Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    82

    Taurine - weird braking issues

    On my 2008 Taurine Team XL whenever I use the rear brake I experience a high frequency vibration that resonates through the whole frame in a horrible butt numbing buzzing and an unpleasant shuddering accompanied by a harsh sound. As I did not untill recently ride the bike a great deal it was always in the back of my mind that this was probaly just an issue with the disk brake setup. However after trying different brands of brakes ( Hayes, Avids ), various combinations of disk types and sizes as well as different composition brake pads ( Sintered metal, resin etc.) and repeatedly checking alignment, setup etc. I am starting to run out of options. I have even tried a different rear wheel.

    My question to the Cannondale Gurus on this forum, has anyone experienced this unhappy conondrum before and is it not possibly a design or manufacturing flaw. Also have there been any communication from Cannondale around this - I have been unable to find anything.

    I really enjoy this bike, the best MTB I have owned so far but this issue is spoiling my experience and starting to have an affect on my riding as I try not use the rear brake, so any input you guys can provide will really be appreciated.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    390
    i had this issue on my two taurine frames. check the brake mount for cracking along the wheel side of the mount, if it is cracked it's junk! sorry.

  3. #3
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,773
    go to your LBS

    this is a known problem . and normally frames are changed under warranty

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    82
    Thanks parkincake and eliflap - will contact my LBS.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by parkincake
    i had this issue on my two taurine frames. check the brake mount for cracking along the wheel side of the mount, if it is cracked it's junk! sorry.
    Looked closely at the wheel side of the mount, no crack visible although there is a strange mark, possibly from the bonding. Is it possible if this is a known problem that it is a design flaw?

  6. #6
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,773

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    82
    I see what you mean eliflap, you can see a definite crack there. There is no crack on mine.
    Good news though is that the local distributer E - Mailed me about collecting the bike to have a look at what they can do - quick service considering I mailed Cannondale last night.
    Will keep you informed with what happens.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    181
    I have had a couple threads going about this problem on my 29'er, they replaced everything, brakes, etc and even a frame, nothing solved the problem.
    2011 Cannondale Flash Carbon 2
    2010 Redline Monocog Flight
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    2011 Cannondale Jekyl Ultimate

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by jays0n
    I have had a couple threads going about this problem on my 29'er, they replaced everything, brakes, etc and even a frame, nothing solved the problem.
    Oh No!, I hope this is not the case here, I quote from the mail from the local distributer here - all likelihood it's the disc brake mounts on the frame that need facing

    With a little luck this may sort it out.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    181
    Yup, did that to both frames, no change.
    2011 Cannondale Flash Carbon 2
    2010 Redline Monocog Flight
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    2011 Cannondale Jekyl Ultimate

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by jays0n
    Yup, did that to both frames, no change.
    Oh hell jays0n, what eventually did you do, after two frames, now you really got me worried. Are you still riding the bike?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    181
    Its a long story but the short version is that they replaced the 2nd frame with a Flash 1 after I waited about 9 weeks. I built it up, rode it 4 times and my house burned down with it and 8 other bikes in the garage.

    I now have a Flash Carbon 2 on order, sorry if I'm being a bit of a downer, its been a long few weeks and my disposition hasn't been as "sunny" as it has in the past

    No matter what you have to go through the proper channels so have them do what they planned, face the tabs, etc, some of that may work, it's certainly worth a try. Mine was a 29er single speed in XL, we all thought the size had something to do with it.
    2011 Cannondale Flash Carbon 2
    2010 Redline Monocog Flight
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    2011 Cannondale Jekyl Ultimate

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by jays0n
    Its a long story but the short version is that they replaced the 2nd frame with a Flash 1 after I waited about 9 weeks. I built it up, rode it 4 times and my house burned down with it and 8 other bikes in the garage.

    I now have a Flash Carbon 2 on order, sorry if I'm being a bit of a downer, its been a long few weeks and my disposition hasn't been as "sunny" as it has in the past

    No matter what you have to go through the proper channels so have them do what they planned, face the tabs, etc, some of that may work, it's certainly worth a try. Mine was a 29er single speed in XL, we all thought the size had something to do with it.
    Great, thanks. Sorry about the house and the bikes - that is enough to get anyone down.
    Here is hoping your new Flash arrives soon and you can get some good riding in.
    I hope you had insurance.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    181
    Thanks, we did have insurance and have replaced the road bikes and my redline single speed 29er so I have something to ride. We have the Flash, a Lexi 1 for my wife and a Jekyll Ultimate on order for me, can't wait for them to arrive! Good luck with your braking issue.
    2011 Cannondale Flash Carbon 2
    2010 Redline Monocog Flight
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    2011 Cannondale Jekyl Ultimate

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •