mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Swingarm Bearings: How the heck do I remove them?

So I have my 2008 Rush in a complete teardown this winter before I go 650b on it (wife's Rush is already 650b) and I have the swingarm off and the bearings feel like a ratchet ........no big deal....off to Cannondale Experts and sure enough there are the bearings....no problem, order some up and I'm on my way......but wait........

How the hell do I get the old bearings out?

I sprayed some liquid wrench on them to loosen up whatever gunk might be there....hit them with a mallet for a bit but that didn't seem to be the right answer.....

Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You might try some heat. The aluminum will expand faster than the steel bearing, so the interference fit will open up. Start with a hairdryer and see if that works.

Then I would re-install with one of these (I almost screwed my Rush up when the bearings got tilted during installation):
    Economy Bearing Press
    and
    10mm ID & Larger Hub Bearing Installaton Drift Set
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Appreciate the response......but considering the bearings are only $32 for the pair I'm not sure about dropping over $100 on rigs to install them......lol

I'll probably Just bring the rear end to the LBS with the bearings and tell them to have at it....especially if there is a chance they go in off kilter and bind.

Sweater

Swingarm Bearings: How the heck do I remove them?

I'll support the frame as best I can on the same side I plan on pushing the bearings toward. Then I'll use a nut driver as a flat faced punch and hammer them out. I don't wail on them, just tap moderately working my way around the circumference to break it loose. Sometimes takes a while but usually gets it done. I've had to end up hitting fairly hard on some bearings I destroyed that the outer race became stuck but I've never had to use a press.
    The other thing you could do is fashion a press using a machine bolt/nut and a couple washers or a socket that fits too. Adding heat works too if you've got a propane torch or something similar. You could damage the finish with heat though so be careful if that's a concern.
    Last edited by Buzzaro; 02-10-2014 at 09:58 AM.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***