Thread: Swapping Mechs

narCOTIC

Swapping Mechs

I'm looking to swap my stock front and rear mechs on my 2002 f800 (LX front and XT rear) for new XTRs, i want to make sure i get the right ones. I have seen M971 front and rear, but do i need GS or SGS?!

Thanks in advance!

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadouken*
    I'm looking to swap my stock front and rear mechs on my 2002 f800 (LX front and XT rear) for new XTRs, i want to make sure i get the right ones. I have seen M971 front and rear, but do i need GS or SGS?!

Thanks in advance!
    Not a question of need, but want. And absolutely nothing to do with your chosen brand. Check out the sticky on the drivetrain forum.

SGS is the easiest answer, nothing wrong with it.

GS will give you some added benefits such as snappier shifts, less chain slap & noise, increased obstruction clearance, and less chance of a bent derailleur landing in your wheel, if you're willing to deal with a couple of compromises. It's up to you whether those compromises are deal breakers, or whether the benefits are truly worth it to you.

Here's a link to the sticky: When to use a Long Cage vs Short Cage Derailleur?
    speedub.nate
    · MTBR Hiatus UFN ·

narCOTIC
    Thanks mate, i was thinking to go with the SGS long cage version. Your response has been alot of help!

LA CHÈVRE
    Unless you have only 2 chainrings or a very close ratio cassette, go with the long cage. And I'd get the Shadow version, lighter, more compact, no big cable loop...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

narCOTIC
    Thanks Dan, that shadow looks pretty sweet, is it really worth the extra cash?

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Unless you have only 2 chainrings or a very close ratio cassette, go with the long cage. And I'd get the Shadow version, lighter, more compact, no big cable loop...
    There's really nothing wrong with a medium cage on a standard 3x9 setup, if the rider is OK with avoiding the small-small cross chain combos. The reduced chain slap and noise is very real, even if the other benefits seem only theoretical.
    speedub.nate
    · MTBR Hiatus UFN ·

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    There's really nothing wrong with a medium cage on a standard 3x9 setup, if the rider is OK with avoiding the small-small cross chain combos. The reduced chain slap and noise is very real, even if the other benefits seem only theoretical.
    True, but Shimano mediums have less capacity than medium SRAMs (32 vs 37) but yes, if you don't cross-chain, it will work. And it's less risky on a hardtail than on some FS bike that can make the distance between the crankset and cassette grow through their travel range...

As for the Shadow being worth it, I haven't used one on my bikes but so far, those who have seem to be happy with them.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

narCOTIC
    I usually skip up to the middle before i get near the little ring on the cassette. Which am i going to get the most benefit from, long or short (or medium)?