mtbr member
    Aug 2013

swap lefty for standard fork?

I currently have a lefty on my Cannondale Rush SL. I was having problems with it so I sent it off to be rebuilt. When it came back it was worse than it started. So I am kind of fed up with the Lefty situation. My question is can I put a standard fork such as a Rock Shox Reba RL on my bike with out having to do a lot of swapping of parts. I know I will have to put a different front hub on but is that it? Thanks in advance for any help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hi Brett99, you will also need a new headset to reduce down the size of the Cannondale Lefty steerer. There are one or two available depending on the model you have and which forks you wish to run.
    With the Rush SL (taking it as the alloy frame) you will need a KP058 to run a 1-1/8" steerer or a KP119 for a 1.5"
    Both of these headsets are a direct replacement for the bearings in your current cups. (if carbon they press straight into your frame rather than the black cups.)

Qwerty Cycles ? Cannondale 1.5" Headset KP119

Qwerty Cycles ? Cannondale Headset Reducer, C'dale to 1 1/8" KP058

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Dare I ask, what's not doing what it should?

Otherwise, what he said....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    When I sent the fork off a seal was leaking and when I went to air it up oil would come out of the schrader valve. Now that I got it back it feels like I am riding a rigid front.I have tried adjusting the pressure and rebound but it just feels locked out. By the time I get a mile into a ride I'm getting forearm pump bad.

So I'm guessing this is a DLR type, (you have a black or blue aluminum knob to twist for locking).

If so, it's normal for oil to come out of the air valve in that fork, particularly if you try to air it up (or worse, just push the pin to release a bunch of air at once, results in Mt Vesuvius level oil blasts....)

There's oil in there to lube the air piston seals. If you don't mind the little bit while using a pump, ignore it. If it bugs you, flip the bike over and leave it for a few minutes. much less potential for mess then.

So the fork is locked, or feels like it? If it moves and just feels spikey, a lot of that will settle in once the fresh grease works in.

If you had races replaced for some reason, and they either didn't replace with the same thickness, or, perhaps thought it should be of a slightly firmer bearing preload, they may have them thickened them up, as this will help if you have rapid bearing migration issues. Either way, it'll make the fork feel a bit more like that as well......

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    They did replace the bearings. Not sure if they put thicker out standard in it. It is a DLR Speed and has the black lockout lever. I have put about 30 miles on the rebuild so far. So I should just keep riding and it will get better? That sounds a lot better than spending money to me. No oil comes out when I air it up now, is this a bad thing? Thanks for your help. I just figured I sent it to the wrong shop to have it rebuilt.

Depending on why they were replaced, they may have done the races too, if rust damage was the issue.

From that point, anyones guess as to what thickness races they used, and why. They may do great work, and have a valid reason, or they may not have any clue, and just put something in that happened to be in their parts bin, and looks similar, or, something in between.

Can't speak to the work quality, or the why.

I'd chat with them and see what they have to say about it, always the best place to start.

Suffice to say, it's not the forks fault, and it can be made to work quite well, given good feedback and work well performed.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

change is good
    Sep 2004

swap lefty for standard fork?

Cannondale factory work seems to be hit or miss. If my mechanic can't fix it, off it goes to MCSmith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My LBS that I desk with doesn't deal Cannondale. They aren't familiar with the lefty Theobald so they sent it to a phase in Michigan. I can't remember the name of the place though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LLOYDSTEVENS View Post
    Hi Brett99, you will also need a new headset to reduce down the size of the Cannondale Lefty steerer. There are one or two available depending on the model you have and which forks you wish to run.
    With the Rush SL (taking it as the alloy frame) you will need a KP058 to run a 1-1/8" steerer or a KP119 for a 1.5"
    Both of these headsets are a direct replacement for the bearings in your current cups. (if carbon they press straight into your frame rather than the black cups.)

Qwerty Cycles ? Cannondale 1.5" Headset KP119

Qwerty Cycles ? Cannondale Headset Reducer, C'dale to 1 1/8" KP058
    Which headset would you recommend for a 2006 Rush 800? I'm moving to a RockShox tapered fork?

Post you RUSH 650B

Post 58.

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Send it to Mendon Cyclesmith. It'll come back working perfectly. Craig is truly the God of Lefty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If you wanted to run a tapered fork you would need KP205.....

Click Here

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LLOYDSTEVENS View Post
    If you wanted to run a tapered fork you would need KP205.....

Click Here
    Do you know if this is available in the US?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Cannondaleexperts.com do them Click here but Qwerty Cycles do post worldwide for 6

Helmetless Crasher
    Am I reading this right - u want to buy a new fork because yours was improperly serviced?

Either make the shop rebuild it correctly or send to Mendon.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two