Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Just a small example of why I don't relish telling every DIYer out there how to do so.

This rolled in this AM, nice work, eh?

See one or two of these a month, and due to the mentality of the average DIYer, they aren't often happy with the bill if you know what I mean!

Why I don't try to fix my computer, car, plumbing, whatever, I don't want to be the guy that cost himself more, trying to save himself some.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Super Fatty M Headshok Disassembly and reassembly, Step by Step -My Experience-damper.jpg  

This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Aaand part 2.....

If you're gonna go, go big!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Super Fatty M Headshok Disassembly and reassembly, Step by Step -My Experience-2.jpg  

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Wow... that's insane.. looks like somebody used a tin-opener from a swiss army knife for that one..!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mac the Knife View Post
    Wow... that's insane.. looks like somebody used a tin-opener from a swiss army knife for that one..!!
    Don't even get me started on a guy from Canada's RLC, whole thing had been "expertly and fully serviced" prior to sale on eBay, did the whole thing with a pair of Vice Grips......

Yeah, DIY gone wrong, been there, seen that.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Just a small example of why I don't relish telling every DIYer out there how to do so.

This rolled in this AM, nice work, eh?

See one or two of these a month, and due to the mentality of the average DIYer, they aren't often happy with the bill if you know what I mean!

Why I don't try to fix my computer, car, plumbing, whatever, I don't want to be the guy that cost himself more, trying to save himself some.....
    What's wrong with it? Looks fine to me....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hello guys. I'm making a custom foldable ebike with 12" wheels. I needed a small suspension fork and cannondale headshok seemed the only one that is possible to shorten by 7 inches. So I looked for dirty cheap fork to play on. And here it is, 20 worth of 1999 Super Fatty M:
    Name:  Lbk2jCa.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  14.5 KB

It seemed kinda okay (but very fast rebound), but I took it apart anyway, just to give it a fresh start. And what would you know, I noticed a few things that are so wrong... Someone has already messed with it.
    Super Fatty M Headshok Disassembly and reassembly, Step by Step -My Experience-glzu6mz.jpg

1. First thing I noticed is that both elastomeric tubes are next to each other, sitting between piston [7] and cartridge cap [9]. I was able to find a service manual on MC50/MC60 (this one is MC80) and, according to it, smaller one goes on top of cartridge cap [9]. Is this correct?

2. There was a small piece of aluminum foil [1] laid inside the groove of piston [7]. On top of it were two rubber rings [2] and [3]. On top of those was a plastic wear ring [4]. I assume the foil [1] was added by someone to compensate on ring [4] wear. Despite that, is this correct?

3. Cartridge cap [9] is a mystery. When I removed it, rubber ring [8] (badly crushed) just fell off, no idea where it should go. I guess it must be rolled on the top most of the cap (marked with two red lines), to seal the cartridge. But there is a problem: raceway retaining clip [11] does not fit properly on to the cap [9] and does not go all the way to the top, which means no sealing on the cartridge possible... And on lower part it is too loose. Also there is one unexpected part - steel ring [11]. It looks like a custom (poorly) machined part. Internal diameter is the same as raceway retaining clip [11], thickness as well. And yes, it does not fit on top of cartridge cap's step up to red lines.
    To me this looks like some parts came from different fork... How should it all fit together?

P.S. if all goes well, I will machine the piston rod and replace seal [10], but this puzzle has to be sorted out first...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Super Fatty M Headshok Disassembly and reassembly, Step by Step -My Experience-ylbcmkx.jpg  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3