Thread: Stuck OPI Stem?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Stuck OPI Stem?

Sorry if this is a daft question but is there an easy way of getting the OPI stem out? I'm trying to remove the lefty from the frame on my new Flash 29er 3 carbon (arrived this afternoon!) and the stem seems to be stuck somehow...

I followed the instructions on P12/13 of the 2011 owners manual in reverse (installation steps) - I've unscrewed the steerer, then removed it. Then I loosened the upper and lower clamp bolts. The OPI stem will rotate a little inside the bolts / bearings but will not pull out. I gave it a few whacks with a rubber mallet but that started to move the top bearing out of the frame and I didn't want to damage the frame bearing cups. Do these stems normally need a bit of welly to shift? or have I missed something out?

Many thanks for any advice.

(bike is lovely btw!)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I use the kt020 Ernie tool to knock the stem out from the bottom. The tool is hard plastic and won't damage the bottom of the stem. You could tap the underside of the stem but the force would be at an angle and may damage the bearings. You could probably borrow one at a local cannondale dealer or use a fat wooden dowel that fits inside the steerer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    audibmi: that worked a treat - I used the wooden handle of a mallet in there and it knocked it out nice and straight (hitting the head of the mallet with another mallet!) thanks!