Thread: Super Fatty D -

mtbr member
    May 2008

Super Fatty D -

Hoping I didn't screw the pooch on this one.

Last night I was replacing my 120mm stem with a 55mm one, and ran into a huge ass problem. While trying to remove the cap on the fork, it turns out that I removed the while pin - sorry damn stupid on the tech term.

I put on the new stem, and tried to tighten the cap. NO CAN DO. I pushed down as hard as I could and still could not get the threads to catch.

The shock pretty much collapsed when the pin was removed, BUT when pulling on the fork, I was able to extend it back out again.

Is there a trick to getting this cap tightened again??? It's becoming a PAIN in the ass.

Thanks for the help!

Ridin' dirty!
    Reduce the preload on the spring if it's a coil system first, or release all the air on the bottom of the fork before you go any further!Then go ahead and remove the black rubber dial with an allen key (I believe it's a 5mm),
    To reduce the preload on the coil you have to slide an allen key into the hole you'll see when removing the black damping dial on top.
    Turn it counter clockwise, this will make the spring softer and easier to install the cartridge back in place.
    Extend the damper all the way, slide a castle tool into the steerer tube and secure the cartridge by screwing it in clockwise.
    Once the cartridge is secured, close the top, using a green or red park tool pin spanner.
    Adjust the stiffness of the spring (pre-load it by doing the opposite of what's mentioned above).
    Put the black dial back and secure it with the little black tapered head hex screw.
    Done.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Oh man thank you SO MUCH!! I will give this a shot tonight!

You may be totally saving me from missing some sweet trails this weekend!

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by spokesnwheels
    Oh man thank you SO MUCH!! I will give this a shot tonight!

You may be totally saving me from missing some sweet trails this weekend!
    You're welcome!
    Now let's just hope it doesn't rain!
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V