mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Thinking about converting my 2004 Gemini into a full blown cross country racer

Anyone done this? How light have people out there been able to get their Gemini for this? How did it ride? Currently it's set up with a 7 inch Super T triple clamp, DHX coil, Magura Gustav brakes etc. Thanks for any info.

S&G CREW
    Feb 2008
    Yeah no one has made a gemni into a full blown xc racer.With that said you could lighten it a little for xc rides.But after you spend the money to do it might as well buy a new bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    put an air shock on it and the frame weighs about as much as the prophet does...then just keep adding all the lightest components...also the 140mm geometry is much like any garden variety xc bike...i think in the first year or two they spec'd gemini with a lefty...anyway
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    It will not become an XC racer but it will beome a great AM smash it up trail supreme!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Well they sold the Gemini as the "1000" model (in europe) as a relatively light AM machine (lefty 140 max), which I tested and loved.
    Couldn't afford one so bought a 900 with the sherman breakout forks (weighed a ton), I did eventually put a Lefty on mine, when one came up cheap on ebay. Though the rest of the components (DH orientated) always let it down weight wise, and my very very light (without trying hard) 06 Marin MV was the better XC bike, so the Gemini eventually got stored at the back of the garage.
    I always found the TT to be very short on the Gemini, and am still not sure you'd get the weight down on the frame to match a Prophet even with an air shock (I have both frames).

Though like you, I am planning to eventually resurrect it in a lighter form, but never as an XC machine.
    Got rid of my DH wheels, and have some lovely blackbox U-Turn Rev's, have had a 2nd hand XT chainset still awaiting the ISIS BB to wear out, just need to get some decent (read lighter) finish kit. It'll never be a super light bike but it always made me smile when riding it (down not up ). It should hopefully come good as an alternative to my Prophet - main ly just because it's the only bike I've ever bought new, and the price they sell for is just criminal for such a great (ahead of it's time) bike.

trouble is I'mm finding it very hard to remove the Rev's on my Prophet as it's great fun (even though I have a PBR carbon lefty to fit instead)
    Last edited by z1ppy; 07-06-2011 at 03:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm looking at converting it, since my wife wouldn't OK a new frame purchase and I already have four bikes. Two road and two mountain. I could try to sell a couple of the bikes, but I would still need to cough up money and I know my wife wouldn't be OK with that. We aren't tight on money, but it's one of those battles I'd prefer not to have. Replacing parts on the sly is my best bet Another thing is I'd prefer to not buy a Chinese frame. Just my preference.

As for the my reason for the XC conversion, my 1996 Super V is creaking pretty loudly which I suspect is from a crack somewhere that I can't see. As is, I could swap over most of the parts, with the Headshok at 3inches of travel being too short to match the rear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    so how did it go? I'm planning on turning my "gemini" into a super D/enduro DH bike, I was planing on using an ''old Domain", reduce it form 180mm to 160mm, get a light set of components, set it up on the 150mm rear travel and we'll see what happens.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I know it's not not my thread, but I did eventually do what I posted further up this thread and this was the result:

All the part where straight off my Prophet, which due to the previous owners mechanic now has a stripped BB (Prophet will be fixed @ some point and rebuilt with my PBR lefty)...
    Rockshox 1.5 steerer Revelations 140mm 20mm axle with blackbox (will be extended to 150mm at some point, but no rush)
    XT chainset
    Bontrager finishing kit
    Fox Vanilla RC shock
    Hope Bulb with 819 rims wheels & Nobby Nic's tyres
    Brake are mismatched Magura 180mm front and Hayes 185mm rear, as I need to fix the front (203mm) Hayes

No idea what it weighs, but it definitely better than it ever been before. It didn't feel as sprightly as the Prophet to start with and I did think the seat tube angle maybe making it hard work on climbs, but after a couple of weeks I got used to it and it's been great fun to use over the end of this summer. Starting to feel to high and nervous on tight wet sections now, so it will probably be put away till after winter...

mtbr member

Urban X country freeride

Dear gemini riders,

Thanks for the great idea ! All the parts that were on " the old super v " fit perfectly on the gemini and now I have something that is real ! Real Sweet !

Quote Originally Posted by r32657 View Post
    As for the my reason for the XC conversion, my 1996 Super V is creaking pretty loudly which I suspect is from a crack somewhere that I can't see. As is, I could swap over most of the parts, with the Headshok at 3inches of travel being too short to match the rear.
    Yours truly,

Handy
    Attached Images Attached Images