the Jerc

Is there much diff. in Eggbeater MXR vs. SL?

I'm considering a set of Eggbeater SL's. I ride a marathon MTB. Other than price, weight and materials--is there a difference between the entry level MXR's and the SL's as far as feel and engagement?
    Hector
    Intense Spider FRO
    www.sabercycling.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yes. The MXRs are utter junk. They will last a few weeks / 100 miles before developing an incredible amount of play in the bearings. They are not rebuildable with the great and inexpensive (at $15) rebuild kits available for Eggbeaters and Candys.

Don't wast your money on MXRs. They're a disgrace to the good Crank Brothers name.

You mention the SLs, but the lowest-end proper Eggbeater is the Eggbeater C. A few grams heavier than the SL or MXR, but a great pedal, and not much more expensive than the disgraceful MXR.

Also, I believe that the MXRs come with the "standard" cleat, which wears away in what seems to be no time at all. All other eggbeaters (if I cam correct) come with the premium cleats, which have a useful service life.

BTW, this is not Cannondale related.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc
    I'm considering a set of Eggbeater SL's. I ride a marathon MTB. Other than price, weight and materials--is there a difference between the entry level MXR's and the SL's as far as feel and engagement?
    Hector

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    buy the sls.
    the mxr is crap, the c is a little weak. don't waste money on it. i've seen a guy bust 2 springs off of the Cs... sl for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing

the Jerc
    Quote Originally Posted by almontebarnes
    BTW, this is not Cannondale related.
    Good catch. I have 4 Cannondales. I'm using MXR's on all of them. I'd imagine that would be the relationship.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Intense Spider FRO
    www.sabercycling.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have the misfortune of having MXRs on two of my Cannondales too. I bought them because I trust Crank Bros and have Candy C, Eggbeater C and Eggbeater SL on my three other bikes.

They work, but they're sloppy. Way too much play. They're coming off soon.

Good catch. I have 4 Cannondales. I'm using MXR's on all of them. I'd imagine that would be the relationship.
    Thanks for the advice.

mtbr member
    Buy the Eggbeaters Ti 2, they are expensive but they are the toughest model, it's a worthy investment.

the Jerc
    I wish I could get those 2ti's.
    I found a good deal on the SL's and ended up ordering as set. Thanks for all the help.
    Intense Spider FRO
    www.sabercycling.com

USED2COULD
    I wish I could get those 2ti's.
    I found a good deal on the SL's and ended up ordering as set. Thanks for all the help.
    Excellent.
    I think the SL's are the sweet spot in the range. I have the C's and the SL's. I infrequently ride the bike with the C's on but the SL's are notably better.
    2x10
    '12 Niner Jet RDO 22.9 lb
    1x1
    '09 Cannondale F29er 1 20.1 lb
    '10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb