mtbr member

Swingarm Broke - Swap parts to another frame?

My bike is a 2009 RZ 140. I'm thinking it might be hard to locate just a single swingarm for sale so the thought occurred to me to find a quality same era frame and swap out parts. However, I'm not too familiar with frames that would be best compatible.

The reason I want to keep the parts is because I had just upgraded my brakes, stem, handlebars, cassette, chain, and pedals. Also, I just recently replaced the seals and oil in both my front and rear shocks.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Though it's an '09 I have put less than 200 miles on it after I purchased it.

Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swingarm Broke - Swap parts to another frame?-fence-leaves.jpg  

Swingarm Broke - Swap parts to another frame?-img_0371.jpg  

Swingarm Broke - Swap parts to another frame?-img_0372.jpg  

Last edited by jscott36; 1 Week Ago at 03:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    are you the original owner with receipt? If so Cannondale might help out as a warranty repair?

mtbr member
    Hi. Unfortunately I'm not the original owner. I did speak to Cannondale, though. The woman was nice but there was little they could do.

I'm thinking now of just finding the same bike, removing it's swingarm, and keeping the rest for parts. This way I could avoid any hangups of buying an unfamiliar bike.

Thank you for your comment. Sometimes I think buying new is the way to go because of the warranty. However, the expense is a bit much for me at the moment.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jscott36 View Post
    Sometimes I think buying new is the way to go because of the warranty. However, the expense is a bit much for me at the moment.
    You're correct about buying new. Both the advantage and the stupid money we pay for new. A few years ago I needed a new bike, I was twisting my light XC racer and beating out suspension and wheel bearings trying to keep up with pals who had upgraded. $4k minimum to get a bike at the level I wanted, you know strong and light wheels, latest geo numbers. It took some extremely good luck for me to swing the purchase and I felt irresponsible along with the gratitude.
    You will love how a two year old Trail bike rides compared to your '09. Unless you find an older bike that your shock will fit (find the size and compare) I think you should give up on the that idea and shop for a 2-3yr old bike. Then ride it enough to justify your money!
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Thanks Jim. I'm pretty much in the same boat regarding the 4K price tag to get what I really need. It's nice to know that the geo numbers have improved since 2009. I wasn't aware of this at all. I'll be giving a newer bike more consideration now.

Thank you for your help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    There are so many new and used bikes available for under 3K. You just have to be willing to choose a brand that isn't trendy.

mtbr member
    Thanks Alexdi. What brand (s) do you think I could consider? I was on a rigid for just about 25 yrs until recently. Some brands kind of scare be because I've never heard of them.

I don't need a trendy brand so I'm fine with that for sure. I just want something that can take the punishment I plan to unleash on it The trails I ride have lots of technical stuff (though I don't do drops). Would like to do a few small jumps someday, though.

BTW, I'm just over 6' and weight 230lbs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Kona Process 134: Full Custom $7500 build (carbon wheels and more!) - Buy and Sell Mountain Bikes and Accessories
    This is a link to MTBR classifieds, a used Kona Process 134 size XL. If you want a medium travel trail ripper. super sturdy flex free bike. the owner has some very good components installed on a frame that hasn't seen much change. A 2017 model is very close to this frame. There are lower priced versions avaliable, but you'd have to look on different sites (Pinkbike).
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Thanks Jim. Kona actually has a certain following in a chapter of the New England Mountain Bike Association (NEMBA) in my area. I've heard great things about the Process.

I appreciate you shining some light on this brand and for providing me with a link. I'll take a closer look.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I've seen a few Rize/RZ swing arms on Ebay in the past few months.

mtbr member
    That's great to hear pcmark. I'll keep an eye out for one. Even if its an off-color it wouldn't matter to me too much. I'd probably tackle it with some spray paint though

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    My default recommendations are Vitus and Diamondback. Take 40% off DB's MSRP for any comparisons.

$3K, carbon, 27.5
    Vitus Bikes Sommet CR FS Bike - Carbon Sram X1 1x11 2017 | Chain Reaction Cycles

$2K, alloy, 27.5
    Vitus Bikes Escarpe VR Suspension Bike - SLX 1x11 2017 | Chain Reaction Cycles

$2.5K, alloy, 27.5+
    https://www.diamondback.com/mountain-bikes/catch-2

The equivalent used prices would be the above less 35%.

mtbr member
    Thanks! I appreciate the links and reference to Vitus and Diamondback. I've heard of Diamondback (I see them on REI's website) but Vitus is totally new to me. The bikes all look pretty cool. I amazed that they can meet their price-points - one even has a dropper seatpost.

This is a huge help alexdi. Thank you.

p.s. A local LBS owner who rides the sames trails as I do recommended that I get at least 140mm front suspension. The trails I ride here in Massachusetts have lots of granite - mostly in the form of Rock Gardens which I have to ascend/descend but there are some flatter RG areas as well. However, a friend got a XC bike with less suspension and appears to be doing well with it. I just need to narrow it down, I guess.

Just a flesh wound
    There's a Rize 140 frame on fleabay for $400 right now. I ride in MA as well. Rocks and roots for everyone!
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.