let something real, like using that buying power to support your own country be your priority before you save the whole planet? Just a thought.
    I hope you're kidding...

You're kidding right?

mtbr member
    What's on you're mind?

LA CHÈVRE
    Supporting your local economy is a good thing but... You seem to imply the whole planet is not important, that we should prioritize the US banks over the health of the planet... Global warming is very real, you may not feel it where you live but I do. It can be felt in almost every part of the world. This is a fact, except for the US it seems. Remember what happened in New Orleans? Have you seen the snow storms where there shouldn't be all over the south of the US last winter? People in Holland can't go skate on canals anymore because they stopped freezing in the last few years, the ski industry is seriously feeling the global warming... The planet is &?$#ed up. This is not a conspiracy thing... Selfish attitudes like that are what makes the US so hated from the rest of the world, they think they are better than everyone, they don't care about the others unless they can get more money and power from them...

Supporting the planet is by far a more important reason for not buying Asian made product. That's especially true when, like it was said, Cannondale didn't kicked half their employees to go to Asia. Their staff, making quality bikes in the US are still doing it today. Lower ends bike were added and the only way to do so at competitive prices was to go to Asia. You know what? That will bring more money into America anyway.

Saving the planet is a top priority and it should be to everyone because you know what? The US, last time I checked, were on the same planet as the rest so screw the planet and you are screwed too. Saving the whole planet will also save the US.

I'm not saying you shouldn't support your local economy, I just think you are taking the environment issue way too lightly and that you shouldn't say to someone who tries to help save the planet that it's not a good reason to buy US made products.

That's what's on my mind. People don't realise the state our planet's in...

mtbr member
    why is this topic always a novel? the company is American still. its there choice, its not just for fun. its do it or die i bet... and its just the frame. its not like its a car or anything.

mtbr member
    and for global warming, if anybody got a problem its china who is still using steam engines and cutting down rain forests. and putting lead in toys..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Supporting your local economy is a good thing but... You seem to imply the whole planet is not important, that we should prioritize the US banks over the health of the planet... Global warming is very real, you may not feel it where you live but I do. It can be felt in almost every part of the world. This is a fact, except for the US it seems. Remember what happened in New Orleans? Have you seen the snow storms where there shouldn't be all over the south of the US last winter? People in Holland can't go skate on canals anymore because they stopped freezing in the last few years, the ski industry is seriously feeling the global warming... The planet is &?$#ed up. This is not a conspiracy thing... Selfish attitudes like that are what makes the US so hated from the rest of the world, they think they are better than everyone, they don't care about the others unless they can get more money and power from them...

Supporting the planet is by far a more important reason for not buying Asian made product. That's especially true when, like it was said, Cannondale didn't kicked half their employees to go to Asia. Their staff, making quality bikes in the US are still doing it today. Lower ends bike were added and the only way to do so at competitive prices was to go to Asia. You know what? That will bring more money into America anyway.

Saving the planet is a top priority and it should be to everyone because you know what? The US, last time I checked, were on the same planet as the rest so screw the planet and you are screwed too. Saving the whole planet will also save the US.

I'm not saying you shouldn't support your local economy, I just think you are taking the environment issue way too lightly and that you shouldn't say to someone who tries to help save the planet that it's not a good reason to buy US made products.

That's what's on my mind. People don't realise the state our planet's in...

Use all the googling might you want. But the fact is, “global warming” is unproven. There is no scientific and unanimous consensus whether it is natural climate fluctuation(s) or human caused.

The USA is real. It’s my country and your country. THAT a person can support for real. Stating the obvious, the USA has some of the most stringent environmental policies imposed on its industries on the planet. Why do you think these greedy multi-nationals and fortune 500’s head overseas?? To save costs and skirt the environmental laws here. It’s common knowledge the industrial environmental standards over there are slim to none. So by keeping the products here, and by buying that American made Cannondale, keeps the manufacturing HERE where the impact to the environment is less significant because of the higher environmental manufacturing standards here.

I never said the planet is not important. I am saying the world is still not a nice place. The USA still must look out for the USA first. Does that 911 thing ring a bell? Save the planet you say? Do you think Islamic extremists are all that concerned for global warming?? Hell no, their counting on us diverting our focus on “global warming” and exploiting that as a weakness. Not to mention the Chinese counting on us spending billions on this nonsense. Do you see China involved in Kyoto??

I’m not criticising anybody who wants to do their part for the environment, but that’s their choice. Doesn’t make them more enlightened, just more controlled. Why? It is a politically motivated, power-grabbing ploy to get votes that prey on the liberal guilt ridden

Yes. USA first. Not selfish, that’s reality in today’s still very hostile world.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    wow man ur a genius who cares about the planent. I cant save the whole world but we all can but it because of **^^%%$ idiots like u that we are still at were we are we all have to make an effort no matter how small. i ride my bike to school even though i only leave 1 mile away it still helps cut down on co 2 emmisions. Oh and in case ur wondering i would choose to save the whole planet over are country because without the planet quess what!!!! i am not gonna argue with u about global warming, but if u tell me pollution and every thing else that we do to this planet is nt real i feel really sorry for u and when did i say that global warming was my priority in how i use my buying power?WAKE UP look at what were doing to this planet. U make me sick

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Use all the googling might you want. But the fact is, “global warming” is unproven. There is no scientific and unanimous consensus whether it is natural climate fluctuation(s) or human caused.

The USA is real. It’s my country and your country. THAT a person can support for real. Stating the obvious, the USA has some of the most stringent environmental policies imposed on its industries on the planet. Why do you think these greedy multi-nationals and fortune 500’s head overseas?? To save costs and skirt the environmental laws here. It’s common knowledge the industrial environmental standards over there are slim to none. So by keeping the products here, and by buying that American made Cannondale, keeps the manufacturing HERE where the impact to the environment is less significant because of the higher environmental manufacturing standards here.

I never said the planet is not important. I am saying the world is still not a nice place. The USA still must look out for the USA first. Does that 911 thing ring a bell? Save the planet you say? Do you think Islamic extremists are all that concerned for global warming?? Hell no, their counting on us diverting our focus on “global warming” and exploiting that as a weakness. Not to mention the Chinese counting on us spending billions on this nonsense. Do you see China involved in Kyoto??

I’m not criticising anybody who wants to do their part for the environment, but that’s their choice. Doesn’t make them more enlightened, just more controlled. Why? It is a politically motivated, power-grabbing ploy to get votes that prey on the liberal guilt ridden

Yes. USA first. Not selfish, that’s reality in today’s still very hostile world.
    LOLLOLOLOLOLOL WWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW
    people like you honestly man are pathetic

mtbr member
    ... every thing else that we do to this planet is nt real i feel really sorry for u and when did i say that global warming was my priority in how i use my buying power?WAKE UP look at what were doing to this planet. U make me sick
    Maybe you could help save the world's culture by remembering how to spell correctly?

Or possibly, if you actually are honest with yourself- walk to school with bare feet. Riding causes wear on your drivetrain, tyres, cables, grips, gloves etc. Hence you need to replace/maintain these with petroleum and ore derived products (rubber, teflon or all the energy to transport/warehouse these goods to you etc.). Hmm, when you think about it... maybe if you just ate mashed potatoes it would all be better?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast