mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Swapping Lefty Front Wheels

I have a question about swapping the lefty front wheels. I have two sets, one is the OEM and the other is my I-9 All Mountain (which I am looking to sell). I have successfully removed the I-9 wheel and I am ready to put the OEM back on. However the OEM is missing the needle bolt mechanism like is in the picture. I guess my question is, should each wheel have that piece? If not, how do I get it out? I just dont want to screw anything up.

Thanks much!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swapping Lefty Front Wheels-photo-2011-03-13-16.51-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If you're talking about the axle cap and bolt, you can remove by using a pin spanner. There are also some dedicated lefty axle cap removal tools available on ebay.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...f8b770f3359384

It's left hand threads so turn clockwise to loosen. A new axle cap and bolt should be easy to get at your nearest Cannondale shop along with the spanner. They are also available on ebay.

Yours looks pretty gummed up so you might want to get a new one to help sell your I-9

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Yes, I guess I am talking about the axle cap and bolt. Alright, I am going to go grab what I need at the LBS and get this squared away. Funny thing is I have swapped these before and I must have not noticed the caps before.

Thanks for the tips!