mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Super V 500 or F1000 CAAD4??

Hey to all,

Need some advice, please. I'm normally a road biker. But, at my lake place it's nothing but gravel roads, dirt roads and some trails. I'd like to stay on a bike when I'm out there.'

I've got my eye on a 2000 Super V 500 for less than $300 or a 2000, maybe a 99?, F1000 CAAD4.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

thanks in advance!

Bill

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'd go with a cyclecross bike myself, but the hardtail F1000 will probably be the closest to what you are looking for.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by willevans
    I'd go with a cyclecross bike myself, but the hardtail F1000 will probably be the closest to what you are looking for.
    I agree. But between both, I'd go for the F1000. The Super V is an outdated FS design, not too good compared to a modern FS bike and not too efficient at pedaling. On top of that, rear suspension is a nuisance on gravel and dirt roads. The F1000 on the other hand still hold it's own to current hardtails, it will be lighter, stiffer and a much more efficient pedaler.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I agree with the previous posts, go for the F1000. Then invest in some good tyres depending on your needs, maybe a 2.25" if they wil fit, that will give you some extra comfort withous any real penaltys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Another vote for the F1000!
    I just built up a sub-17lb Caad5 frame and it is one of the best frames I have ridden thus far!