Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

Strength question

Do you guys think a 300lb guy would destroy a Caffeine 29er frame? My cousin wants to buy a bike and I thought I would offer to cut him a deal on stuff I have laying around but am wondering if the frame can take it. Should I lean him toward a gusseted, overkill frame of some sort or do you think a Caffeine 29er would stand up? We/he would be riding fast single track and Xcountry. No drops/jumps/abuse would be encountered...

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX
    Do you guys think a 300lb guy would destroy a Caffeine 29er frame? My cousin wants to buy a bike and I thought I would offer to cut him a deal on stuff I have laying around but am wondering if the frame can take it. Should I lean him toward a gusseted, overkill frame of some sort or do you think a Caffeine 29er would stand up? We/he would be riding fast single track and Xcountry. No drops/jumps/abuse would be encountered...
    Did you buy the bike new? You can sell him the bike and still maintain the warranty. So the worst case would be he is waiting for a new frame while everyone else is out riding.

Edit: I guess the real worst case would be having a catastrophic frame failure going full tilt down some gnarly singletrack, but that's pretty unlikely.
    Ouch

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I did buy it new but it's currently just a frame so I doubt they'd honor a warranty claim at this point...

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX
    I did buy it new but it's currently just a frame so I doubt they'd honor a warranty claim at this point...
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the bike just needs to be in assembled condition at the time of the claim.
    Ouch