Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Tell me about Prophets

I see a lot of used Cannondale bikes on Craigslist around here (Seattle area), mostly because REI sells so many bikes I think. Anyway I'm looking for my first FS bike. What is the Prophet like? I've only ridden a few FS bikes, mostly Specialized. Is it more like an Enduro or a Stumpjumper? I definitely prefer XC geometry and weight.

It makes me think a Rize or Rush might suit me better, but who knows.

Thanks,
    Greg.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    A Prophet will be no lightweight, but it will take a beating and keep asking for more. The suspension is adjustable from a XC to a FR setting with just a pair of hex keys. I don't ride mine as much since I got a 29er, but there are nearby trails where I still use the 140mm of travel.
    2014 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

mtbr member
    i dont ride cannondales anymore, i ride a niner now wfo9 to be exact... but i did ride solely cannondales for more than 10 years, i had them all, the prophet was the best bike cannondale made imo, it was at the time one of the lightest long travel bikes around, but it was heavey duty, i loved mine! i thought i would like it in xc mode but i ended up using her more in the slacker mode... she was alot of fun! more of bash around, have fun type bike, not a racer like the rush which i had one of those in carbon nice bike too! i test rode the rize when it first came out, didnt care for it much, went to 29ers from that point....there are alot of good deals on 26ers nowadays...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The Prophet should never have been discontinued as it is a really tough AM bordering on light freeride. It may not climb as well as an RZ 140 or a Rush but is more of a point and shoot at downhills in the woods.

mtbr member

My opinion

My first choice was a Stumpjumper, but the Lefty/J-swingarm combined with simple single pivot rear shock design is what bought me. Consider what your daily riding will be, then choose wisely. I consider the above design all-mountain with the selection of appropriate tires/rims. | still ride and enjoy my 2005 600 LEFTY.

Enjoy

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Alright maybe I'll give one a try... my goal is to get a 26" FS to bash around on and a HT 29er so I can have the "best of both" so to speak.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeydesadist
    more of a point and shoot at downhills in the woods.

DITTO!

And don't forget to get measured for frame size and seat height.

Just Ride.
    I ride a Prophet for XC racing, free-riding, endurance racing and bombing down hills and it excels at all. Great all round bike.

mtbr member
    I love my Prophet for riding in my area. Ilive in the east coast and the trails have tonnes of rocks and roots that you need to beat yourself over, and I find the prophet to be perfect for it, since the guys on the lightweight XC bikes are slowing down to pick a line while I ri straight across it all. I've had a number of riders ask if I'm willing to trade my prophet for their rize over the last while, so that must say something about the bike for sure!

Ridin' dirty!
    The prophet is the perfect do it all bike...
    Use it as an aggressive XC bike in the 24-26lbs. range with light weight components or as an am rig with the appropriate components.
    The frame with it's single pivot without any actuator links is almost bullet proof...
    I only ride mine it the XC setting so I can just plow over obstacles...
    it made me a more confident rider and I'll keep mine until it falls apart!
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    There's a Prophet 4 07' in great shape on eBay right now here's the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT
    <--Thats Me
    Cdale Flash 29er Carbon 3
    Cdale Flash 29er 2
    Cdale Scalpel Lefty
    Cdale Rush Lefty (2)
    Roots
    Rocks
    Raggae

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If you happen to see an Orange Prophet 1 for sale on Craig's List in the Seattle area (or a ball burnished Flash) let me know and don't buy it! We lost 9 bikes in a fire, some of them might look ok after a cleanup but wouldn't be safe to ride. I'm afraid that the guys the insurance company hired to dispose of them might be dumb enough to try to clean and sell them instead.
    2011 Cannondale Flash Carbon 2
    2010 Redline Monocog Flight
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    2011 Cannondale Jekyl Ultimate

mtbr member
    The prophet is a great all around ride. I use to live in woodinville wa when I first started mt biking and I'm dying to get my prophet to the water shed trails. My prophet is sub 28 and I can keep up with guys on hardtail 29 on her. Just set up your bike right and the prophet will climb just fine, just make sure you have a rp23 on her. Prophets are great point and click down hill bikes that you can also climb on. Also they are very heavy duty frames and take a beating. Also I you get sent side ways ( bad water crossing) the lower frame heights help you bail off fast.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    What I said aside, I already miss the Prophet immensely. Like everyone here said it was a bullet proof bike. It did very well at places like Tiger Mountain where you need to be able to climb efficiently and ascend having some fun. The SPV version did very well as an XC bike and was my only ride for 2+ years before I added a 29er hardtail to the stable. The only bad thing you'll probably hear about it is that the back end is noticeably flexy. If you pick one up used be sure to check, clean and lube all the shock bushings and suspension pivots, I've seen them get close to seezing up from lack of lube and riding in wet conditions. Good luck!
    2011 Cannondale Flash Carbon 2
    2010 Redline Monocog Flight
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    2011 Cannondale Jekyl Ultimate

Just a flesh wound
    Fantastic bike! I live in Mass, rocky and rooty is the norm. The bike does everything well. As a single pivot, you get pedal bob, but a good shock with SPV or ProPedal takes care of that. I have the Manitou 3Way w/ SPV for a rear shock, Lefty Max 140 TPC on the front. The more you ride a Prophet, the better it gets.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jays0n
    What I said aside, I already miss the Prophet immensely. Like everyone here said it was a bullet proof bike. It did very well at places like Tiger Mountain where you need to be able to climb efficiently and ascend having some fun.
    Thanks for all the positive feedback. My goal is a nice solid FS bike under $1200. That puts me squarely in the "used bike" sector, and the Prophet is definitely on my short list. Then I would spend around the same on light HT 29er to compliment, I figure with those two bikes there's not much terrain I can't go ride. Other options might be a Stumpjumper or Trance, maybe a Pitch. It may depend on which used bike comes up first I guess.

I live in Woodinville and ride the Paradise Valley trail a lot, since it's in my back yard (literally). This is mostly an XC type trail without a lot of hills. But it has some gnarly root sections and some pretty neat downhill with drops that my old Rockhopper has no business on. Plus I ride in Winthrop in the summers and it would open up some stuff at Duthie and Tiger Mtn.

Genius
    One bad ass ride. I love my Prophet. Tuff bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tell me about Prophets-2.jpg  

Tell me about Prophets-8.jpg  

Tell me about Prophets-10.jpg  

"I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Nice ...

Nice bike , I can see you been keeping Mendon busy too

Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Heywatchthis
    Nice bike , I can see you been keeping Mendon busy too
    Mendon is a God Send. He hooked me up with a lefty rebuild this spring. From my house in New Mexico to his shop in New York and back to me in New Mexico in 3 days Flat.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Get a Lefty for nthe Prophet

If you get a Prophet, try to find one with a Lefty. I have a 2005 Prophet going strong after nearly 5 years. I weigh 205 + gear, rode in rocks of Venezuela with it for first 2 years. Never a problem. Can't go wrong.

mtbr member

woodinville

Quote Originally Posted by InlawBiker
    Thanks for all the positive feedback. My goal is a nice solid FS bike under $1200. That puts me squarely in the "used bike" sector, and the Prophet is definitely on my short list. Then I would spend around the same on light HT 29er to compliment, I figure with those two bikes there's not much terrain I can't go ride. Other options might be a Stumpjumper or Trance, maybe a Pitch. It may depend on which used bike comes up first I guess.

I live in Woodinville and ride the Paradise Valley trail a lot, since it's in my back yard (literally). This is mostly an XC type trail without a lot of hills. But it has some gnarly root sections and some pretty neat downhill with drops that my old Rockhopper has no business on. Plus I ride in Winthrop in the summers and it would open up some stuff at Duthie and Tiger Mtn.
    i grew up in cottage creek park off of woodinville hwy back when it was all farm country. the prophet will work great out in those water sheds. i use to ride a lot up by laura angles wilder elementry on the power line trails. post some pics of the prophet in action. i will be up there in a few months to visit family and im bringing my prophet. let me know how the prophets deals with all the roots and what tires work the best for the trails.

karl

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I like my prophet with my bigger fork and DHX Air... although at 5'10, I wish I had a large instead of my medium and I wished I found a DHX coil instead of the air (small bump compliance is next to nothing with an air shock). Overall I like the simplicity.
    -2000 Giant DH Team
    -2003 Balfa BB7
    -2004 Nicolai Nuclean ST
    *DH riding hiatus*
    -2011 Intense M9

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Considering size. I am 6'2" with long arms and ride XL frames for xc. I am on the border between L and XL. My 2006 prophet 1000 is a large and I like the slightly smaller frame to be able to get well over the rear wheel. The bike is super tough bullet proof and a point and shoot. Like the xc/fr adjustable geometry. Lefty max is a must. I put a PUSH rp23 on it (bigger air sleeve and valving). Very plush ride and allowed for even more down hill speed.

Love this bike andit is my everyday do everything bike. A quick change of wheels and tires drops it from around 30lb to 27 lb and you can do local fun races on it.

mtbr member
    even though you probably have enough info already but I wanted to ad my vote for the Prophet...

Great bike for XC to AM... its tuff as nails and very light weight considering just how strong it is... being able to tweak the geo between FR and XC was awesome. I built mine up with 650b wheels and a Lefty right at 30 pounds (with big tires/tubes and flats) My girl friends is built up at 33-34lbs with a Marz 160mm fork and a rear shock with longer stroke for more rear travel.

I am 6'2 and mostly leg and went with a large so a little longer headtube/steerer would have been nice. After a few years I ended up replacing it with a Santa Cruze Heckler with a regular fork and it fits me better with a bit more steerer than the Lefty has and rides just as nice BUT the welds and finish are not even close to being in the same league as the Prophet... and I added a pound with the regular fork and its not as nice as the Lefty. My Heckler is much better for me but the Prophet is an all around better bike... Lefty, adjustable geo, lighter, better welds and finish.

mtbr member
    cannondale never should have discontinued this bike! i hear they are bringing back a new version of the jekyll, they should bring back the prophet instead!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast