Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    190

    Taurine - Lefty/SLR problems?!

    So I splurged on a new Taurine Team Replica - so far not so good from a company (Cannondale) perspective. No sooner did my new bike arrive - then a recall is announced. Also, the Lefty is leaking some fork fluid from the top cap??? Lastly, the front Mavic SLR does not spin freely. NOT a matter of disk rubbing - and the wheel is torqued to spec.
    Sometimes things dont workout as one would hope - I seem to remember being able to buy a high end new bike and it actually was rideable. The Lefty fork that made me choose this bike has turned out to be full of issues.
    The good news is that the frame is awesome. No reason to have a short travel dualie now that there are frames with this level of stiffness AND comfort. And in size Large it is truly 20.5 straight from the box with about 3/4 pound begging to be removed in the form of long and heavy seatpost, heavy grips, saddle, heavy tires, etc..
    Anybody have ideas why I have suspension fluid leaking from under the rebound adjuster (top of fork) or why my SLR will not spin freely. When it is hanging on the stand I give it a good hard spin and I get about 3 revolutions.
    Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!

  2. #2
    mad aussie
    Reputation: Flying Wombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,124
    If you remove the wheel and spin it does it spin freely? It could be a lack of lube on the dust shield of the hub, but if it is the bearings its a Mavic problem, not a Cannondale problem. I will go down on record as saying I am not a fan of Mavic hubs, we have had a quite a few problems with them, more with the non-Lefty than the Lefty varieties.

    As far as the oil leak, sounds like a cartridge issue to me. The top o-ring could be leaking. I feel your pain on the Lefty SL, I had the air piston suddenly break on me this weekend, a friend had a cracked clamp and then an air leak. The good news is that Cannondale were really good about warranty. I think that Cannondale might have pushed the weight envelope too far with the SL, or not trained the technicians doing assembly very well, I havent seen any issues with the alloy or DLR carbon forks. The good news is that its a spectacular fork when the bugs are sorted out, there is nothing that comes close at the same weight.

    Cannondale gets hammered on the recall front, but people tend to forget about other manufacturers recalls or non recalls. Early Fox forks had a bad habit of breaking dropouts (know a couple of people), there were cases of tightened QR's pulling out of the dropouts under braking forces (google Russ Pinder if you want to know more) and RP23's would lock down into their travel, and we just had a customer with a brand new bike who had major oil losses from both front and rear fox shocks on another brand. Yet somehow Fox dont get hammered on forums like Cannondale does. I still think Fox make great products, but production problems seem to plague lots of manufacturers

    Kevin

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    190

    Agreed,,,but

    The consumer should have high expectations when buying a $5500 hardtail and from a company who touts its relentless testing. I agree that once the bugs are worked out it will be a great ride - in the meantime however, it has been a major drag to have so many issues and the time lost to chase down these problems is a real bummer. The people at Cannondale are great - and unlike Specialized, they provide a 800# and you can speak to a helpful person.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    44
    jtc1 can you tell me more about the recall notice? I'm in Australia and have a Taurine arriving today and have not heard. Hope you issues get sorted out soon.

  5. #5
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,407
    Quote Originally Posted by vang
    jtc1 can you tell me more about the recall notice? I'm in Australia and have a Taurine arriving today and have not heard. Hope you issues get sorted out soon.
    Here is the info on the recall: LEFTY SPEED DLR2 AND SL RECALL. Normally, a good shop will make sure it's done when they assemble your new bike but, for safety's sake, ask them when you go pick it up. The fix is done at the shop so it's a quickie.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  6. #6
    Sunny Day Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by vang
    jtc1 can you tell me more about the recall notice? I'm in Australia and have a Taurine arriving today and have not heard. Hope you issues get sorted out soon.
    From the link that Dan provided, it appears to require removing a few bits from the top of the fork and applying a thread sealer (Locktite) to an area that got missed during construction. The tool you need should be in every Cannondale dealers shop, but it is unique. The special tool is the bad news.

    The good news is that you'll get plenty of notice before anything falls apart. In fact, reading the symptom list makes me suspect the folks who had injuries were not paying much attention to their equipment. No, I'm not suggesting it is their fault there is a problem, but a little attention is necessary for any lightweight high end equipment. Yes, that's just my opinion and worth what you paid for it.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    554
    Quote Originally Posted by jtc1
    So I splurged on a new Taurine Team Replica - so far not so good from a company (Cannondale) perspective. No sooner did my new bike arrive - then a recall is announced. Also, the Lefty is leaking some fork fluid from the top cap??? Lastly, the front Mavic SLR does not spin freely. NOT a matter of disk rubbing - and the wheel is torqued to spec.
    Sometimes things dont workout as one would hope - I seem to remember being able to buy a high end new bike and it actually was rideable. The Lefty fork that made me choose this bike has turned out to be full of issues.
    The good news is that the frame is awesome. No reason to have a short travel dualie now that there are frames with this level of stiffness AND comfort. And in size Large it is truly 20.5 straight from the box with about 3/4 pound begging to be removed in the form of long and heavy seatpost, heavy grips, saddle, heavy tires, etc..
    Anybody have ideas why I have suspension fluid leaking from under the rebound adjuster (top of fork) or why my SLR will not spin freely. When it is hanging on the stand I give it a good hard spin and I get about 3 revolutions.
    Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!
    Hey jtc1, I got an SL fork and it's leaking a little bit of oil from the rebound adjuster too. It's brand new (haven't had the time to ride it yet) and at first I thought it was some oil from assembly but you got me thinking.

    Flying Wombat, I'm going to Phoenix area next week and would like to get it checked for the recall & leaking issue, do you know the turn around time from your shop? I ask cause I don't have a local Cdale dealer and would be there for 3 or 4 days approx. Thanks

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    190

    Update!

    Found out that the oild from the rebound cap is an assembly lube and a little initial weeping is normal. Mine has now stopped. I had the recall done - seems like a quick fix. Now that most of the C'Dale dealers have done the bikes on their showfloor - they have the process down.
    Having ridden the Lefty fairly hard yestrday - I will happily state it is the best stiffest lightest fork I have ever riden. Almost uncanny how direct and responsive it is.
    Now I just need to get my SLR to freespin - I think a little Phil's Tenacious may be the answer.

  9. #9
    mad aussie
    Reputation: Flying Wombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,124
    Quote Originally Posted by jiar577
    Hey jtc1, I got an SL fork and it's leaking a little bit of oil from the rebound adjuster too. It's brand new (haven't had the time to ride it yet) and at first I thought it was some oil from assembly but you got me thinking.

    Flying Wombat, I'm going to Phoenix area next week and would like to get it checked for the recall & leaking issue, do you know the turn around time from your shop? I ask cause I don't have a local Cdale dealer and would be there for 3 or 4 days approx. Thanks
    If you come in to Paragon Cycling we could most likely get it checked in and out in a day or less. It gets pretty quiet here in the summer when it is 114 degrees out!
    Checking a Lefty makes a nice change from building 30 wheels for some police bikes we are working on right now!

    Kevin

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    554
    Cool, I'll let you know in advance anyway
    Thanks

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by jtc1
    Found out that the oild from the rebound cap is an assembly lube and a little initial weeping is normal. Mine has now stopped.
    My Speed Carbon SL also had the alleged weeping around the rebound adjuster when I first got it. It turned out to be nothing to worry about, as it was exactly as you said: assembly lube.

    Mine has been flawless from day one. I also absolutley love it. This is the best fork I've ever ridden, even if it is on a Giant Anthem Advanced.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    22
    I got my Taurine a couple of weeks ago and my front slr wheel also does not spin freely. It also makes a soft high pitched squeal. There is no break rub. I thought it might be a torque issue, so I checked and adjusted it to the appropriate torque, but that didn't change anything. Maybe it is like the king hubs that require a little break in time, although the rear spins freely. If you guys figure it out, let me know.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: A-Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    223

    SLR Probelm

    I think I can answer all of your SLR probelm questions. I got one of the first Taurine's inthe USA back in march. I built the bike mysel fat the shop i race for. I noticed that the wheel was not spinny that freely and called a good freind who works at Titus but used to do a lot with cannondale. He told me that the old croossmax sl's would require a little break in period due to a rubber washer that is located around the bolt on the non-brake side of your hub that attahced the wheel to your spindle. Well i took it to a race that weekend and it began to amke a horrible noise. So I pulled the sheel sprayed some teflon lube insde and that seem to help and noticed some rubber shavings. The wheel started to spin better becuase the rubber gasket/washer was wearing down. Another teemate had a lower model rush with new crosstrail wheels and he was having the same probelm.

    After that weekend I took my old croosmax sl and new slr apart to compare the bolts and cap. the slr had a rubber ring around the botl that was much larger than the sl. Si i just took it off. Probelm solved. I beleive the purpose of the rubber ring is to help center the bolt when attaching the wheel. I have riidng with it like that since then with no probelms. I
    one pedal stroke at a time

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    22
    ADog,
    Do you think your problems were solved by removing the rubber washer, or from changing to the ceramic bearings. I thought you mentioned before that you upgraded to the ceramic bearings.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    190

    A Dog

    Tell us how to get at the rubberring...I assume we take a pin spanner and remove the cap (the black cap with the torque values printed on it) turning to accomodate REVERSE threads. Once off I assume that the rubber seal is right there ready to be yanked out???

  16. #16
    italian globetrotter
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    91

    pictures please

    can anybody post a picture of the incriminated seal and how to remove it?

    thanks very much

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    44
    What tool is used to removed the cap? It has four small holes which I assume is for the special tool required?

    My slr front wheel made some high pitched noises for the first 300kms or so and has now quitened down and is spinning alot more freely, thought not like my other bikes. I'll give it another week or two and will try removing the seal as Dan suggested. Just need to figure out how to removed that cap with the four holes...

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    190

    You need a pin spanner.

    Park tools makes several. Read your lefty supplement and it even tells you the Park Tool part number (I think it is SPA1) or the green pin spanner. Turn the cap to the RIGHT (reverse threads) to llosen. Remove the cap, and you will see the rubber oring that is the cause of the issue. Remove and reassemble.

  19. #19
    italian globetrotter
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    91

    park tool not needed

    hi,
    i was looking for park tool, then i discovered that that tool is pretty common in industry, so i found a USAG on a normal industrial tool shop..

    ciao

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •