Thread: swingarm wear

mtbr member

swingarm wear

I have a prophet and noticed after a lenghty downhill run the other day that the rear QR lever had popped open. I dont know how but i will assume the i hit it or something, as it was shut when i started. I noticed that my rear wheel had moved and could be jostled side to side even after i tightened the QR back down. The entire wheel moved not just the hub. When I got home i checked the wheel and the cones were tight in the hub but i could wiggle the wheel around. I could move the wheel to the point where the tire could almost touch the swingarm or be centered. (i have 2.35 nevegals) I checked the swingarm where the hub rests in the dropouts and noticed that on the drive side all the paint and possibly some of the aluminum was ground off. on the brake side i have actually lost aluminum on the swingarm. anyone ever see this happen? I am not sure how this has happened. I would am thinking that this is why my tire can move around even after the QR is closed tight. now that there is material missing and it isnt a smooth flat surface. I am running it to a shop tomorrow, but I didnt know if there were any ideas on why this would happen. I couldnt find any posts on this. Also, on the lock nuts on the hub, there is a side that is smooth(where your wrench would go) and a side that has ridges in the end of the nut/washer. which side should be faced out towards the swingarm? right now the smooth side is out. Not sure if I put the washers on backwards when i cleaned the hub last or if this even has a bearing on my problem. (obviously i think it does b/c the turning in that section has ground off swingarm aluminum. I just didnt know if a loose QR for a 45 minute ride would take that much paint and aluminum.)
    Chance favors the prepared mind

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Textured side should be facing the dropouts on the hub's locknuts.

You rode for 45 minutes without noticing something was amiss?? I thought only I could do that.

mtbr member
    yeah it isnt first time i have ridden for a while only to notice that thing had come loose. I think my next bike wont have a QR rear. Thanks for the info. Now i just gotta see if it is fixable now.
    Chance favors the prepared mind

Like catnip for people
    Hmm that's interesting.

I have a similar problem too.

I will tighten my QR and close and the entire wheel has some left to right play in it... It caused me a whole lot of grief with regards to Disc brake rub when I first got the bike... I inspected my QR Skewer and it is a little loose on the "lever" side... I'm thinking my problem is related to the QR Skewer, not the swingarm... I'm planning on getting another skewer soon.. And I'll see if that fixes the problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Could it be that you don't tighten the QR enought? It is supposed to be so hard that you almost can't get it open.
    If it is a litlle loose, some movement could start and grind away on the swingarm. --> more play --> more grinding. Eventually the QR pops open.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ar1981
    Hmm that's interesting.

I have a similar problem too.

I will tighten my QR and close and the entire wheel has some left to right play in it... It caused me a whole lot of grief with regards to Disc brake rub when I first got the bike... I inspected my QR Skewer and it is a little loose on the "lever" side... I'm thinking my problem is related to the QR Skewer, not the swingarm... I'm planning on getting another skewer soon.. And I'll see if that fixes the problem.
    Your problem sounds like it might be a loose hub instead of/in addition to a skewer issue...