run, hide, it's a bike!

Think its a manufacture defect - anyone else have this issue on the jekyll

Think its a manufacture defect? Or does Cannondale just make bad bikes?

i post this in the Tool Time forum - but basically my break and rear shifter lines are cutting into my frame on my jekyll. there is a picture in the other forum. seem like a bad design to me, think i should ask cannondale for another frame. at somepoint it is going to cut deep enough to really screw the frame.
    **! I'd rather sh!t out Mark Weir than watch him pedal up a hill !**

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vexhex

i post this in the Tool Time forum - but basically my break and rear shifter lines are cutting into my frame on my jekyll. there is a picture in the other forum. seem like a bad design to me, think i should ask cannondale for another frame. at somepoint it is going to cut deep enough to really screw the frame.
    Unfortunatley the cables sitting in the groove between the downtube and the seattube support wear the paint very quickly. I had the same problem but as soon as I noticed it i put electrical tape there. Any bike I buy I try to identify where cable rub will be an issue and cover the frame with electrical tape before any wear starts. You might be able to get a new frame at a discounted price but I highly dought they would warranty it. Cable wear isn't a manufacturers defect

www.mtbnj.com
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by coolatt
    Unfortunatley the cables sitting in the groove between the downtube and the seattube support wear the paint very quickly. I had the same problem but as soon as I noticed it i put electrical tape there. Any bike I buy I try to identify where cable rub will be an issue and cover the frame with electrical tape before any wear starts. You might be able to get a new frame at a discounted price but I highly dought they would warranty it. Cable wear isn't a manufacturers defect
    Same problem on my jek, as well. i used the electrical tape trick too . lizard skin makes a clear "patch" which will eliminate rub if you don't like the idea of putting tape on your bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I had the same issue too on my Jekyll. I recognized it pretty early on in the life of the bike when I was cleaning it......I used the "fluffy" side of some adhesive industrial strength velcrose and cut out a little patch to stick onto the frame and protect it. Interestingly, the same thing occurs on my Cannondale road bike at the headtube. It's worth a shot to complain to Cannondale about it (why didn't I? Well, because I solved the problem at little cost to myself, and time is money, I didn't want to spend anymore time than was necessary to keep riding).

But: I think this happening is very poor and a bad reflection on Cannondale. Personally, for the cost of some little sticky plastic bits, this could be avoided. I don't like it at all. I posted about this about four years ago. I suppose Cannondale assume you clean the bike if you are a serious rider and will recognize this issue and fix it like many have done so before: Lizard Skin sticky patches, electrical tape, velcrose, etc., etc.... Yes, I suppose you can say it's wear, but I think the manufacturer does have a responsibility to make a product that is durable. And as I said, for the cost of some sticky tabs I think Cannondale is being penny-wise pound-foolish on this one.

It's issues like this that have contributed to me making the decision that I won't be buying a Cannondale for my next bike -road or off road, nor for that matter recommending them to anyone else. I really like to buy US made products, and I think Cannondale has some good designs, but the negatives are starting to outweigh the positives.

Oh yeah, try maintaining that Headshok without the appropriate tools, or getting a replacement Headshok boot, or replacement HeadShok spring kits.... it ain't easy -I have a feeling Cannondale has decided to abandon support with that one. I'll guess in a few years time people with Leftys will be a world of hurt too. And we haven't even mentioned if you need to buy a replacement Jekyll-specific rear shock too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    unfortunately, this is an issue on many mountain bikes. your best bet is, like the others said, to put some sort of protective tape on the frame where the cables will rub. the new prophets are shipped with clear patches that can be applied in areas where the cables rub. unfortunately many bike shops aren't putting these protective patches on the frame, and forget to give them to the customer when the bike is sold. that being said, i'd recommend going the electrical tape route. it'll match your black frame

run, hide, it's a bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigeyy
    And we haven't even mentioned if you need to buy a replacement Jekyll-specific rear shock too.
    Please don't remind me - I have been thinking about just getting one for when mine finially dies.

I agree with what you are saying about design issues. My second bike was not a cannondale - nor will I get one again. I actually ran across another Jekyll rider this weekend - and he had the same issue. It seems that if the layout of the cable causes the frame damage than it is a design flaw. A differant layout could reduce or not cause damage at all. I've never seen this on a SC or Yeti bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Please don't remind me - I have been thinking about just getting one for when mine finially dies.

I agree with what you are saying about design issues. My second bike was not a cannondale - nor will I get one again. I actually ran across another Jekyll rider this weekend - and he had the same issue. It seems that if the layout of the cable causes the frame damage than it is a design flaw. A differant layout could reduce or not cause damage at all. I've never seen this on a SC or Yeti bikes.
    actually a friend of mine has a santa cruz juliana with the worst cable rub i have ever seen. it has worn far beyond the paint, and has noticeably worn down the actual alloy of the frame. many bikes out there have cable rub, and in my opinion, it is something that can be prevented with a little tape or any of the other methods mentioned above. i'm not saying it's something to overlook when selecting a bike, but cannondale is not the only manufacturer that encounters this issue.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    With this kind of negativity I suspect trolling... freaking cable rub , are you seruious???
    So no other bike has cable rub? Or if they do you get a shiny new frame 5 years later?

And the whole 'abandoning' idea...I know how easy it is to get parts for some old forks from the early 90's
    Yawn, I'm gonna go watch the CWS eliminate the LAA's now
    T

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm definitely not saying other manufacturers don't have the same issues with cable rub -but it still doesn't make it right. Here's a great opportunity for Cannondale to make me a happy customer. I notice you say it's easy to get parts for some old forks from the early 90's -but you don't mention it's for Headshoks, you just say "forks", right?

Like it or not, it's these issues that have made up my mind. Until Cannondale changes some stuff, I'll be staying away (ironically, I've been more than happy with my Cannondales by the way, I could have so easily been a repeat customer). If you think this is overreacting, I'd be more than very happy for you to provide a link to where I can order:

an 8-rib Headshok boot for a Super Fatty M (I'll even forego the colour too)
    a firm ride spring kit for a Super Fatty M

In stock of course.

Quote Originally Posted by CdaleTony
    With this kind of negativity I suspect trolling... freaking cable rub , are you seruious???
    So no other bike has cable rub? Or if they do you get a shiny new frame 5 years later?

And the whole 'abandoning' idea...I know how easy it is to get parts for some old forks from the early 90's
    Yawn, I'm gonna go watch the CWS eliminate the LAA's now
    T

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Darn that Cannondale, none of my other bikes ever get flat tires, or wear and break cables, crack housing, or need a derailluer hanger (not my fault either), or have suspension pivots that wear out, need brakes bled, or need fork overhauls, or wheels trued, or cranks tightened, or chains replaced, or chainrings straightened, or even grips, my god, I never wore a grip out, EXCEPT on than darn CANNONDALE!!!!!!! Get a friggin life folks, or stop riding. It's folks like ya'll that make companies like Cannondale stop making bikes, every whiner who's too cheap to admit they don't take care of their stuff, OR, gave a second thought to the pitfalls of never cleaning or maintaining them. I guess it's Cannondales' fault you need a tune up? Oh that's right, you never got one, cause they never need it, cause it's a Cannondale, it will clean your house at night too, I guess? As to parts, Try a bike shop, they are known to have stuff like that from time to time, and if they don't, spend five minutes typing a note to Cannondale, asking where in your area you COULD find a shop that can get you the stuff. And remember, there is mail service in this country, so if someone in say, Kansas has it they can mail you a boot, wow, what a concept. Next time let's find something worthwhile to complain about, that doesn't make you sound like the sort of person that would sue their own granparents for breech of contract when they didn't deliver the newest Sony PS2 at Christmas time. Ride a bike, it reduces stress.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005

... and if we just ...

Nigeyy

My fork comment was aimed at Non-cannondale forks. Some of those old forks are hard to get parts for, the idea here is over time alot of designs get dropped in favor of new ones. I fyou plan on riding a fork for 10-15 years then buy up some parts before a mfr. stops supporting it.
    Just dont act like C-dale does things all wrong and will scew over the Lefty crowd in 10 years...By then I will probably be on a new bike , and the new fork (though I cant imagine one being nicer or simpler than the Lefty )
    Tony

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    You're right, darn that Cannondale. They come out with a proprietary design and less than a couple of years on the market, they just don't give a rat's behind about supporting it. Though of course, how thoughtful, when I've dropped them a line, and being such a thoughtful customer oriented company they've told me they don't deal with "customers" (ugh! the shame!) and wanted to refer me to a Cannondale dealer. This is what I like the most; I then have that lucky throw of the dice until I hit upon that Cannondale dealer LBS (probably in Kansas mind you) who might -just might -have that 3-4 year old part I want and can mail it to me (they have mail service everywhere in the country these days you know). God, what a rush! Bully for Cannondale, they're great! To quote you: "Wow, what a concept". Indeed.

I should also add that I have asked my LBS (big Cannondale dealer) about a boot and they said they only have a 5-6 rib boot -which isn't promising if you hang your bike on a hook by the way, nor does it look like it is the right size -and don't know about a spring kit (still going to get back to me on this one, though it worries me you have to get back about a suspension spring?).

I understand and respect your decision (as I said, I think Cannondale have some really good designs) if you want to deal with Cannondale -that's your choice and perogative. It's not mine though. Though I don't agree with your "get a friggin life folks" comment in view of the concerns noted, alas, I might be stuck with the "or stop riding" bit. You know, when I can't get that proprietary part.

Lastly, I don't know where the "every whiner who's too cheap to admit they don't take care of their stuff, OR, gave a second thought to the pitfalls of never cleaning or maintaining them" comment came from? You've been in my basement looking over my shoulder when I work on my bikes? What's this to do with actually getting parts? Or having to do really cheap fixes for cable chafe on a new bike the original manufacturer chose not to? The grandparents and Sony PS2 bit did give me a chuckle, very funny though I couldn't really see the applicability to the post.

Maybe you need to get out more and ride and reduce the stress, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Darn that Cannondale, none of my other bikes ever get flat tires, or wear and break cables, crack housing, or need a derailluer hanger (not my fault either), or have suspension pivots that wear out, need brakes bled, or need fork overhauls, or wheels trued, or cranks tightened, or chains replaced, or chainrings straightened, or even grips, my god, I never wore a grip out, EXCEPT on than darn CANNONDALE!!!!!!! Get a friggin life folks, or stop riding. It's folks like ya'll that make companies like Cannondale stop making bikes, every whiner who's too cheap to admit they don't take care of their stuff, OR, gave a second thought to the pitfalls of never cleaning or maintaining them. I guess it's Cannondales' fault you need a tune up? Oh that's right, you never got one, cause they never need it, cause it's a Cannondale, it will clean your house at night too, I guess? As to parts, Try a bike shop, they are known to have stuff like that from time to time, and if they don't, spend five minutes typing a note to Cannondale, asking where in your area you COULD find a shop that can get you the stuff. And remember, there is mail service in this country, so if someone in say, Kansas has it they can mail you a boot, wow, what a concept. Next time let's find something worthwhile to complain about, that doesn't make you sound like the sort of person that would sue their own granparents for breech of contract when they didn't deliver the newest Sony PS2 at Christmas time. Ride a bike, it reduces stress.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Aaah point taken, I see what you were saying. My problem is that I have a Super Fatty M which was on Cannondale bike specs as recently as 2002 -it just seems not *that* old to have problems getting parts for it. As I tend to go through 1 mtb every 5 years, that's where my fear of getting a bike with a Lefty on comes from!

Quote Originally Posted by CdaleTony
    My fork comment was aimed at Non-cannondale forks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It seems that if the layout of the cable causes the frame damage than it is a design flaw. A differant layout could reduce or not cause damage at all. I've never seen this on a SC or Yeti bikes.
    i disagree with the statement about SC's. i owned a superlight and it had three places that we're apt to rub through. didnt catch it time. we have several in the shop being work on right now, so i'll take a lookie and see if it's a pattern.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Lastly, I don't know where the "every whiner who's too cheap to admit they don't take care of their stuff, OR, gave a second thought to the pitfalls of never cleaning or maintaining them" comment came from?
    He means that if the guy with the jekyll cable rub problem had done some cleaning or maintaining his bike he would have found the cable rub before it became a problem. Severe cable rub doesn't happen in one ride. I agree with this statement. If your going to spend $1000> for a bike wouldn't you look after it? Don't you clean your car or look under the hood regularly. I admit the cable rub in this area of the bike is a little excessive if not attended to but everyone should check for stuff like this when they get a new bike.

run, hide, it's a bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by coolatt
    He means that if the guy with the jekyll cable rub problem had done some cleaning or maintaining his bike he would have found the cable rub before it became a problem. Severe cable rub doesn't happen in one ride. I agree with this statement. If your going to spend $1000> for a bike wouldn't you look after it? Don't you clean your car or look under the hood regularly. I admit the cable rub in this area of the bike is a little excessive if not attended to but everyone should check for stuff like this when they get a new bike.
    well you know - i checked under your mom's hood when she was my new ride, and i saw a bit of cable.... rub? but you know - the dirt was just too much to clear away.

Members who have read this thread: 0