mtbr member
    Dec 2004

For those Prophet owners that switched from air shocks to coil shocks, need feedback

I'm currently on a medium Prophet and looking to get a large (either stay with a Prophet or go with something else). My biggest beef is the small bump compliance. I currently have a DHX Air on there and I still find the small bump sensitivity is bad.

For those that have switched, how much has this improved going to a coil shock? I'm thinking I'd be going to a DHX coil.
    -2000 Giant DH Team
    -2003 Balfa BB7
    -2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *DH riding hiatus*
    -2011 Intense M9

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I switched from fox rp23 to dhx 5 coil and the change was day to night regarding small bump.
    Now when i drop the rear it doesnt jump, stays on the ground.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I don't think DHX air have a great reputation, so might not be the best starting point..
    I looked at coil shock but don't have the skill or terrain to justify it, so got a PUSHed RP23 and am happy with it (from a Manitou 3way air shock).
    Just be aware you may need to mod the suspension mounting tab to use the FR setting with a coil shock. As coil shock tend to have a bigger 'collar' & don't fit between the tabs well. Though I've read stuff that suggest you may only need to file a small bit off, not the complete XC tab fitting, as I've seen done on here previously (don't ask me to locate this..)

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    to put it bluntly the dhx air is crap imho. Too have small bump compliance you loose mid stroke dampening or the other way around - though honestly the mid stroke is never great anyway. Your best upgrade would be just to swap it to something custom tuned for your riding conditions and needs. If you want to go down the coil route it will need to be custom tuned - aka pushed - for it to fit the leverage rate of the prophet. The leverage ratio of a prophet is the mirror opposite of a typical coil leverage ratio, so some mods will be needed. Buy a used fox van r and upgrade it with push' mx tune. That will prob result in one hel l of a nice set up. A custom tuned rp23 would prob be sweet too.

i ran a both swinger 3 and 4 ways, both air, on my prophet, a rp3 with the wrong internal settings (didn't work very well) and a manitou evolver isx1 which worked brilliantly (intrinsic version - not spv which sucks in all sorts of ways). The swingers are really quite decent shocks, but spv is just the worst idea since sliced forearms.

happy trails

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    What about an ELKA coil shock?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have a pushed RP23 which is good but I am looking to change to a coil. I'm currently trying to decide which is the best to go with. Has anyone experience of a prophet with a:

1) Van r pushed /not pushed
    2) Van rc pushed /not pushed
    3) CCDB

A pushed Van rc is only 140 less than a CCDB so feel spending the extra cash could be worth it.