mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Thinking of buying a used Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 1

It is a 2011 and the seller is very open and honest with what has been done. It has had the frame replaced and this is a new frame with less than 100 miles on it. I found it out of state so I already talked to them about getting the bike shop to look it over before buying it. Is there anything else I can do to protect myself from getting screwed not being able to see the bike first? The seller wanted to contact me by phone to explain everything to me and it seems legit, I just want to make sure I look at everything. How is Cannondale with frame warranties if I have a problem later down the road after buying it? Anything else I need to be careful of?

mtbr member
    If you aren't the original owner you won't get any sort of warranty.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    That is what I figured. Does anyone know the cost of a new frame from Cannondale? I did a quick search but did not see it yet.

Also if I bought a new frame from Cannondale would I then be considered the original owner and have a warranty on that frame? I may end up calling Cannondale later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    With a good LBS behind you, you will probably be able to get a "crash replacement" frame at a lower cost than retail cost, so you should factor that into the price. If you are comfortable with that scenario, I would probably do it after a thorough, successful inspection of the frame.

If the frame breaks after that and you end up ponying up the $1500-1800 or so you would have to fork out for the crash replacement frame, you would then be covered by the lifetime warranty at least. (That dollar figure above is a WAG by the way, but it seems to be what I recall seeing someone paying online somewhere, perhaps even here on MTBR).
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    With a good LBS behind you, you will probably be able to get a "crash replacement" frame at a lower cost than retail cost, so you should factor that into the price. If you are comfortable with that scenario, I would probably do it after a thorough, successful inspection of the frame.

If the frame breaks after that and you end up ponying up the $1500-1800 or so you would have to fork out for the crash replacement frame, you would then be covered by the lifetime warranty at least. (That dollar figure above is a WAG by the way, but it seems to be what I recall seeing someone paying online somewhere, perhaps even here on MTBR).
    That is what I would hope for. I am just trying to figure that into the cost of buying just in case it does happen. Thanks for the response!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mMontebello View Post
    That is what I would hope for. I am just trying to figure that into the cost of buying just in case it does happen. Thanks for the response!
    I would definitely ask your nearest LBS that carries Cannondale to estimate what it would cost to replace a frame and ask for the "customer in good standing" price with the LBS going to bat for you.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3