mtbr member
    Jun 2008

sv500 help please

HI from the U.K,
    My first post here
    A couple of questions for you,Im getting a loud click from (I belive) the bottom bracket,
    Its took a while to diagnose,But I think Im correct as it only happens when I press on the pedals,freewheeling and bouncing is silent,
    So Im after replacing it,Im led to belive its a un54 68mm - 110 spindle is this right ?

Also while im on,Whats the pivot unit called ? as Id like to replace that one as well,

The bikes an old one and ive not realy rode it for 13 months but ive already just put another 30 miles on it (6000 miles only)
    Here "she" is ..

Its the only full suss bike Ive kept,totaly love it .. but the clicking is scary

Thanks,

KK..

mtbr member
    I think you're refering to the swing arm? I think you want to put a Jekyll arm on. Pull the old bottom bracket out and check it for size. It sounds like it's cooked. If you can't read the writing measure the spindle length. It will always be 68xsomething.
    '96 Uber Light
    '00 R3000 TT
    '08 Six13

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yes the swing arm pivot
    Ive just had another look at the swingarm pivot and the chain side sticks out further than the non chain side,
    The non chain side turns about 1/2 turn before going stiff and making a hell of a crack,
    the chain side won't budge

Also the bottom bracket has plastic lock rings (both sides) which look like they are not going to stand up to removing,So it looks like a trip to the bike shop maybe in order,

As for a new rear swing arm .. not realy got a budget for that right now

Ive got to get the bike sorted and working well,or it'l end up chained to the dungeon wall again

Thanks,

KK..

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The swingarm bolt was loose on the non drive side So I had a look,
    It actualy started to unscrew,So I figured why not undo it and see if a bit of grease in there wouldn't go a miss,
    All that happened was it unscrewed so far (with a lot of squeeling ) then just spun,
    I had a look at the other side (with the crank removed) and it also started to unscrew,but it seemed to start spinning soon after as well,
    So im left with both sides loose and not much idea what to do next,as neither side will screw back in,
    heres a pic of the non drive side..

the bolt "A" spins,along with "B",
    should "B" not move at the same time ?

Has anyone got a schematic or a pic of what the pivot unit actualy looks like ?
    As I think ive just made the whole thing worse ie: now a non ridable bike

Im leaving the bottom bracket alone as I think I was wrong thinking "it" was the fault,

KK..

mtbr member
    It's a three piece system with basically two nuts and a screw in the center. It's possible that one side will not engage the threads. Take the assembly apart and reset it. If it's broken, however unlikely, you should be able to pull the pieces out.
    '96 Uber Light
    '00 R3000 TT
    '08 Six13

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for that,It gave me confidence to "fix" it,
    I only got the non drive side out and it took a lot of pulling (and a bit of swearing ) to do that,
    Infact I removed and replaced it several times and it was ok,But the chain side bolt wouldn't come out (it does unscrew)
    So the pivot is only 1/2 done,But its tight and theres no clicking noise anymore so Im happy with that

Could I tap the chain side bolt from the other side to remove it ?

Il be out tomorow on the dale,I'l get some pics of the bike for the other thread (Ive a few questions about the bike)

Thanks for your help

KK..

mtbr member
    You can drift it out from the other side. If it's a little rusty it could stick to the bearing race. You might want to use a little penatrating oil and let it sit for an hour or so. If you can find a Jekyll pivot bolt I would go that route at a later date. Simple two piece setup.
    '96 Uber Light
    '00 R3000 TT
    '08 Six13

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sounds a good idea,
    I went out today only did 12 miles (mostly on road) and did a few good climbs,
    There was no noise at all from the bike Its the first time I've been out (for a few years) without hearing clicks and clacks,

Only slight issue is I removed one of the bearing "cages" and it woudn't go back in,But the seal is in place held in by the bolt,So I don't expect any problems

I'l replace the bearings soon as,

I had a look and the bike was bought in 9,97,And I only got my grubbys on it 5,2000
    I know for the first couple of years it never saw dirt (a mate rode to work on it)
    And apart from it being run over by a car,And thrown to the ground and jumped on by muggers its had an easy life

Thanks again

KK..