mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Thomson Elite X4 Stem for Lefty?

Anyone know when the Thomson Elite X4 Stem that works with Lefty's will be available?

Thanx

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Its seems like they only build 1 1/2 stem for bmx or AM/DH,

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Its seems like they only build 1 1/2 stem for bmx or AM/DH,
    I know...bummer.

Earlier this year the Thomson website mentioned releasing stems that fit the Headshock and Lefty later 2011. Just checked the site earlier today to see if it's out, and can't find any mention of the release. Wondering if anyone has any knowledge of what's happening with it.

mtbr member
    There is this route from Project 321: PROJECT 321 | Products: 1.125" Cannondale Steerer Tube

I've been considering getting one...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks! Very interesting.

Need some feedback from someone who's tried it though before I go that route.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104 View Post
    PROJECT 321 | Products: 1.125" Cannondale Steerer Tube
    But do you really think it's a great idea to sacrifice stiffness and probably adding weight by using a 1.125" steerer and a reducer headset? The Thomson stem is very nice, but this doesn't make much sense to me.

LA CHÈVRE
    I agree with Midgetman.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm waiting for a reply from Thomson re: Elite X4 Stem release compatible with Lefty 1 9/16″ steerer tubes. When & if they reply I'll keep all informed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Midgetman View Post
    But do you really think it's a great idea to sacrifice stiffness and probably adding weight by using a 1.125" steerer and a reducer headset? The Thomson stem is very nice, but this doesn't make much sense to me.
    I don't know. That's are reasons why I haven't purchased one yet. Would the flex really be all that noticeable? I would think not, but I really have no clue. I've only ever owned Cdales with Lefty's and my Prophet MX with a tapered Fox 36. Also, a reducer headset is not necessary with the 1.125" steerer. If you look at the pics the bike still has the Si Lefty headset. The main reason I was looking into this steerer is because I want my bars to sit up higher and to use a shorter stem than a 90mm. That and not wanting to use a goofy looking 20 degree rise stem or riser handlebars. My other option is to go to the new OPI stem since it has the ability to use spacers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I use a lefty with the project321 adapter and a thomson x4 stem. I do not have a cannondale(nor do i want one) so i cannot use the standard lefty stem. It works really well and the front end is stiffer than the tapered reba xx it replaced. Could be from the hub or the lefty, who knows. most of the stiffness of a tapered setup comes from the added frame stiffness because of the larger top and down tubes. The project321 works really well with no creaking or other issues. I think its also a lot easier to setup than the lefty stem. Added bonus, you can use a proper headset with nice bearings.

mtbr member
    It's hard to predict what impact the reduced stiffness will have on the bike's handling. Probably it's not dramatic since the Lefty still is an extremely stiff fork, but it nevertheless doesn't make much sense from a technical point of view. Even if you don't have to buy a new headset the black rings around the 321 steerer are nothing but spacers that in combination with the SI headset form a reducer. Never use an adaptor if you can avoid it.

Aren't there any other Lefty compatible stems around? What comes to my mind is the Syntace VRO stem: Syntace

I (6'6'') used one with my old CAAD4 hardtail and currently run one in my FS. Imo it's a rather clever solution, it's just not super light. Minimum length is 85mm, but if you run a 12° backsweep bar (which is great for your wrists; Syntace Vector VRO), you should find the comfy position you are looking for.

Edit: I don't think the OPI stem is available in 80mm